A&P medical requirement

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
Is there a medical requirement for airframe and power plant mechanic license? Meaning does one have to be cleared medically like a pilot?

on the other hand....I did have a PMI get kinda snooty with me about my weight. I was pushing 300 lbs and he made a smart remark about my size and crawling in the back of a Piper to perform inspections.

on the other hand....I did have a PMI get kinda snooty with me about my weight. I was pushing 300 lbs and he made a smart remark about my size and crawling in the back of a Piper to perform inspections.

At least you don’t have to do fuel tank inspections from the inside.

true....and a did lose +60 lbs. ;)
That sounds horrible. How long were you stuck in the back of the Piper with no food before you were able to crawl out?

I think we gotta be able to see well enough to sign our name after an annual.:eek:
You also need to have good enough vision to log "Aircraft looks airworthy this date." :)

you'd be amazed....it took me a few months to skinny up.;)
Is it an A&P secret or did it require diet and exercise? If it's the latter, then I don't want to hear about it since that method is too depressing and I'll just eat more to make myself feel better. But my thread about 6-seat planes would be somewhat simplified if I got my A&P and contributed a little less to the W&B in the process. :)

Is it an A&P secret or did it require diet and exercise? If it's the latter, then I don't want to hear about it since that method is too depressing and I'll just eat more to make myself feel better. But my thread about 6-seat planes would be somewhat simplified if I got my A&P and contributed a little less to the W&B in the process. :)
I had my stomach removed.....and a sleeve installed. Now I'm limited to my over eating. It's all good now. :D

I had my stomach removed.....and a sleeve installed. Now I'm limited to my over eating. It's all good now. :D
Which A&P signed off on THAT field approval? :)

(Posting largely to lengthen this thread. It's against POA policy to have a thread with only 3 posts: question, direct answer, and thank-you.)

I'm glad my thread is entertaining to you all LOL. Don't want my soon to be graduating from HS son going down this path and being medically denied even though he was wrongly diagnosed IMO for that ADHD but we never put him on meds. We managed it without meds and he is doing fine. Anyway there is enough ADHD talk on this forum.

I'm glad my thread is entertaining to you all LOL. Don't want my soon to be graduating from HS son going down this path and being medically denied even though he was wrongly diagnosed IMO for that ADHD sorry that you found thebut we never put him on meds. We managed it without meds and he is doing fine. Anyway there is enough ADHD talk on this forum.

Sorry that you found the POA snarkiness offensive; don't be thin-skinned. Sounds to me like God gave your son a very special father who had the instinct to keep him out of the system and off medication. I am not aware of any special medical qualifications for an A &P, only that the curriculum can be somewhat demanding. Even if an incorrect diagnosis led to any kind of denial, the system is loaded with numerous appeals pathways -- don't let anything stand between your son's dreams and achieving them. Congratulations on his graduation. Be blessed.

I know that military maint techs can't be color blind. I assume that civilians doing the same tasks also must meet that standard. All those colored wires.

I know that military maint techs can't be color blind. I assume that civilians doing the same tasks also must meet that standard. All those colored wires.
That's a new one on me. Maybe it's one particular branch of service? I know several color blind ex-military mechanics who continued working helicopters after they got out. But on the civilian side no sight restrictions per the FAA.

We do the drug phone calls for positive results back to some very large A&P employers. The person gets to talk to a call center (cough: Physician.... but feel get past the basic questions that rule that conversation out) to see if they have a prescription or whatever that would trigger a false positive.

We check all that and still issue a terrifying number of real positives on both pre-hire and random screening.

In other words, don’t so drugs while A&Ping, kids. You will get caught and lose that really good paying job.

Horrifying numbers. But I can’t share.

When I got my A&P, there were no medical requirements. However, besides colored wire, there are the Haz
At least you don’t have to do fuel tank inspections from the inside.
My father wasn't an A&P, but he worked the B-52 flight line in Wichita for Boeing for a while. He would tease us about crawling into a fuel tank to do maintenance, eating lunch in there, and then being too fat to get out, so he'd have to wait until he lost a few pounds.

Also, when I got my A&P, there were no medical requirements. However, besides color coded wires and resistors, there's the HazMat markings. I had them all memorized at one time, now just remember (I think) Red for Flammable, and Green for O2, so it's helpful, and safer, if you can distinguish colors.

That's a new one on me. Maybe it's one particular branch of service? I know several color blind ex-military mechanics who continued working helicopters after they got out. But on the civilian side no sight restrictions per the FAA.
Army had a requirement for no color deficiancy circa 1970's & 80's. I was a medic (Medical Service Corps Officer/Aviator) and once provided some study material by mail to a SSG/AC Repairman in my former Guard unit. He was a little color blind and was sweating his PE. And his job. He was a full timer in the Guard.
My brother, a USN Chief Aviation Machinist Mate (same as an A&P) once told me that color blind would get you reassigned.
Just asking, how many areas in aviation use color for I.D.?

Don't have an answer to your question. But I seem to recall a story about when the first UH-1N/212 came out the engine throttles were marked green and red same as position lights. However, after a few issues of the wrong engine being shutdown they went to tactile throttle grip (cork/rubber) because of some pilots being color blind. So while color might be an issue in aviation never saw/heard where it made a difference to an individual. But that don't mean it didn't happen.

Army had a requirement for no color deficiancy circa 1970's & 80's. I was a medic (Medical Service Corps Officer/Aviator) and once provided some study material by mail to a SSG/AC Repairman in my former Guard unit. He was a little color blind and was sweating his PE. And his job. He was a full timer in the Guard.
My brother, a USN Chief Aviation Machinist Mate (same as an A&P) once told me that color blind would get you reassigned.

Minor point. A Navy Aviation Machinist Mate (AD) is for engines, not airframe. An Aviation Structural Mechanic (AM) maintained the airframe. Navy didn't actually have a rate that did both.

Minor point. A Navy Aviation Machinist Mate (AD) is for engines, not airframe. An Aviation Structural Mechanic (AM) maintained the airframe. Navy didn't actually have a rate that did both.
And they all got together in the Chiefs Club after duty.

We had a third class ICman on our USN ship. The IC rating is "interior communications", and the typical ICman was like half way between an electrician and an avionics tech. This guy was the screw-up of the ship, he couldn't do anything right. He was not allowed to re-enlist, and on his exit physical the docs discovered he was colorblind. Not the guy you want searching for the green wire with the pink stripe in that 40-plex bundle!

Poor kid has to go through life knowing he was basically not good enough for the Navy. But it was the Viet Nam era, and the enlistment medical criteria was "does the candidate have a pulse?"

-Skip

Back