Tips / Suggestions on Controlling the Weather

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
So, supposed to have PPL check ride this Saturday. Forecast is day by day looking worse and worse. If this is missed it will probably be January - if a DPE can be found.

And BTW my CFI has departed for the airlines. (But at least I have all of my endorsements).

Any tricks on making the weather cooperate? Understand to use this power for only good, not bad.....

Move to the Atacama. It's the only way.

Ahhhhh..... That's one of the 3 W's that screws up flying. Work, women and weather. (No offence to any woman who promotes flying. You ladies are the best!!!) :)

I would pray for bad forecasts now, they will definitely change by Saturday.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!

I was told that "Mother Nature hates checkrides", and my pp-asel checkride went to prove that saying. But this time of year you should have no problem with the weather. Oh, wait....

-Skip

I was told that "Mother Nature hates checkrides", ....

-Skip

:yeahthat:

The first date I had for my Sport Pilot checkride was the day hurricane Irma hit Florida. Ended up getting it done about 6 weeks later.

When I tried to do my PPL ride the first time, we completed the oral portion but had to defer the flight since we had crosswinds gusting 20 to 25 knots and I was flying a light sport. Got the ride done a few weeks later.

My best advice is to try sacrificing a virgin. If you can find one. If not, try tossing a CFI into an active volcano. Might not help, but you'll feel better.

The day of my private check ride there was a 22 knot crosswind 90° to the runway and I had to fly to a different airport to meet the DPE. My CFI said go, you got this. I died in a fiery crash off the end of the runway.... Wait, that's not right.... Nope, all went well and I guess I passed.

Sizable contribution to the Illuminati. They control the weather (and climate too).

Try not even looking at the wx in any way shape or form for 24hrs. I think looking at it too much just makes it worse...speaking from experience LOL :)

Maybe something like this will happen. My check ride was early February. You can easily go 2 weeks up here with no VFR flying. The date was picked about 10 days in advance. The DPE has a huge list of checkrides lined up. I knew it would be cold. But it also looked like it would snow. Great. The night before the DPE contacted me and said we will probably scrub but lets decide in the morning. I was sure it would be scrubbed so slept good. I had taken the check ride day off so dropped my daughter off at school. Then he calls. We're on. He's already driving to the airport. The tannis was plugged in and it was ready to go. So the morning of the checkride was -8F....still the coldest flight I've done. He said he like 20 or 30 other check rides lined up and since I was willing to go this cold I was #1. It started snowing about 30 minutes after the check ride!

So you never know. Be ready. Stay ready. Stop looking at the wx for a bit. The DPE might see something that you don't and give you a nudge. Of course he might also be waiting for you to call it. It will all work out. If there is anything universal in aviation...the harder you push the longer it takes.

The weather is always good on the days your not going to fly.

beheaded-chicken.jpg

Ahhhhh..... That's one of the 3 W's that screws up flying. Work, women and weather. (No offence to any woman who promotes flying. You ladies are the best!!!) :)

Maybe change it to "Work, Wives, and Weather" to be more specific.

You must sacrifice 10 Bernoulli’s. Live. None of the canned ones

So, supposed to have PPL check ride this Saturday. Forecast is day by day looking worse and worse. If this is missed it will probably be January - if a DPE can be found.

I've started more than a few practical tests by making the statement, "It's a miracle!" After all, in some small fashion, it is. Two people, their schedules match. An airworthy aircraft has been found. The weather is acceptable. No one is sick. No personal emergencies have occurred.

I have one applicant who has lived a bit of a charmed scheduling life. From his private all the way to multiengine instructor, it's just always worked out for him. Another applicant, same timeframe, different story. Lots of discontinuances and rescheduling.

Sometimes it takes more than a few tries.

It is simply part of the journey! It helps if you think of it as an adventure.

You know that HAARP (High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program) is no longer a Government "Program", right? It now belongs to the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. Just give them a call and tell them that you have a "science project" you'd like help with. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you do it in the name of science.

