Watching Falcon 9 Launch From Air. Any Issues?

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
Have a student that wants to go on a XC and watch the Falcon 9 launch tomorrow. The plan is to fly into KCOI first, get some fuel, and then go hang out in the area in red doing some holding patterns around 3000ft prior to the launch. I typically don't hang like hanging around TFR's and restricted areas, but just seeing if anyone sees any issues with this or have any suggestions about viewing and staying out of the way of others.

Launch.png

Thanks

I watched STS-95 from the air. It was a furball of aircraft. ATC told everyone to STBY their transponders. We were told to stay west of the river and I think we were around 3000 feet. It's high risk flying due to all the traffic so you really have to keep your head on a swivel.

Weather permitting don't get any closer than you need to. I watched STS-3 from about 20 N of the cape as it broke through the undercast.

I watched a space shuttle take off while I was flying. Really spectacular.!!!

I was just outside the restricted area. This was long before 9/11.

Here's an older video on the topic. The launch itself is from 15:30 forward:

Pilot: “Good thing is we can outclimb most everything here”
Falcon 9. “Hold my beer...”

Did you end up going? Flight was one day late due to winds. I watched it from my deck, but was thinking of going up. With all the puppy mills in that area, seems like high potential for midair though.

Back