SwitchBox Control

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Is anyone here using a SwitchBox Control to turn power on/off to their engine heater? I have a 4G model and am using a T-Mobile SIM but I sometimes get long delays when waiting for the box to respond to an SMS. I've sent it back once and have been testing it at different times to figure out why it's not always working right.

https://switchboxcontrol.com

12/06 @ 20:10 PST: OK
12/06 @ 20:55 PST: 9 minutes
12/07 @ 06:40 PST: OK
12/07 @ 08:25 PST: OK
12/07 @ 15:05 PST: OK
12/07 @ 16:15 PST: OK
12/07 @ 16:35 PST: OK
12/07 @ 16:40 PST: OK
12/07 @ 18:45 PST: 38 minutes
12/07 @ 19:25 PST: OK
12/07 @ 20:50 PST: 19 minutes
12/07 @ 21:30 PST: OK

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing long delays like this?

Last edited:
I’m a user. I’ve got the same setup as you. Although I’ve seen a few delays, it’s never been more than a few minutes. Rather than stare at my phone, I just usually go back to it and see the icon noting a message, checking it shows the on or off response. I’ve only encountered one failed message response and attributed it to a bad signal, it enabled quickly on my second attempt.

To date, I’m happy with the Switchbox. It could just be intermittent coverage in your area.

When I see a delay, there is no delay sending a text to a TMobile phone... even while I am at the hangar. Very odd indeed.

Does this unit actually receive a SMS and then use it to turn on/off...or does the SMS go to a service and the unit uses a 4G ethernet message. Or asked another way...do you send a text message to the phone number of the sim card inside the unit?

Does this unit actually receive a SMS and then use it to turn on/off...or does the SMS go to a service and the unit uses a 4G ethernet message. Or asked another way...do you send a text message to the phone number of the sim card inside the unit?

Yes. SMS to phone number of unit. It responds with a confirmation SMS.

Okay so no internet or dynamic/changing ip addresses involved. I wonder if it (remote unit) ends up with not being on any specific tower due to inactivity. Can you simply text anything you want to the unit and get a sms verification it was "sent". Or maybe text the rc unit and another cell number (same message) to verify both are even sent.

Okay so no internet or dynamic/changing ip addresses involved. I wonder if it (remote unit) ends up with not being on any specific tower due to inactivity. Can you simply text anything you want to the unit and get a sms verification it was "sent". Or maybe text the rc unit and another cell number (same message) to verify both are even sent.

You text a specific string to it and it responds. I have been testing by telling it to turn off an outlet (it will still respond even if the outlet is already off).

This morning at 04:55 it took 43 minutes to respond, but three tests since then have returned immediate responses.

When the box has a delayed response, a text sent to a T-Mobile phone at the same time has always been delivered immediately... even if the receiving phone is in my hangar. Thus, I am not sure if the box is receiving the SMS and simply not responding right away, or if the box is not receiving the SMS from the network until much later.

Last edited:
So can you tell if it received the request right away and just responded late. I would want to test it more back at home to see if it is the unit or the location.

So can you tell if it received the request right away and just responded late. I would want to test it more back at home to see if it is the unit or the location.

When I have tested it at home hooked to a lamp, it experiences the same intermittent delay. When there is a delay, the lamp will (eventually) toggle and a second or two later the response SMS is received on my phone. All that tells me is that after toggling the power, the response SMS is sent immediately. There is no way to know if the box had a long delay between receiving the SMS from the network and toggling the power.

I wonder if the time of day, meaning the volume of traffic at various times of day, impacts the response time. I’m on ATT and have also noticed sporadic delays.

I wonder if the time of day, meaning the volume of traffic at various times of day, impacts the response time. I’m on ATT and have also noticed sporadic delays.

4:55am seems like a pretty quiet time, yet it took 43 minutes to respond. Over the next several hours I did four tests with immediate responses and then a test at 9:45am took 39 minutes to respond. Right after that, a test at 10:25 responded immediately.

I am building a spreadsheet with the data including temperature and dew point to log this problem.

How long of a delay have you seen on AT&T?

In real use of course I turn it on between 8 and 10pm and off between 7 and 9am, but I am trying to test it at different times throughout the day.

Last edited:
I have one and use the ATT SIM card. It's always been a crap shoot as to whether or not it will work which kind of defeats the purpose.

What I am seeing so far...

Switch-Box-Log.png

Out of 27 tries, it was delayed on 6 of them, with an average delay of 29 minutes.

I had the SwitchBox for several years. It worked well ca. 90% of the time. Sometimes it responded quickly, other times it took a while. Sometimes it would hang, and I had to drive to the airport to unplug it to get it working again. Still, it was far better than nothing.

