Instrument Checkride Passed!

PilotChase

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
OkiePilot
After 4 months of hard work I earned my instrument ticket this afternoon! While I feel like I worked significantly harder to get my instrument rating then I did to get my PPL, the test was easier. Not sure if it is designed that way or I was just very well prepared. I remember having to look 4 or 5 things up on my PPL oral and had to only look one thing up on the IRA oral. Flight was very straight forward. Took off and tracked a radial for a few minutes then did unusual attitudes. 3 approaches (1 RNAV w/course reversal hold, 1 ILS, 1 LOC) and that was it. I think the flight was 1.3. I can answer any questions for those of you gearing up for your ride.

Congrats. Went easy because you were prepared. Great job!!

After 4 months of hard work I earned my instrument ticket this afternoon! While I feel like I worked significantly harder to get my instrument rating then I did to get my PPL, the test was easier. Not sure if it is designed that way or I was just very well prepared. I remember having to look 4 or 5 things up on my PPL oral and had to only look one thing up on the IRA oral. Flight was very straight forward. Took off and tracked a radial for a few minutes then did unusual attitudes. 3 approaches (1 RNAV w/course reversal hold, 1 ILS, 1 LOC) and that was it. I think the flight was 1.3. I can answer any questions for those of you gearing up for your ride.

How did you get a ride without a circle to land and a missed approach? You better go back a demand a proper re-test.

How did you get a ride without a circle to land and a missed approach? You better go back a demand a proper re-test.
We circled on the RNAV approach and went missed on the RNAV and ILS. Calm down lol

I’m maybe 5 flights in. Weather and plane mx has had me grounded the last month+

What did you use for ground school and the written test prep?

We circled on the RNAV approach and went missed on the RNAV and ILS. Calm down lol

Defendant admission, “3 approaches (1 RNAV w/course reversal hold, 1 ILS, 1 LOC) and that was it”. Prosecution rests. LOL.

I’m maybe 5 flights in. Weather and plane mx has had me grounded the last month+

What did you use for ground school and the written test prep?

I am in a university flight program under Part 141 so we have a designated ground school course. As for the written Sheppard Air. You won't regret it. I probably only went through half the questions and did little to no other studying and got a 92.

I am in a university flight program under Part 141 so we have a designated ground school course. As for the written Sheppard Air. You won't regret it. I probably only went through half the questions and did little to no other studying and got a 92.

I’ve also heard that about Sheppard. For ground I’ll probably use Sporty’s.

Good job!!! I found that the IFR just makes me feel more comfortable in flight. I don't have to worry so much about a few clouds here and there, I have much better radio skills and I'm just a better pilot.

if you buy sporties for ground I wouldn’t recommend buying Sheppard air also unless written tests is a major weakness of yours. Sporties test prep prepared me super well for both ppl and ifr written exams.

Congrats, @PilotChase!

I used Sporty's for my instrument ground and liked it. 98 on the written. Honestly, I didn't really get much out of the Sporty's videos, though. Decided to try Gold Method for commercial and really like their approach of eliminating questions from the test bank that you have mastered. The ASA oral exam prep books are a must, IMO.

Welcome to the goo

Congrats! I too thought instrument was the easiest of my tests. I also did the best on my written for instrument as compared to my PPL or CPL. It was actually the most enjoyable flight I've had too with a DPE.

After I got mine I did a few RNAV approaches to LPV minimums in actual, was a blast :).

if you buy sporties for ground I wouldn’t recommend buying Sheppard air also unless written tests is a major weakness of yours. Sporties test prep prepared me super well for both ppl and ifr written exams.

From what I understand the FAA has quite recently been updating test questions, and that Sheppard has been proactive in keeping their material current. Could be wrong but that’s my understanding.

if you buy sporties for ground I wouldn’t recommend buying Sheppard air also unless written tests is a major weakness of yours. Sporty's test prep prepared me super well for both ppl and ifr written exams.
I have to respectfully disagree. In private I did use the Sporty's ground prep and while I didn't have access to Sheppard I did use Dauntless for the written prep and feel that if I didn't have Dauntless I wouldn't have done very well on the written. For instrument, I am pretty confident Sheppard was what led to my success.

From what I understand the FAA has quite recently been updating test questions, and that Sheppard has been proactive in keeping their material current. Could be wrong but that’s my understanding.
That would be correct. The questions I missed on the instrument written were one's I hadn't seen before.

Back