Help me understand FAR §119.1(e)(1)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I’m reviewing privileges and limitations for my commercial check ride.

The Gleim book says
14 CFR 19.1, Applicability, specifically lists those operations that you can perform for compensation or hire without flying for a Part 121, 125, or 135 operation. These are
  1. Student instruction
  2. Non stop sight seeing
  3. Ferry or training flights
  4. Aerial work
    1. Agricultural flying
    2. Banner towing
    3. Aerial photo or survey
    4. Power and pile line patrol
    5. Parachute jumpers
    6. Emergency mail service
    7. Carriage if Candidates in Federal Elections (conducted under §91.321)
The bit that has me unsure how to apply is the “Student Instruction”.

How does this work if I am not yet a CFI?

The Gleim book says
14 CFR 19.1, Applicability, specifically lists those operations that you can perform for compensation or hire without flying for a Part 121, 125, or 135 operation. These are
  1. Student instruction
  2. Non stop sight seeing
  4. Aerial work
    1. Agricultural flying
    2. Banner towing
    5. Parachute jumpers

Ask @SixPapaCharlie . :)

4.7 makes me curious. Does it apply to write-in candidates? If so, it could apply to almost anyone who is legally eligible to hold office.

How does it work? You provide instruction, you get paid. But you also need a FI cert to provide instruction. Part 61

Lots of ways to receive compensation under Part 61 and 91, but you still need to meet the requirements for each of them.

What kind of question was it in the Gleim? Or was it just an explanation?

The Gleim book says
  1. Student instruction
  2. Non stop sight seeing
  4. Aerial work
    1. Agricultural flying
    2. Banner towing
    5. Parachute jumpers

To have a CFI certificate, you must have a Commercial certificate. So, if you are a commercial pilot, that holds a CFI, you can give student instruction.

To have a CFI certificate, you must have a Commercial certificate. So, if you are a commercial pilot, that holds a CFI, you can give student instruction.

A light sport flight instructor is not required to have a commercial certificate and there is no such thing as a CFI (certified flight instructor) in the regulations. 61.5 if you care to look it up.

Last edited:
A light sport flight instructor is not required to have a commercial certificate and there is no such thing as a CFI (certified flight instructor) in the regulations.

Cliffy,

14 CFR Part 119.1 is what we are discussing. We are not discussing Sport Flight Instructor.

Lacking in the reading comprehension again?

Cliffy,

14 CFR Part 119.1 is what we are discussing. We are not discussing Sport Flight Instructor.

Lacking in the reading comprehension again?

I clearly read what you posted Doc and it was not accurate.

The Gleim book says
  1. Student instruction
  2. Non stop sight seeing
  4. Aerial work
    1. Agricultural flying
    2. Banner towing
    5. Parachute jumpers

The fact that it doesn’t fall under the authority of Part 119/121/125/135 only means that you don’t have to concern yourself with those regs for those operations. It doesn’t mean there aren’t additional hoops to go through to be legal for those operations. For example, ag flying falls under Part 137 and requires a check ride. Banner towing requires a waiver. I suspect patrol operations require a waiver as well.

Keep in mind also that a commercial lighter-than-air pilot can give instruction. There’s a lot of worlds besides powered airplanes. ;)

Last edited:
Most of the FARs are fairly easy to understand, but this one has lots of conditionals that make deciphering it difficult. If you read the whole section and ignore the parts that don’t apply to you it makes more sense. It basically says that here are some things that you can do that do not require you to follow the regulations in parts 121, 125, and 135.

§119.1 Applicability.
(a) This part applies to each person operating or intending to operate civil aircraft
(1) As an air carrier or commercial operator, or both, in air commerce; or…
(b) This part prescribes—…
c) Persons subject to this part must comply with the other requirements of this chapter…
(d) This part does not govern operations conducted under part 91, subpart K…
(e) Except for operations when common carriage is not involved conducted with airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration of 20 seats or more, excluding any required crewmember seat, or a payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more, this part does not apply to—

(1) Student instruction;
Bunch of other stuff

What kind of question was it in the Gleim? Or was it just an explanation?
It was in the Checkride prep book. But it's also a near direct quote of the FAR.

It was in the Checkride prep book. But it's also a near direct quote of the FAR.

As presented it looks like a statement. I couldn't find anything that wasn't true as a statement, but it also isn't complete. For instance you can receive compensation as a corporate pilot under Part 91 and towing gliders under the same part, the latter even with a PP rather than a CP certificate. There are may be others as well, so I presume those are just some examples of how you legally can end up with cash in your pocket for acting as PIC under Part 91.

I clearly read what you posted Doc and it was not accurate.

Ok Cliffy, where in 14 CFR Part 119 does it discuss Sport Pilot and Sport Pilot limitations?

In case you missed it, the discussion is on Commercial Pilot limitations and authorizations.

As presented it looks like a statement. I couldn't find anything that wasn't true as a statement, but it also isn't complete. For instance you can receive compensation as a corporate pilot under Part 91 and towing gliders under the same part, the latter even with a PP rather than a CP certificate. There are may be others as well, so I presume those are just some examples of how you legally can end up with cash in your pocket for acting as PIC under Part 91.
I have a card tucked in my FAR/AIM with this question on it. This is to remind me to ask my examiner what he thinks it says once the exam is over and we have reverted to chatting and war story mode.

Commercial pilots with a balloon or airship rating can give instruction in those types without being a CFI.

Ok Cliffy, where in 14 CFR Part 119 does it discuss Sport Pilot and Sport Pilot limitations?

In case you missed it, the discussion is on Commercial Pilot limitations and authorizations.

Got it!

Commercial pilots with a balloon or airship rating can give instruction in those types without being a CFI.
Ahhhh... that's where the puzzle piece fits. Thanks!

Keep in mind also that this reg doesn’t say, “A Commercial Pilot May....”. It’s merely pointing out what is and isn’t regulated by 119.

Edit: obviously 61.133 says what a commercial pilot may or may not do, and it clearly states that other regulations may apply (emphasis mine):

(a) Privileges—(1) General. A person who holds a commercial pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft—

(i) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire, provided the person is qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter that apply to the operation; and

(ii) For compensation or hire, provided the person is qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter that apply to the operation.”

So things like flight instruction, banner towing, ag flying, and charter are operations that require reference to additional regulations, but of those I mentioned, only charter is regulated under 119.

Last edited:
Back