So I Joined Today

TrueCourse

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TrueCourse
I've joined various forums over the years, but this will be the first where I've actually introduced myself after joining. Discovered POA during the past month when searching the net for information.

Started flying in the early 1980s (learned in the PA-38 Tomahawk), eventually earned advanced ratings in the 1990s, and instructed in Florida (bouncing around in the humid summers!). Was fortunate to build experience in many different light GA aircraft of that era including the PA28 series, PA32 series, Cessna singles (152 thru 210), M20J, BE36, and a few others. Ended up making a career flying professionally (corporate) but now I'm tiptoeing back into GA.

One interesting thing that I've experienced lately is renting an early '70s Cessna 172. It showed its age. When I rented back in the 80's and 90's the planes were usually only a few years old or brand new since they sold planes too. I remember being excited to have a rental with a KX155 instead of KX170B.

Looking forward to digging around the forum and participating when I can!

TrueCourse

Welcome to PoA. That 70s 172 can be economically upgraded with very capable glass panels nowadays thanks to blanket STCs from a number of vendors who started by serving the experimental market.

Last edited:
Welcome! Depending on where you are located, check out some of the posts in the "Cool Places to Fly" subforum, and come hang out with us IRL too.

If you are looking for a better feel flying, try to find somewhere you can rent one of the newer LSAs. I don't have any experience personally, but I have read great things about the Vans RV-12, the Sling 2 and other LSAs.

Welcome to PoA. That 70s 172 can be economically upgraded with very capable glass panels nowadays thanks to blanket STCs from a number of vendors who started by serving the experimental market.

Yes, I'm researching all this now and I like what I'm reading. Having attended a few aviation trade shows over the years I knew the new technology was there, but wasn't seeing it in action in the light aircraft. That is changing for me now.

Welcome! Depending on where you are located, check out some of the posts in the "Cool Places to Fly" subforum, and come hang out with us IRL too.

If you are looking for a better feel flying, try to find somewhere you can rent one of the newer LSAs. I don't have any experience personally, but I have read great things about the Vans RV-12, the Sling 2 and other LSAs.

I'll start flying a Cherokee 140 in the coming year and I've got my day-trip list started already! I'll check out the Cool Places to Fly subforum. No experience yet either with the LSAs. I may have seen the RV-12 at a fly-in earlier this year but got distracted by an EFIS equipped Backcountry Super Cub.

Welcome !

The natives here are mostly harmless.

I had a similar experience!
I recently went back up for a "discovery flight" in a 172P.
I have a lot of time in 172N models....and this P model was very tired by comparison (to my memory)!

Welcome to the Nutzikookoo Country Club!

Yeah, our perspective about what makes an airplane "new" or "old" has certainly changed. My 172N is 42 years old now, and compared to a lot of airplanes in the GA fleet, still seems relatively "new". When I got my Commercial certificate in 1969, this was a 42-year-old airplane:

ryan-nyp-spirit-of-st-louis-2.jpg

ha ha..... in my case it wasn't that it was "obsolete" stuff, it was just that it had been ridden hard through the years.
I had failed to adjust the seat properly before taxi and found myself sitting too low. the little crank to jack the seat up wouldn't work with my 150# sitting in the seat. I had to get out to jack it up....

Welcome to the fray. Say what you will about the locals here, but I find POA a lot more pleasant/helpful/usable/entertaining than any of the Facebook GA groups.

Thanks for the Welcome posts.

ha ha..... in my case it wasn't that it was "obsolete" stuff, it was just that it had been ridden hard through the years.
I had failed to adjust the seat properly before taxi and found myself sitting too low. the little crank to jack the seat up wouldn't work with my 150# sitting in the seat. I had to get out to jack it up....

Funny you mention this, but I failed to adjust the vertical height of my seat and thought to myself, "I don't remember feeling this small when I last flew a C172". Not even sure it would have worked.

Welcome to the fray. Say what you will about the locals here, but I find POA a lot more pleasant/helpful/usable/entertaining than any of the Facebook GA groups.

Thanks good to hear. In general, I believe these "old fashioned" forums are better than Facebook groups.

Back