Then, with T-Mobile discontinuing 2G service in our area, I had to find a different solution. I bought a pair of Wyze smart plugs for $20 and added a mobile hotspot to my cellular account. Not the cheapest solution in terms of monthly expense, but it's been a rock solid solution so far, which activated the switches within a second - every time. Plus I now have WIFI in my hangar.

- Martin

upload_2019-12-9_21-54-8.png

Then, with T-Mobile discontinuing 2G service in our area, I had to find a different solution. I bought a pair of Wyze smart plugs for $20 and added a mobile hotspot to my cellular account. Not the cheapest solution in terms of monthly expense, but it's been a rock solid solution so far, which activated the switches within a second - every time. Plus I now have WIFI in my hangar.

Do you need WiFi in the hangar for those to work? If not, aren't they just on a SIM like the SwitchBox?

There is no WiFi in my hangar and I can't see how I could get it there unless perhaps I took an old iPhone 3G and left it plugged in and made it a hot spot.

I do the same as Martin but use a Verizon hotspot (+$10/month and shares my data plan). I have a remote outlet and 2 security cameras. The hotspot doesn't really cost anything up front so its basically $120/yr to have remote heat and security cameras. I think a while back someone posted what the extra yearly costs of a sim card remote switch control and I believe it is not free either. Way, way more flexibility with the hotspot solution. My remote switch behind the hotspot was around $30 but also gives realtime current, voltage, power and frequency. The tannis heater always draws about 400watts so within seconds of turning it on from home I can tell if its drawing current...or I forgot to plug it in :) Another bonus of the hotspot is you can take it with you on a longer trip or use it pull the most recent wx before starting up and taxiing away.

How well does the hotspot work inside the hangar? I have a Verizon Jetpack that I rarely use now (and could leave in the hangar) but the signal strength isn't very strong at the airport and I suspect is even less inside the hangar. I don't know if there's any way to somehow add an external antenna to the hotspot the way you can with some of the GSM switches. (I do know that my hangar neighbor is able to use the Switchbox with an external antenna.)

Do you need WiFi in the hangar for those to work? If not, aren't they just on a SIM like the SwitchBox?

I do the same as Martin but use a Verizon hotspot (+$10/month and shares my data plan).

Yes, that's what I meant when I wrote earlier that I "added a mobile hotspot to my cellular account". The monthly fee for that is a few bucks higher than for the SIM card I had in the SwitchBox, but instead of supporting just that one device, I now have WIFI in the hangar for anything I want (security camera, liveatc audio feed, etc.).

- Martin

Yes, that's what I meant when I wrote earlier that I "added a mobile hotspot to my cellular account". The monthly fee for that is a few bucks higher than for the SIM card I had in the SwitchBox, but instead of supporting just that one device, I now have WIFI in the hangar for anything I want (security camera, liveatc audio feed, etc.).

- Martin

So are you using a phone as a hotspot and just laving it plugged in charging all the time or is there some sort of hotspot device other than a phone?

@DesertNomad are you texting the box (like actually writing the text yourself), or using the app? I think all the app does is “fake” the text message you would send normally, but on my Switchbox, it doesn’t work at all if I manually write the text. However, if I use the app it is 100% and has never not responded (although I have to wait patiently for a confirmation - usually takes 1-3 minutes). So, if you’re not already using it, I’d try the app.

Someone mentioned something about the box dropping off the cell tower and wanted to know if you could send it something to get it to hook back up (I know nothing about these things so that was my best attempt at a paraphrase). If you are using the app you could send it the status request for this purpose and the app will ping the unit and it will respond with which plugs are currently turned on.

So are you using a phone as a hotspot and just laving it plugged in charging all the time or is there some sort of hotspot device other than a phone?
I had to buy the Verizon "Jetpack" when my iPad wasn't supported by my regular plan and found it convenient to use with my laptop where I wasn't comfortable on a public wi-fi (e.g. hotels, airports). I still use it occasionally but could leave it in the hangar (plugged in) for the service that Martin is talking about. It's certainly a less expensive and simpler way of operating a switch, but you have to get adequate wi-fi reception inside the metal hangar.

@DesertNomad are you texting the box (like actually writing the text yourself), or using the app?

I am sending a text. The problem with the app is that it times out if the response is not received within 5 minutes. The text works for me except when there is a delay, but the response is always received eventually. The text has to be in the right format: #PWDxxxxxx#OUT2=OFF

When there is a delay, polling the box for which outlets are on is also delayed. If you gang up requests, they will all come in at the same time at some future point when the delay clears up.

