Nothing to see here... just move along to the next thread...

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Now for the next challenge that starts in January

80A8BE07-73DE-4431-AE5C-C00FF0164334.jpeg

Examiner was Pat Brown from Houston. Very thorough, very fair.

He won 2 rounds of stump the applicant that had me digging into the FARS for the answer.

1) if you passenger shows up very inebriated, can you depart on your Part 91 flight? (If you have the answer, include the reg citation)

2) if you overfly a sporting event TFR, what is the lowest altitude you can be?

Congratulations on the check ride!

1) if you passenger shows up very inebriated, can you depart on your Part 91 flight? (If you have the answer, include the reg citation)

NO - 91.17
(b) Except in an emergency, no pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a person who appears to be intoxicated or who demonstrates by manner or physical indications that the individual is under the influence of drugs (except a medical patient under proper care) to be carried in that aircraft.

I'd have to research the other one (2), but I think I would answer that the altitude would be whatever is published in the TFR . . .

Last edited:
91.145 (e) (2) - 2,500 feet AGL

Flight restricted area for a major sporting event - The amount of airspace needed to protect persons and property on the surface or in the air, to maintain air safety and efficiency, or to prevent the unsafe congestion of aircraft will vary depending on the size of the event and the factors listed in paragraph (b) of this section. The restricted airspace will normally be limited to a 3 nautical mile radius from the center of the event and 2500 feet above the surface but will not be greater than the minimum airspace necessary for the management of aircraft operations in the vicinity of the specified area.

Stadiums

FDC 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during major league baseball, National Football League, NCAA, and motor speedway events. The so-called “stadium TFR” prohibits
stadium.jpg
all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is a major league baseball game, NFL game, NCAA division one football game..

FDC 7/4319 may be the newest version. Defense area in 99.7 means any airspace of the contiguous United States that is not an ADIZ in which the control of aircraft is required for reasons of national security

Last edited:
Notice the use of the word "normally" in 91.145 when describing the altitude, because it also lists other factors that may change that altitude restriction, so I'm guessing that the examiner would rather hear that you'd check the published NOTAM instead of just going by the "normal".

What did the examiner tell you after he asked the question?

Airplanes don’t know who is drunk, or how drunk. Light it and pull up.

Airspace is still made up of air, which will allow an airplane to land inside the stadium if capable.

Would I pass? :D

Congratulations Mike! I am envious. It looks like at this stage of life that I will go to my grave as a private pilot.

Congratulations Mike! I am envious. It looks like at this stage of life that I will go to my grave as a private pilot.
Still a better title than ‘wannabe’. ;)

Notice the use of the word "normally" in 91.145 when describing the altitude, because it also lists other factors that may change that altitude restriction, so I'm guessing that the examiner would rather hear that you'd check the published NOTAM instead of just going by the "normal".

Paging @AggieMike88

Congrats and well done! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
'specially for an Aggie :D

Good job, glad you got it done..

It didn't discourage you and you got it done. No big deal.

Unfortunately I don't recall the exact. But he did emphasize checking and knowing the NOTAM, especially regarding the size/shape of the space under restriction.

Congrats!!!

Airplanes don’t know who is drunk, or how drunk. Light it and pull up.

Airspace is still made up of air, which will allow an airplane to land inside the stadium if capable.

Would I pass? :D

Define landing.

Wooooooo! Congrats!

Congratulations!

the commercial oral is hard as your moving into the big leagues. My examiner stumped me on something and it turned out he just wanted me to say I don’t know (I did) and dig into the regs.

the commercial oral is hard as your moving into the big leagues.
My examiner made it pretty straight forward and I didn't find it overly difficult as I was fairly well studied. And he definitely kept it in line with how the ACS describes it will be done.

And I will admit more than once falling into the "pencil" trap from Ron Levy's ride advice. I think I'm going to obtain an oversized #2 pencil to place in front of me on the CFI Initial. To remind me to answer short/sweet and don't elaborate unless prompted.

Thanks everyone.

now to commence pre-study of the AIH and start on lesson plan creation for the CFI class that starts on Jan 3rd.

He won 2 rounds of stump the applicant that had me digging into the FARS for the answer.

He's looking for TRUE answers, any nit can whip out the FARs!:p

Answer #1 is NO unless you enjoy cleaning puke out of your plane.;)

Answer #2 is ANY altitude as long as you flipped transponder OFF, or got into ANONYMOUS mode several minutes earlier ...
------------------- OR ----------------------
Convince ATC on FF that your part of the "Fly-By AIR SHOW";)

View attachment 80577

Examiner was Pat Brown from Houston. Very thorough, very fair.

CONGRATS!!!

Good luck on the CFI. It’s a killer but definitely rewarding once you have that ticket!

The so-called “stadium TFR” prohibits
all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is a major league baseball game, NFL game, NCAA division one football game..
"UNLESS THE AIRCRAFT OPERATOR MEETS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS: A) THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY PURPOSES, INCLUDING AUTHORIZATION OF FLIGHTS SPECIFICALLY ARRIVING AT OR DEPARTING FROM AN AIRPORT DESIGNATED BY ATC USING STANDARD ATC PROCEDURES AND ROUTES; B) THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION IS BEING CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL, SAFETY, OR SECURITY PURPOSES SUPPORTING THE QUALIFYING EVENT, AND IS AUTHORIZED BY AN AIRSPACE SECURITY WAIVER APPROVED BY THE FAA; C) THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION IS ENABLING BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER FOR THE QUALIFYING EVENT, AND IS AUTHORIZED BY AN AIRSPACE SECURITY WAIVER APPROVED BY THE FAA; D) THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR NATIONAL SECURITY, HOMELAND SECURITY, LAW ENFORCEMENT, OR AIR AMBULANCE PURPOSES;"

Back