ADSB Recommendations?

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
It is kind of funny, after two years of selling ADSB units to be asking for a recommendation, but I can't pry any sort of answer out of my former supplier.

Friend with an elderly Cherokee wants recommendations for an economy ADSB out only. What is the current state of affairs?

THanks,

Jim

A friend of mine just bought a c310 that needs ADSB. He has been researching it and really likes the Tail Beacon. Good price and easy install.

I warned him that it is UAT and if he wants to fly to Canada or other international destinations (in airspace where ADSB is requrired) he would need 1090. He doesn't plan to fly out of the country, but it may be a consideration.

I second the TailBeacon. I just installed one on my Arrow, and it has worked great so far. It is currently ~$2000 for the unit itself.

I waited for the TailBeacon and it is PERFECT what what I needed... installed it myself, and it just works... I fly DAY VFR only and the NAV lights are always on anyway so it just works., On the Cherokee it is up higher and out of the way, less likely to get knocked off or otherwise damaged...

I have a thread going about my current installation process of a Garmin GDL 82 w/GPS in my EXPERIMENTAL Light Sport Sky Arrow. $1,795 from Sporty’s.

I’ve had great reliability and customer support from Garmin over the years, and that was no small factor in my choice. As was my existing Garmin transponder. The TailBeacon was not a real option, since my plane has no rear position light.

I don’t know about increased costs installing the same basic unit in a “certified” plane.

Yeah, TailBeacon is a really good option for anything certified that has a light on the tail. A lot of Grumman owners have gone that way if they have decided they don't want a transponder-based option.

UAvionix not an option for me. Went with Appareo. Flight checked out good so no complaints.

I have followed ADS-B closely for about the last 2 1/2 years. I studied the subject closely including the popular avionics that interface with and are effected by the various products. My conclusion was that I wanted a Xponder with both OUT and IN. For a plane with a Garmin Navigator, the 345 makes perfect sense. If you have a Navigator, the plane likely is a traveling plane that will be in the clouds for serious flying from time time. The 345 plays well with the Navigators.

For a less expensive recreational plane where a Navigator is not justifiable, the Appareo/Stratus combination is a great inexpensive solution that provides an out solution with a modern Xponder an AHRS sensor for Pad AHRS and Pad IN. Jim has helped lots of folks to install it themselves which has made it only marginally more expensive than the beacon with a lot more functionality.

I am glad that the Beacon is out there for those with limited flying funds, but it has always appeared to me not to be a substantial solution by many measures. It provides legal compliance and that’s all.

I have followed ADS-B closely for about the last 2 1/2 years. I studied the subject closely including the popular avionics that interface with and are effected by the various products. My conclusion was that I wanted a Xponder with both OUT and IN. For a plane with a Garmin Navigator, the 345 makes perfect sense. If you have a Navigator, the plane likely is a traveling plane that will be in the clouds for serious flying from time time. The 345 plays well with the Navigators.

For a less expensive recreational plane where a Navigator is not justifiable, the Appareo/Stratus combination is a great inexpensive solution that provides an out solution with a modern Xponder an AHRS sensor for Pad AHRS and Pad IN. Jim has helped lots of folks to install it themselves which has made it only marginally more expensive than the beacon with a lot more functionality.

I am glad that the Beacon is out there for those with limited flying funds, but it has always appeared to me not to be a substantial solution by many measures. It provides legal compliance and that’s all.

While I really wanted to go with a complete transponder solution with ADS-B out and in, the problem was that I was struggling to find an avionics shop that be able to get me in, be reasonably priced, or even talk to me before January 1st. Since I'm based at a class C airport, that would have effectively grounded me. Also since I just purchased my plane earlier this year, I didn't have the luxury of time unfortunately.

Also, I've had no problems with the TailBeacon working with my somewhat ancient Narco transponder, another reason I really wanted to do a complete upgrade.

The least expensive options are UAT add-ons, like the Uavionix or Garmin GDL-82 tack-on solutions that will work with a legacy transponder. $1800 or so plus labor. If you want a complete in-out option to play with your GPS boxes and EFBs (or standalone screen), then there are good 1090ES choices, like the NGT-9000 and GTX-345. But the latter are not the least expensive options, maybe $7000 installed. (Well, that was what is was before the installation crush.)

A friend of mine just bought a c310 that needs ADSB. He has been researching it and really likes the Tail Beacon. Good price and easy install.

I warned him that it is UAT and if he wants to fly to Canada or other international destinations (in airspace where ADSB is requrired) he would need 1090. He doesn't plan to fly out of the country, but it may be a consideration.

My understanding is the 1090 requirement in Canada may or may not happen, but it is not currently active. Anyone know different?

From AOPA: "Nav Canada is requiring 1090ES ADS-B Out equipage with antenna diversity beginning February 25, 2021, at and above Flight Level 180. On January 27, 2022, that ceiling drops to 12,500 feet. No earlier than January 1, 2023, it will add lower “Class C, D, and E airspace as required.”

uAvionix tailBeacon or skyBeacon for lowest purchase and install costs (UAT only)

Friend with an elderly Cherokee wants recommendations for an economy ADSB out only. What is the current state of affairs?
tailBeacon without a doubt. Easiest, least expensive installation of any other units. Works with the existing Mode C transponder.

uAvionics Skybeacon and Tailbeacon are both low cost options. I installed GDL82’s in both my aircraft along with like-new GTX327 transponders from Ebay...about $350 each with trays and connectors. I have installed 6 other GDL82 units, and a GTX 345 for an owner so it would show traffic and wx on his GNS430W. ACS sells the GDL82 for $1695 including tax and shipping...most often you also need the RAMI AV74 to comply with the TSO requirements from Garmin. Jim sells the Stratus ESG...also a good unit.

Good price on that GDL 82 - I paid more from Sporty’s.

Not sure the tailBeacon and skyBeacon are a lot less, unless installation costs are far less:

49218084476_93691f53f8.jpg

Not sure the tailBeacon and skyBeacon are a lot less, unless installation costs are far less
Usually about an hour on the airplane plus whatever it takes for paperwork.

Depends. If he has an old cavity tube transponder, bite the bullet and get a new transponder with adsb and gps. If he has a good transponder, get on of the stand alone. I had a old at-50, didn't make sense to keep it and add adsb. Good thing I did because a week before I was going to order the new on the at-50 died.

Stratus - works great and I get traffic on my iPad, as well as Synthetic Vision.

A year or two ago, there was a thread somewhere about a legal issue with equipping Skycatcher (Cessna 162) LSAs with ADSB, owing to lack of a Cessna-approved method of compliance. Does anyone know if that ever got resolved?

Back