@DesertNomad are you texting the box (like actually writing the text yourself), or using the app? I think all the app does is “fake” the text message you would send normally, but on my Switchbox, it doesn’t work at all if I manually write the text. However, if I use the app it is 100% and has never not responded (although I have to wait patiently for a confirmation - usually takes 1-3 minutes). So, if you’re not already using it, I’d try the app.

Someone mentioned something about the box dropping off the cell tower and wanted to know if you could send it something to get it to hook back up (I know nothing about these things so that was my best attempt at a paraphrase). If you are using the app you could send it the status request for this purpose and the app will ping the unit and it will respond with which plugs are currently turned on.
In many years of using the switchbox, I’ve never been able to make the app work. I send a text msg from my phone or computer, works just fine.

Not sure if this will help regarding Wifi Hotspot solution. Probably similar to what Marty is using:

When I picked out a hotspot from Verizon I made sure it had a external antennae option. Right now the hangar is 30 miles away so I don't have the exact hotspot model number but I got it about this time last year, its pretty small, has a internal battery and a nice simple LCD screen on the front and previously mentioned external antennae connection. I then bough a cable and a antennae. I think this is stuff someone with a camper would use. So far I haven't had to put the antennae outside the hangar but I do attach it several feet up on the wall which has been good enough. The other reason I needed a external antennae is that I put all the stuff (hotspot, Blink Hub, USB charger) in a locked enclosure which really killed off the signal. Not to mention its in hangar that is all galvanized steel and ibeams - A Hurricane wouldn't put a dent in this place. The enclosure keeps it dry in the spring when there is a lot of condensation dripping from the inside of the roof. I might add a small xmas light bulb inside to keep it warmer in the winter. Here is what I used to make it:

($10/month) Verizon Hotspot
Gives Wifi in the hangar so tablets don't need 4G option. Take it with on longer trips to have wifi wherever we land.

($50) NEMA Enclosure
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZV1MQJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

($30?) WI-FI Remote Outlet With Volts, Amps, Watts, Freq
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J49F4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

($8) Antennae Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQFB45D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

($19) Antennae:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KY4Q7DG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

($150) (2) Blink XT2 Outdoor Rated Security Cameras With IR And Batteries So No Wires Needed
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MN67BCR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

($16) Blink Mounts (3-pack)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R43J6N4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In many years of using the switchbox, I’ve never been able to make the app work. I send a text msg from my phone or computer, works just fine.

Funny. I have had the exact opposite experience.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you have an accessible wifi hotspot near your hangar you can use the same type wifi switches as Martin but without the cellular plan. In my case it is an Xfinity hotspot which I can access as a Comcast customer. A small travel router with external antennas acts as a bridge to connect between the Xfinity network and the private network it hosts inside the hangar.

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-A...ocphy=9003924&hvtargid=pla-564781119998&psc=1).

One antenna is mounted on the outside of the hangar using a magnetic mount and it connects to one of the antenna connections on the router via an antenna coax cable. The other antenna is mounted directly to the other antenna connection of the router.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-3G-An...098765?hash=item2c8c4822cd:g:RtIAAOSw-jhUF6kT

A wifi switch similar to the ones shown in Martin's photo complete the installation. It can be controlled by its remote app on a phone or tablet, or by voice via an Amazon Echo (or the Google equivalent).

There is no wifi at my hangar. I can't tell why the Switchbox sometimes has a long delay. If it is because of a poor cell signal, then a Wifi Hotspot will not be any better.

Can you pull the SIM card from the switchbox and insert it into a phone, then use the phone to determine the signal strength in your hangar? If signal strength is the problem, maybe a change of carriers or a cell signal booster would help.

Can you pull the SIM card from the switchbox and insert it into a phone, then use the phone to determine the signal strength in your hangar? If signal strength is the problem, maybe a change of carriers or a cell signal booster would help.

The Switchbox has the ability to return (via text query) the signal strength which is 20/32. That seems good enough.

I've been working with support at Switchbox for a week and now they are asking me to send my box back again. That will cost me at least $100 so I don't think I'll do it - I'll just live with a broken product until I can find another solution.

Times I have sent the box a command and how long (in minutes) it took to respond:

12/15 @ 11:30: 29
12/15 @ 12:20: 147
12/15 @ 16:35: Immediate
12/15 @ 21:30: 36
12/15 @ 22:15: Immediate
12/16 @ 06:55: 44

The fellow at Switchbox says that he never sees any delay at all from his phone in New York City but I am trying to find out if any of his tests happened while mine was delayed.

I really don't know if this is a box problem or a network problem, but my text messages from my phone to my wife's T-Mobile phone (the box is T-Mobile too) are always delivered immediately. While it's true that the box never completely fails to respond, something is certainly wrong.

