200+ hp fixed gear single engine - where are they?

jeffs chips

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bulgin
I'm always amazed at how badly Google searches can turn out.

Can't seem to get a list of 200+ hp fixed gear singles.

Always bringing back articles on everything but what I need.

Anyone have a clue on model/manufacturers of these aircraft less than 90k used?

Thanks so much!

Some that come to mind:

C-182, C-205, PA-28-201T, PA-28-235, PA-32-260, BE 23-24 Musketeer Super III, Maule M7-235.

Also, C-180, 185, 205, 206, 207; PA-28-236, PA-32-300/301, but might be tough to find good examples in that price range.

What’s your mission? Rough strips? Load carrying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Cirrus SR20 to the list, except it's pushing the 90k limit pretty hard.

How many fixed gear variants did they produce?

None. But they did produce a sub 200 retract, and 3 plus 200 retracts, so exactly what the OP was looking for according to Uniform Forum Rule 34.2(b)(1)(C)

Panzel
Extra
Pitts S1-T, S1-11, the S2 variants.
CAP 21-260
Sukhoi S-29, S-31
Staudacher
Zlin Z-50
RV-10

Some will be more than the target price.

I'm always amazed at how badly Google searches can turn out.

Can't seem to get a list of 200+ hp fixed gear singles.

Always bringing back articles on everything but what I need.

Anyone have a clue on model/manufacturers of these aircraft less than 90k used?

Thanks so much!
Google search can sometimes work very poorly.. you can tell the algorithm, while somewhat individually tailored (depending on your settings, etc.) is generally geared towards the least common denominator.

T-41 (basically a 172 with 210HP; not any faster, but climbs great and good short field)

Cessna 182 is a go to platform at 230hp standard, or up to 300hp with STC's like P.Ponk at 260hp or Airplains with 300hp.

Last edited:
Velocity FG

PT-17/Stearman

Cessna 188 Agwagon

Piper Pawnee

Christen Eagle

Pitts S1c

Travel Air 4000

Why are we being limited to fixed gear? Once you decide you want the performance that >200HP provides, you start to do the math on what the increased cost of maintenance and insurance is, and realize it's not much - at least it wasn't in my case. Well worth it for me. I bought an A36 for more than 80K, but you can find great options for Beech 33's and 35s with amazing performance for less than 80K.

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I did some math and saw that the piper arrow speeds along at 75% Cruise: 161 mph and a PA-28 at 75% Cruise: 142 mph or about 20 miles per hour faster. Flying say for 500 miles one will arrive in 3 hours and 10 minutes the other in 3 hours and 52 minutes. Personally I think that a significant difference. Of coure one sips a bit less in gas. Any other nice-to-knows about the differences in 200 hp vs. < 200 hp?

Any other nice-to-knows about the differences in 200 hp vs. < 200 hp?
You're generally looking at either 6 cylinders or an angle valve injected 4 cylinder Lycoming. Both generally equate to more maintenance over an 180hp carbureted parallel valve 4 cylinder.

Cessna 182 is a go to platform at 230hp standard, or up to 300hp with STC's like P.Ponk at 260hp or Airplains with 300hp.
You got those backwards. Pponk is 260, Airplains is 300. Texas Skyways is 285hp

The RV-14 is designed around a 210hp IO-390, same engine as the new SR20 gets. So either of those planes meet the OP’s request. If you want a factory-built plane that you can actually go out and buy today, the 182 or PA-32 meet the requirement. That said, I have a 180hp Arrow and based on what the 200hp Arrow pilots report, I can tell you that horsepower gets you climb rate, not cruise speed, in an otherwise equivalent airframe. Cruise speed is much more a function of drag than engine power. That’s why a 180hp Arrow goes 25 knots faster than a 180hp Cherokee on the same fuel burn. The constant speed propeller may be part of that, but the landing gear is probably most of it.

That’s why a 180hp Arrow goes 25 knots faster than a 180hp Cherokee on the same fuel burn. The constant speed propeller may be part of that, but the landing gear is probably most of it.
There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. While the constant-speed prop certainly aids takeoff and climb, it probably does not help cruise speed much at all, and in fact might even hinder it slightly.

Of course all of the retractables have C/S props, but look at the older Cherokee 235 and Cherokee Six 260, both of which came standard with fixed pitch props, with C/S optional. With regard to both, the performance charts say cruise speed is at least 2 mph slower with the constant-speed prop.

Add Cirrus SR20 to the list, except it's pushing the 90k limit pretty hard.
The op listed 200+, IIRC the SR20 is 200hp and doesn't fit his criteria...by 1hp :)

Can we add the L-19 Bird Dog...I think it has the Conti 470.

Back