Microwave Watt Power Settings

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
You take a frozen meal out of your freezer... it says "cook for 5 minutes on high, or until internal temperature reaches 160F".. it also says "developed on a 1,200 Watt microwave".. so after 15 frustrated minutes you find the Watt setting on your own microwave and see it says 1,000 Watts for output

Do you simply heat your food for 6 minutes.. IE, 20% longer since the 1,200 is 20% higher than 1,000... or is the energy imparted on the food not linear like that?

You take a frozen meal out of your freezer... it says "cook for 5 minutes on high, or until internal temperature reaches 160F".. it also says "developed on a 1,200 Watt microwave".. so after 15 frustrated minutes you find the Watt setting on your own microwave and see it says 1,000 Watts for output

Do you simply heat your food for 6 minutes.. IE, 20% longer since the 1,200 is 20% higher than 1,000... or is the energy imparted on the food not linear like that?

You must buy meals that at TSOed for your microwave.

And if you're in an office and hate your co-workers, put a fish in there with no cover, and cook for 12-15 minutes.

This has always bothered me. The time required to cook the food goes down as the microwave’s wattage goes up. This means that if you have a microwave with a high enough wattage, no time at all will be required to cook the food. Somewhere in there is the answer to all our energy needs ... ;)

This has always bothered me. The time required to cook the food goes down as the microwave’s wattage goes up. This means that if you have a microwave with a high enough wattage, no time at all will be required to cook the food. Somewhere in there is the answer to all our energy needs ... ;)
If it's a linear relationship that means we should be able to go back in time by putting overcooked food in the microwave.

Nauga,
checking the winning lotto numbers

Don’t forget how some plates get very hot while the food gets only warm, can’t hardly grab the plate.

I think these fall into the ‘1st world problems’ category.

Back