For the other here that have had problems, is this similar to what you have seen?

Thanks.

I've been working with support at Switchbox for a week and now they are asking me to send my box back again. That will cost me at least $100 so I don't think I'll do it - I'll just live with a broken product until I can find another solution.

Times I have sent the box a command and how long (in minutes) it took to respond:

12/15 @ 11:30: 29
12/15 @ 12:20: 147
12/15 @ 16:35: Immediate
12/15 @ 21:30: 36
12/15 @ 22:15: Immediate
12/16 @ 06:55: 44

The fellow at Switchbox says that he never sees any delay at all from his phone in New York City but I am trying to find out if any of his tests happened while mine was delayed.

I really don't know if this is a box problem or a network problem, but my text messages from my phone to my wife's T-Mobile phone (the box is T-Mobile too) are always delivered immediately. While it's true that the box never completely fails to respond, something is certainly wrong.

For the other here that have had problems, is this similar to what you have seen?

Thanks.
I’ve got a tmobile 2g switchbox sitting on the desk since I can’t use it at FTG. Will happily send it to you.

I’ve got a tmobile 2g switchbox sitting on the desk since I can’t use it at FTG. Will happily send it to you.

2G won't work here either. My box is a 4G one. Thank you for the offer though.

The Switchbox has the ability to return (via text query) the signal strength which is 20/32. That seems good enough.

Im using the App to turn my heater on and off. Today I got the failed message after several attempts. While at the hanger, after the last fail notification, the unit turned on. The app showed it was off, so I sync’d it and it went green.

How does one send a text to find signal strength, I’m assuming it’s not thru the app?

Im using the App to turn my heater on and off. Today I got the failed message after several attempts. While at the hanger, after the last fail notification, the unit turned on. The app showed it was off, so I sync’d it and it went green.

How does one send a text to find signal strength, I’m assuming it’s not thru the app?

#PWDxxxxxx#CSQ?

Will return a number with 32 max

Thanks for the string, I’ll give it a try.

Tangential, but if you are interested in a less expensive 4G solution to the preheater switch, here's where you start:

1) https://www.amazon.com/Solenoid-Control-Wireless-Contact-T-Mobile/dp/B07Q7PKW5Z/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=4g+relay&qid=1576555367&sr=8-2&th=1 This looks a lot like the box the Switchbox guy uses. It comes with an external antenna.

2) https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/ This is the $3/month plan for 30 texts or 30 minutes of talk time. You need to go to a T-mobile owned store (not a t-mobile franchisee store) to buy one. That was the only place I got traction to join the cheap plan. If you call t-mobile's customer service number, they can route you to an owned store. While you're at the store, buy a new SIM card for $10, to get a phone number assigned.

3) $10 of wire and parts from Home Depot to make the cords. You'll need a male and a female end plus a couple of feet of wire.

All-in, I have about $150 in my switch. I successfully programmed it and made it work with a phone call (not a text or the app that is supposed to control it). Now I just have the switches number in the speed dial directory on my cell phone. The switch sends a text showing what action the switch took in response to my call(s).

The switch was surprisingly easy to built/set-up. Other than tracking down the new cell plan, I probably invested an hour in the project.

Tangential, but if you are interested in a less expensive 4G solution to the preheater switch, here's where you start:

1) https://www.amazon.com/Solenoid-Control-Wireless-Contact-T-Mobile/dp/B07Q7PKW5Z/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=4g+relay&qid=1576555367&sr=8-2&th=1 This looks a lot like the box the Switchbox guy uses. It comes with an external antenna.

2) https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/ This is the $3/month plan for 30 texts or 30 minutes of talk time. You need to go to a T-mobile owned store (not a t-mobile franchisee store) to buy one. That was the only place I got traction to join the cheap plan. If you call t-mobile's customer service number, they can route you to an owned store. While you're at the store, buy a new SIM card for $10, to get a phone number assigned.

3) $10 of wire and parts from Home Depot to make the cords. You'll need a male and a female end plus a couple of feet of wire.

All-in, I have about $150 in my switch. I successfully programmed it and made it work with a phone call (not a text or the app that is supposed to control it). Now I just have the switches number in the speed dial directory on my cell phone. The switch sends a text showing what action the switch took in response to my call(s).

The switch was surprisingly easy to built/set-up. Other than tracking down the new cell plan, I probably invested an hour in the project.

Do you have a way to restrict robo calls with your setup? That’s a big issue, as those calls can trigger the heater on or off without your knowledge.

Do you have a way to restrict robo calls with your setup? That’s a big issue, as those calls can trigger the heater on or off without your knowledge.

Yes. You program the switch to only activate in response to calls (or texts) from specific numbers. Very easy.

Back