Want to upgrade this PTT.

southallb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
southallb
Sticks sometimes, not a lot of button travel, and almost flush to yoke...suggestions on how to get it out?

Attachments

• 30710183-D3E3-43DD-905C-F4670214A74D.jpeg
    30710183-D3E3-43DD-905C-F4670214A74D.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 865F519B-30DC-4240-B395-E624B127CB81.jpeg
    865F519B-30DC-4240-B395-E624B127CB81.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 121
It looks like a six-sided nut holding it in place, deep in that recess.

So use a deep socket, with thin walls. On a socket wrench.

What is it, anyway? Push to talk button?

Surprised it works ,try pulling back up with some needle nose pliers.

It looks like a six-sided nut holding it in place, deep in that recess.

So use a deep socket, with thin walls. On a socket wrench.

What is it, anyway? Push to talk button?
There are definitely threads on upper portion, but no nut that I can see...

There are definitely threads on upper portion, but no nut that I can see...

In your photo, I think I see three edges of a nut. Its condition looks kinda messy, maybe because of the lighting, but that's what it seems like to me. I've drawn an outline around what I perceive, as the six sides of the nut.

upload_2019-12-12_21-42-58.png

So, I'm guessing that your PTT switch is something like one of these (images from Aircraft Spruce). Note the nut in the first image; the second switch does come with a nut, but it's not shown in the photo. Search Spruce for PTT switch, for more examples. Hope that helps.

11-03909.jpg
8631ZBD2.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-12_21-48-11.png
    upload_2019-12-12_21-48-11.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 12
Obviously installed aftermarket, you will probably destroy it to remove it. Grab it with a pair of duckbill pliers and pull it out, you'll probably need to cut some tyraps to allow the wire length needed to pull it out and work with it. I would suggest twisting it back and forth before pulling on it.

Not the funnest thing to do but doable..

I've had my drill and easy out drawer open at times doing this as well...

When you fit the new switch, glue it in with a washer that will cover that ragged hole and hold it to where you can better actuate it.

If memory serves, there was some sort of FAA document about drilling out those old yokes after some failures.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. Super helpful. I have ordered new PTT and will post pics of the before and after.

If a thinwall deep socket doesn't fit you might be able to get some small needlenose pliers in there to turn the nut. Another option would be a small flathead screwdriver to press against the edge of the nut and rotate it. Not fun but once it starts to spin it should spin easily and come out fairly quick.

The switch looks like it's toast. If it were me, I'd snap off the button and drill out the guts of the switch. At that point you likely could compress the sides enough (maybe with a small screwdriver) where you could get a needle-nose pliers in the hole and pull-out the carcass. I think any effort to try to save the switch would be futile.

If the switch has threads you may be able to get a sleeve nut on the threads and use that pull it out. With or without removing any nut that is presently on the switch.
11-03909.jpg

upload_2019-12-17_21-46-44.jpeg

upload_2019-12-17_21-47-2.jpeg

Someone here will be able to suggest a likely thread for the required nut or you could take off the nut that appears to be in the hole and get something to match.

Try pulling the switch out of the hole. I am thinking that on an installation like this, the switch just pushed in to the yoke and had a grommet type cover on top. There is no way it can fall out since you always push on the switch ....so maybe it is a press in fit...maybe..

Removed old switch, required pliers and 1/4 in drill bit. Installed new switch on base of yoke, little bit of solder and some heat shrink tubing and done.

Back