"Jet Fighter" or "Fighter Jet"?

But those are Attack Jets! (Or Training Attack Jets when I flew them :) )

Yeah the irony. Don’t tell my friend that though because he dogfights F-35s with them. Not sure how effective they are as an aggressor against 5th generation fighters though.

Wonder what John Wayne Jones would say about the subject?

Even the Air Force is confused.

https://www.jble.af.mil/News/Commen...2351/defining-the-5th-generation-fighter-jet/
First generation fighter jets exploited technologies first generated during World War II, specifically the jet engine and swept wing technology. The U.S. F-86 Sabre and the Soviet MiG-15 Fagot represented the apex of this generation as they fought over the skies of Korea.

...and then this in the same article:
The sleek F-104 Starfighter and the universal MiG-21 Fishbed are two classic examples of the second generation of jet fighters.

Yeah the irony. Don’t tell my friend that though because he dogfights F-35s with them. Not sure how effective they are as an aggressor against 5th generation fighters though.

"Aggressor" isn't really what it perhaps was in the 1970's/1980's. Just gotta be a piece of flying metal. USN contract redair is limited to 180 degrees of turn at the merge (if they even get there) per the DoD contract, so "dogfighting" isn't a thing with them. You might get into a bit of a hoolie with the USNR VFC types if you screwed up, but that isn't typical (screwing up is, but dogfighting an F-5 or camo hornet out on the range isn't as much). Gone are the days when we used those guys for dedicated DACT, in a BFM/dogfighting sense (sorry AF types, I know I am savaging your lingo here), and where they actually came back and instructed in the debrief.

"Aggressor" isn't really what it perhaps was in the 1970's/1980's. Just gotta be a piece of flying metal. USN contract redair is limited to 180 degrees of turn at the merge (if they even get there) per the DoD contract, so "dogfighting" isn't a thing with them. You might get into a bit of a hoolie with the USNR VFC types if you screwed up, but that isn't typical (screwing up is, but dogfighting an F-5 or camo hornet out on the range isn't as much). Gone are the days when we used those guys for dedicated DACT, in a BFM/dogfighting sense (sorry AF types, I know I am savaging your lingo here), and where they actually came back and instructed in the debrief.
This post makes me sad. :(

Nauga,
who didn't realize they were the good ole days at the time

This post makes me sad. :(

Nauga,
who didn't realize they were the good ole days at the time

It is what it is. We just do most of that stuff via an in house syllabus now. The adversaries are there for BVR training, whether that be FRS, pre-deployment workups, or TOPGUN. They are occasionally available for squadron level ULT (or CT for my friends in blue) red air, but mostly they are tied up with the previously mentioned training events and as reservists (at least aside from some individuals who might be Active), they aren't funded for or manned to provide regular fleet support to individual squadrons. We used to have several reserve air wings, and more VFC/VC's than you could swing a stick at. Now we have 5 VFC, and 3 of them are F-5's which don't exactly serve much use for anyone other than radar targets.

The USAF contract guys can do unlimited maneuvering; no 180 degree stop for them.

35 is spot on though; not enough experience in the CAF to have the top guys in the aggressors that teach the CAF. Now we are lucky if the red air guys know what type of problem they are trying to present.

The USAF contract guys can do unlimited maneuvering; no 180 degree stop for them.

35 is spot on though; not enough experience in the CAF to have the top guys in the aggressors that teach the CAF. Now we are lucky if the red air guys know what type of problem they are trying to present.

Buddy of mine sent me a pic of the Draken A-4's out on the ramp in Fallon today. Hadn't realized they got a USN contract. Pretty cool, and hopefully also not 180 lim.

Damn, that is sad. Is this just the contract guys or the AGRS, too?

We could just go like the Brits do and call them "Fast Jets" but then how do we describe the A-10? :D

Well see, where I am, we often use the phrase “jet fighters.” However...you’re going to love this...we’re usually talking about the pilots! Example: when aircraft are assigned to the schedule, the duty may say “jet fighters, you can walk.” It’s a phrase of endearment...

Fast mover, jet fighter, fighter jet, or whatever. Best show of force ever!

if those are “slow walkers,” then what is your Flybaby?
Invisible. Our satellites were designed to detect missile launches from the heat of their rockets, so it took a pretty good heat source for them to spot an airplane. Fly Baby doesn't even come close....

We weren't tasked specifically to look for aircraft, but every once in a while you'd see a slow track.

Ron Wanttaja

Back