Dad-gum nice weather

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Need to get a few IFR approaches in soon, but can't seem to find any actual IMC. And can't find a Safety PIlot that can meet me at KOMN.

I know, I'll schedule a trip and the weather is sure to cloud up on us.
[/rant]

I'm based at KFIN. Not there this week, but also will need a safety pilot if the weather stays severe clear like the last few weeks. We could trade planes/seats to keep current.

I'm based at KFIN. Not there this week, but also will need a safety pilot if the weather stays severe clear like the last few weeks. We could trade planes/seats to keep current.
I was hoping to find someone based at KOMN, but KFIN is close, but we will keep you in mind. Let us know if/when you would like a safety pilot. This is actually for my wife. She is the one with the valid medical and the IFR rating.

We have a Bonanza V35. What do you own/rent/fly?

This is the exact reason I bit the bullet and bought a RedBird TD BATD. Now I don't worry about finding IMC weather or a safety pilot to maintain currency.

I was hoping to find someone based at KOMN, but KFIN is close, but we will keep you in mind. Let us know if/when you would like a safety pilot. This is actually for my wife. She is the one with the valid medical and the IFR rating.

We have a Bonanza V35. What do you own/rent/fly?

I own a Piper Archer. Would be pretty easy for one of us to fly to the other, shoot a couple approaches, switch planes and repeat. In the midst of moving to PC full time and holidays. January onwards will have plenty of time.

I know your pain. I have to take the day off work most times to get in some approaches. And bad weather, WITHOUT ICING, is difficult to find my way this time of year. My co-workers think I'm crazy, taking every crappy rainy day off, then later complaining that the day turned out nice. I suppose I could fly after work, but I've only ever flown one instrument approach at night in instrument weather, so I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it yet.
Tonight, they are predicting MVFR with low-ish (1500-2000) ceilings and a very high freezing level, so I may try flying some tonight.

This is the exact reason I bit the bullet and bought a RedBird TD BATD. Now I don't worry about finding IMC weather or a safety pilot to maintain currency.
I am seriously considering doing this. It’s a lot of money up front but is also very valuable.

Yesterday was awesome here (Indiana).

My instrument lesson #5 was in hard IMC conditions. Since I started my training late-fall, IMC typically can have icing, so I figured I’d never fly in IMC until late spring. Yesterday it was 55 degrees and weather near minimums.

35 nm trip to a GPS appch near minimums (didn’t touch wheels), then a return trip back to near mins. Took 40 minutes round trip. Seemed like 2 hrs. I handled radio comms for about the first 5 minutes, then gave it up to my CFI once the simple “climb & maintain” and frequency change was over with. What a crazy workout.

What the foggles don’t do is upset the plane enough to test your terrible scan discipline. This was an eye opener. I was tensed up, legs felt like I was squatting 200 lbs, shoulders sore, and I took a 2 hr nap afterwards. I really didn’t like it, wasn’t what I’d call “fun”, but it made me appreciate what I’m aiming for in training. CFI said what we did was pretty much around lesson #18.

Yet another benefit of living in Southern California. Always IFR current, rarely any significant freezing level threat.

Back