Hey - weather got a little better.... so something you all are doing is working; appreciate it .... but not quite enough. Slight break in cloud cover for a few hours this afternoon, but winds 12 gusting to 20kts.

Check ride delayed 1 week. The battle continues!

You should be good in 12 knots of wind, even crosswind. 20knots is getting to be another matter. I used to fly a lot of tailwheel time, and tried to plan so it would not be over 12 knots or so crosswind. The Pilot Notes say, "The airplane can be landed across the wind, but it is undesirable to do so if the wind is much over 20 mph". We sometimes here get winds that in the ATIS, say 240 at 10 gusting to 28. So you have to decide if its going to be 10 when you are on shout final or 28. Some tense few moments at times.

Hey - weather got a little better.... so something you all are doing is working; appreciate it .... but not quite enough. Slight break in cloud cover for a few hours this afternoon, but winds 12 gusting to 20kts.

Check ride delayed 1 week. The battle continues!

If you want, I’ll be glad to arrange good weather for you for a flat fee of $100. Only pay for results, no charge if it doesn’t work, so there’s no risk to you at all.

Just let me know.

If you want, I’ll be glad to arrange good weather for you for a flat fee of $100. Only pay for results, no charge if it doesn’t work, so there’s no risk to you at all.

Just let me know.

Hey - how can I loose? I'd also like to take you up on that multi level marketing time share offer you PM'ed me about.

You should be good in 12 knots of wind, even crosswind. 20knots is getting to be another matter. I used to fly a lot of tailwheel time, and tried to plan so it would not be over 12 knots or so crosswind. The Pilot Notes say, "The airplane can be landed across the wind, but it is undesirable to do so if the wind is much over 20 mph". We sometimes here get winds that in the ATIS, say 240 at 10 gusting to 28. So you have to decide if its going to be 10 when you are on shout final or 28. Some tense few moments at times.

The way I look at it, my goal is to get the highest probability of passing. Doing an engine out short final simulation with gusting 20 kts wind would stack the odds against me. Trying to circle around the point, S curves, etc. same thing. Besides, the CFE called my CFI (they know each other) and said it would be my call, but he'd heavily advise against the test today. CFI concurred. So thankfully God gave me enough to actually listen to people a lot smarter and a lot more experienced.

This way, I've got a couple more days lined up with new CFI to rehearse a few more times. One more week won't kill me. It's all good.

Edit---idk why this posted as a separate message...please see below for my actual post)

Last edited:
Tastefully sexist, so I'll let it slide...lmao

Anyway, I got screwed out of flying today too. I did my best, tho. After I got done whining to my bf about it this morning, I laid in bed and pushed my palms up towards the ceiling and said "Rise, clouds...RISE!!!" It did not work...and my bf remarked how I looked like an idiot. This in no way means that I will not try it again.

Hey - how can I loose? I'd also like to take you up on that multi level marketing time share offer you PM'ed me about.

Excellent. Just PM me your credit card number. Don't forget the expiration date and that little security code thingy on the back. I promise I won't charge the card until you get good weather, so there's no risk to you at all!

I'm glad you'd like to get into the multi-level marketing / time share deal, too! The time share alpaca farms are the most promising investment opportunity since commemorative plates. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Make sure you’re not prepared, then it’s guaranteed to be nice.
Like having an umbrella keeps the rain away.

Tom

I'm adding another "W" - wherewithal - you ain't going nowhere without it!

Keep up the great work. The weather predictions are shifting. I might have an opening in the weather tomorrow after all!

Keep up the great work. The weather predictions are shifting. I might have an opening in the weather tomorrow after all!

Still working on it. Even though it’s improving already, you won’t owe me a dime until you take off for your checkride.

Be sure to tell other students and your CFI. I will make them the same no-risk offer.

Good luck on the checkride. My third attempt (all cancellations for DPE availability so far, so no failures) is currently set for Sunday but the forecast is questionable at best right now so it may have to wait even longer. This waiting game sucks!!!!

Back