First Electric Commercial Airplane/Float Plane

TipTanks

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TipTanks
Sometimes working at the airport has its advantages, I was happy to witness the first electric commercial aircraft take flight today. They have a long way to go with regards to range and useful load, but still interesting to see a company putting its money where its mouth is and moving in this direction.
IMG-0843.jpg

That' really cool. I could see a market for that with short hop airmail type infrastructure if it can quick charge or quick change the battery at stops.

It's going to be a while for the battery technology to catch up, but I am looking forward to owning an electric LSA with 2 hours + VFR reserve range @ 110knts cruise. If I see the same 90% reduction in fuel costs that I have seen going from gas to electric in my car, I could see a reality where I could fly without thinking about the cost.

Wings have a big area for solar panels and if you fly it like once a week it will probably will recharge from sun to give you few hours of flight every other day. I believe it will be a decade or so before it will be as common as Tesla.

Back