[NA]Norway [NA]

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have it in my mind lately that I want to go there, maybe this summer. Probably to hike Trolltunga, Preikestolen, and Kjeragbolten.
I won’t get into why that is the goal.
However if anyone has recent travel experience in Norway; or on Norwegian Air (they are using a 787 between cities I chose)...I would be interested.

Bring padding. The 787 is awful. Every carrier I know of has put in the worst seats available. No one has liked them. I flew A350 and 787 this year to Europe/Africa. I would take the Airbus every single time no questions asked. I was in premium coach/exit row on both. The 787 was just plain awful. I would rather get dysentery on the Oregon Trail than sit in the seats on a 787 again.

I am planning to go in May, so can't help until then. :) Have not planned my itinerary yet either, but I have learned how to count to ten.

Flew an AA 787 this fall and it was a spacious, comfortable airplane. I know two people who have flown it on Norwegian, one who flies first class all the time, and he couldn't stop complimenting the airline or plane.

My most recent experience is from 1988 ;-) If you are into hiking, become a member of the norwegian mountain club. It gives you access to their mountain lodges. While not cheap, it's a great way to do multi-day mountain hikes with a very light pack.

A good pal went to Oslo for a week. Wasn't all that enthusiastic about it. He didn't get into any of the fyords or any of the more scenic areas though.

I really liked Norway. I had business in other cities around the Continent, so I flew AF from Paris and SAS to Copenhagen.

Short days in the winter, long days in the summer. Oslo was nice, as were a couple of smaller towns further north in the country. Fish and reindeer for meals.

Try to see the Northern Lights while there, and some of the fjords.

Norweigan is one of the lower-cost-carriers. If the upgrade isn't too much, consider springing for the bigger seat - it's a long trip and some of the seating on the 787 can be miserable.

Oslo/Norway, Copenhagen, and Stockholm are high on my list of places to go again. In summer.

I'm also interested in traveling to Norway, Sweden, Finland, or Denmark. I have friends and relatives who have gone on cruises, but I am not really a cruise person, unless it's a smaller sailboat. ;)

Interested in the answers here.

Bring padding. The 787 is awful. Every carrier I know of has put in the worst seats available. No one has liked them. I flew A350 and 787 this year to Europe/Africa. I would take the Airbus every single time no questions asked. I was in premium coach/exit row on both. The 787 was just plain awful. I would rather get dysentery on the Oregon Trail than sit in the seats on a 787 again.
They’re slimline seats. Boeing and Airbus don’t make the seats. It’s an airline specific thing.

My husband loved the 787 experience with Norwegian Air. Something about greater pressurization leading to more restful sleep.
Me? They're all just tubes of different sizes, and I can't really tell the difference.

Norwegian Air is cheap and great... as long as nothing goes wrong. When my flight arrived late and I missed my connection in Charles de Gaulle, I looked for someone at a counter who could help me re-book. The only Norwegian Air humans I could find were the ticket-desk agents outside security. They said they couldn't help me re-book, I'd have to do it online or call reservations, which would necessitate firing up an international phone plan on my phone that I wasn't planning to use roaming. I asked point blank "Are there any *humans* at this airport who could help me with this?" and the human in front of me said no, you have to call or go online.

Probably to hike Trolltunga, Preikestolen, and Kjeragbolten. I won’t get into why that is the goal.
Gee, I've never heard of any of those places... this goal must have an interesting story!

Paging @LongRoadBob ?

I have it in my mind lately that I want to go there, maybe this summer. Probably to hike Trolltunga, Preikestolen, and Kjeragbolten.
I won’t get into why that is the goal.
However if anyone has recent travel experience in Norway; or on Norwegian Air (they are using a 787 between cities I chose)...I would be interested.
My wife and I went to Norway in July 2018. We loved it. We spent a day in Bergen, then took the train to Voss for a three-day kayaking and hiking trip with Nordic Adventures (https://nordicventures.com/norway-tours/norway-outdoor-adventure/). It was great! Gorgeous and quiet. We ended up in a hostel overnight after the trip, that was all that was available in Voss on short notice. We took the train all the way to Oslo the next day. The train ride was a bit long at five hours, but scenic all the way. We spent about two hours in Oslo before we flew out, we enjoyed it and could have spent more time there. Sorry, no personal experience on Norwegian, but SAS was good from Brussels to Oslo to Bergen. Oh, getting around was easy, and English was common.

my neighbors have taken the river cruises as well as the fjord cruises on smaller working/cruise boats. My wife is researching similar for a couple of years out - she wants to reconnect with her heritage (Dutch), and I'll be chasing down family contacts in Norway and Austria.

Just a warning, don't count on actually flying on a Norwegian 787. They've had problems with their RR engines and have been wet leasing old 777s, A340s, and 747s from companies like Wamos, HiFly, and Privilege Air to cover routes.

Just a warning, don't count on actually flying on a Norwegian 787. They've had problems with their RR engines and have been wet leasing old 777s, A340s, and 747s from companies like Wamos, HiFly, and Privilege Air to cover routes.

Yes. It’s all opinions but I am not a fan of Norwegian airlines. We booked with them recently to take our granddaughter on a trip to Rome. We booked well in advance, but just before the date they changed our flight two different times (both directions) which meant one day less on the way there, and almost a day longer with no hotel, late night flight back. In addition were informed (think it was Privilege Air) sluffed is off to another carrier with no inflight entertainment, less seat room, but...no reduction in price. By that time we had to accept, because it was too late to rebook with another carrier.

I’m not sure SAS is any better, both of them seem to be doing the same tricks but I trust SAS a little more.
Be aware too, because of their labor practices often there are strikes exactly in the summer months, vacation time, which seems in the last few years strands many travelers. The worst is, it is totally predictable, yet they do not seem to increase manpower on the phones, so each year you hear of travelers stuck, not able to reach anyone that can help them, not able to get customer service, etc.

It is beautiful here in summer, long days of sunlight. Winter too, if you like skiing, snow, darkness.

I prefer summer. I fell in love with Norway when traveling here for work, and moved here decades ago. Personally I love it here, and live in Oslo and love it!

You’re better off just trying to book in advance and use a legacy carrier. Delta/United,American. With these low cost carriers you’re kinda rolling the dice plus you get the crappy seats that they chose for their aircraft. (Don’t blame Boeing)

Flew to Auckland on an American 787 and was pleasantly surprised at the seat comfort.

You get what you pay for.

Back