Pondering beef ribs

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Since @Ted DuPuis has trademarked the "thinking about" series of threads, I am left to ponder. But, we talking ribs. Beef ribs. I've got pork ribs down to a science.

My venue will probably be oven baking, since they generally seem to be bigger that pork ribs, I'm cramped on bbq space, and plus it's hard to control the temperature in an 18 inch Weber for hours at a time with no functional bottom damper.

And suggestions? Same as pork ribs? Different?

@Matthew ?

I appreciate you not making me slap you with a copyright infringement suit. Ponder away. ;)

I'm not a big fan of beef ribs, but if I were guessing, I would say probably start them in the smoke until up around 100* internal. I believe the magic number is 117* where meat no longer accepts the smoke flavor. After that, wrap in foil and finish in low (250ish?) oven. Unwrap when at target temp (not sure what that is for beef - similar to brisket I would guess?) and throw back on grill for firming up and saucing.

I've cooked beef ribs on a smoker once. Someone gave me a couple cases of the brontosaurus version, about 80lb total. It was pretty much a waste of time. They tasted good, but needed a lot more time than what was available, so they got rushed and just didn't render down as much as I wished. The end result should come out something like a good burnt end, so cooking and finishing temps are similar.

This looks like a decent recipe, but be aware that beef ribs can be cut and trimmed in a number of different ways and the cooking procedures may vary:

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/smoked-bbq-beef-ribs/

I'm not a big fan of beef ribs
I can't blame anyone for not being a big fan of beef ribs. If you have never had really good one's, why would you be? And really good ones are hard to find. The few places I have found good ones only server them once or twice a week, and sometimes, those days vary. It is hit and miss and depends on luck (or inside information).

The link that @Matthew provided is a pretty good recipe. But in my opinion, they have to be eaten fresh. Unlike most pork bbq, reheated beef ribs just lose their luster. I love them hot off the grill with juice dripping down my wrist. But a short rest, or even a good rest in a good cooler, as described works well too.

Fancy rubs are a waste of time. Salt and pepper, and maybe some garlic is all you need. Less popular is a sprinkle of cayenne, but I like it.
The important part, as was specified in the the link, is to get good ribs to start with. In my opinion, the bigger the better, as long as they have not cut all the meat off.
This is one of my favorite things to cook on my big green egg, but any cooker that you can set for a good long cook without having to nurse it all day will do.

Blasphemy - I'm a condo dweller with no access to a smoker. Any good suggestions for pork or beef ribs in the (gasp) crock pot?
Alternately, I can put the toaster oven outside or in the garage as a slow cooker oven, but the dripping fat can be a problem.

Blasphemy - I'm a condo dweller with no access to a smoker. Any good suggestions for pork or beef ribs in the (gasp) crock pot?
Alternately, I can put the toaster oven outside or in the garage as a slow cooker oven, but the dripping fat can be a problem.
I do a really good North Carolina style pulled pork in the crock pot, but for ribs, I think your best bet, sans charcoal or wood, is in the oven with a good rub or sauce.

Just like pork ribs low and slow... my brother does them in his smoker... I am not a big Beef Rib fan, but they are awesome..

What is your procedure for pork ribs?

Fairly simple. I strip the membrane off the back, rub them down with the seasoning of choice, and prop them standing up inside the turkey roaster (I use my Weber coal holders to do that but other things will work as well,) then I cook them 5-6 hours at 250 with the lid on. They come out perfect.

Barring the turkey roaster in the oven, you could do the same in the crock pot, but you would probably have to at least quarter them to fit, depending on the size and shape of your crock pot. 6 hours on high, or 8-10 on low should do it. Again, stand them up so they don't render in their own fat, and try to leave air gaps on all sides.

After pondering beef ribs for a few hours I ended up with leftover contest brisket. It was delicious.

After pondering beef ribs for a few hours I ended up with leftover contest brisket. It was delicious.

Oh right. Even a eunuch guarding the harem gets his privileges.

Not comparing you with a eunuch to be clear, but I would have loved to have sampled that brisket.

Beef ribs are a beautiful thing braised and roasted in red wine, herbs, and garlic in a dutch oven for hours. "Silky" is the word.. just awesome. Wouldn't do them any other way. Smoker/BBQ? Pork ribs and beef brisket. Beef ribs? Dutch oven.

Oh right. Even a eunuch guarding the harem gets his privileges.

Not comparing you with a eunuch to be clear, but I would have loved to have sampled that brisket.
Not technically a eunuch. Problem with contest bbq is that it’s typically very heavily seasoned since you need to make it pop for the judges when they take that one bite. Now I’m really thirsty from that extra salt.

Beef ribs are a beautiful thing braised and roasted in red wine, herbs, and garlic in a dutch oven for hours. "Silky" is the word.. just awesome. Wouldn't do them any other way. Smoker/BBQ? Pork ribs and beef brisket. Beef ribs? Dutch oven.

This. And in a pinch the crock pot on low low low for a loooong time.

And don’t waste that amazing cooking liquid. Some needs to be simmered down for sauce and the rest used for various other things.

This. And in a pinch the crock pot on low low low for a loooong time.

And don’t waste that amazing cooking liquid. Some needs to be simmered down for sauce and the rest used for various other things.
I'd like to try this method for a change sometime. There is probably enough to go on here, but can you two give any other tips for making this work?

I like the crispy bark I get off the grill, but I'm always open to new cooking strategies.

Braised. That sounds like a great idea. I have had braised beef short ribs that were awesome. But, short ribs ≠ ribs.

But, short ribs ≠ ribs.

No, they do not, but they can be made damn yummy. Was strolling through the Food Kitty this evening looking for inspiration, as M'lady was late home and the 'Sup was up to me. Found some pseudo-short ribs (marked flank something or another) with a manager mark down that put a two person (plus) serving at $7. Did a quick google for a pressure cooker recipe. Added $3 worth of onions, carrots, and beans (my audible) to the cart. Salvaged some sprouting russet taters from Turkey Day for a fine mash base, and Vee-oh-lah! Dinner! It all came together ten minutes after M'lady got home, and she, the budding vegetarian, did not complain (maybe it was the accompanying Petit Sirah).

All I can give at this late juncture is a photo of the leftovers, for lunch tomorrow:

Y3w0tGTl.jpg

Went to the "County Line Barbecue" in Austin Texas a few years back. Ordered the Beef Rib dinner.
And I got.....ONE RIB......but it was the size of a compound bow!
Amazing, and cars were lined up to park for several hundred yards on a Friday night.

Had short ribs at Disney last week that were very good, fall off the bone.

I grew up on a farm where short ribs were the norm. I would rather have them then pork ribs anytime.

Back