Ford v Ferrari

olasek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
olasek
I was really surprised last night how good the movie "Ford v Ferrari" is (based on true story). I was afraid the movie will be sort of one-dimensional repeat of something like Paul Newman's 1969 "Winning" (which I thing was a mediocre movie despite excellent cast) but this one is outstanding. Ideal movie to take your son to. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Ted
I just saw it last night as well. Great acting, great movie, even though I’m not really into cars.

Yep, I saw the Ford GT team in Sebring in 1970 or 71. It was great to see the background on the development of these cars. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Definitely a movie to see on a big screen. I enjoyed it but like a lot of true stories the director takes a bit of artistic liberties for sake of entertainment.

There is another movie on Netflix called 24 Hour War... suggest watching that too..

Got a chance to meet, well lets say be in the same room with him, Carrol Shelby at the Peterson Auto Museum doing a "Shelby" exhibit back in the lat 90s...

Anyone care to venture what the dome in the roof of this car is for?

le-mans-icon-ford-gt40.jpg

Yup, the Gurney bubble. Most race car drivers are like jockeys, small. Gurney was a tall and lanky 6’4”, so they had to bubble the roof on his car so he’d fit.

I loved the movie, and would love to see it again. I’ve debated whether I should take my son (7) to see it. I think he’s a couple years too young to get the most out of it.

But now I want a really nice theater room to watch it...

I was really surprised last night how good the movie "Ford v Ferrari" is (based on true story).

It really was excellent. Any car guy that knows the full story (and I am) should admire the way they bounded the story and told a part of it well instead of creating a sprawling story that tried to tell the whole thing and just made it muddled. Really well done and I fully expect Christian Bale will get some sort of Oscar nod.

Last edited:
I loved the movie, and would love to see it again. I’ve debated whether I should take my son (7) to see it. I think he’s a couple years too young to get the most out of it.

But now I want a really nice theater room to watch it...

Is it suitable to take my 9 YO son? He doesn't need to learn truly naughty words at this point.

Is it suitable to take my 9 YO son? He doesn't need to learn truly naughty words at this point.

It’s PG-13, but language is definitely at the limit for that rating.

Saw Ford vs Ferrari Saturday afternoon.

May watch it again, it was so good. Small errors in its history, but that is always there with movies, and much less than usual.

Gurney flap!

D'oh!

May watch it again, it was so good. Small errors in its history, but that is always there with movies, and much less than usual.

Same here. A couple of my automobile enthusiast friends have not seen it and I may go to see it again with them. It was really well done, and my wife (who is NOT an automobile enthusiast) enjoyed the movie too and got so wrapped-up in the story line, she was fuming over the Ford marketing executive at the end of the movie.

The current Ford guys are more hip are at least they were, a few years back the President of Ford who is British came and sat in my plane at Oshkosh. For those who don't know, Ford bought the large former Supermarine factory at Castle Bromwich in northern England and was building Jaguars and Fords there. I got to tour it as a vip visit, and they were polite even though I was not really a vip.

An online ratings site lists the GD and F words. Probably a no-go for the youngster.

A friend took his 9 year old son to see it but for me I think I’d rather he be 10 or so. Plus the ending I think would be hard for a boy with his dad.

I was really surprised last night how good the movie "Ford v Ferrari" is (based on true story). I was afraid the movie will be sort of one-dimensional repeat of something like Paul Newman's 1969 "Winning" (which I thing was a mediocre movie despite excellent cast) but this one is outstanding. Ideal movie to take your son to. Highly recommended.
Why not the daughters, too?

We very rarely go out to movies - maybe once a year or so, if that.

But we did go out to see Ford vs Ferrari, and enjoyed it a lot. One of those films worth seeing on the big screen.

As an aside, even with my hearing aids I struggled with some of the dialog. The accents didn’t help, and I found the kid a bit hard to understand. When we watch movies at home we usually resort to subtitles, so it felt like a loss not having that option in the theater.

Last edited:
We very rarely go out to movies - maybe one a year or so, if that.

But we did go out to see Ford vs Ferrari, and enjoyed it a lot. One of those films worth seeing on the big screen.

Same here. We rarely go to the movies, but was glad we did for this one. It was one of the very few movies I came out of saying "Well, that was actually worth the price of admission."

We very rarely go out to movies - maybe once a year or so, if that.

As an aside, even with my hearing aids I struggled with some of the dialog. The accents didn’t help, and I found the kid a bit hard to understand. When we watch movies at home we usually resort to subtitles, so it felt like a loss not having that option in the theater.
Check with the theater when you go in....many have an option for a widget to help with hearing aids.

Why not the daughters, too?

Because they generally won't go. I got turned down by my wife and both daughters. Fortunately my sister, who has some interest in motorsport, wanted to go so I didn't have to go by myself.

I really liked it, thought it was the best movie of all the racing movies I've seen. "Le Mans" is still my favorite but it's mostly just about a race. Like most racing movies, this one took a few liberties with what happens on the racetrack, but nothing too severe (i. e. "Days of Thunder').

When I got home, I pulled out my copy of The Unfair Advantage, which was written by Mark Donohue and Paul van Valkenburgh, to see what Mark Donohue had to say about the Ford race cars. He had a turn at both Holman-Moody and Shelby American during his tenure racing the Fords. He did say that Ken Miles did a good job of setting the cars up and there wasn't much the drivers had to do on race weekend.

I was a little disappointed they didn't cast someone to play that other guy named Carroll, Carroll Smith, who was one of motorsports's car preparation gurus, but then there's a reason I'm a software developer and not a script writer.

Speaking of The Unfair Advantage, it's one of the best motorsports books ever written. Rather than talking about his life, Mark devoted a chapter to each of the racing programs he was involved in, what they had to do to get each of them raceworthy, and the racing history of that program. It's worth putting on your Christmas list if you are interested in this sort of thing.

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing it when it comes out for home viewership.

Leah loved it. She had zero expecations. The last racing movie I made her watch was "Talladega Nights". So you can see why she had no expectations.

How would you like to drive one, that is the real race car not a replica? I have a friend who works for an off shoot of Jaguar in England. One day he got a phone call to come out to the test track. When he got there sitting on the ramp was a factory team D Jaguar, and not just any one but the one that one Le Mans,think it may have been in "55. They said, "Happy Birthday, you can take it for a few laps and please don't bend it its worth more than a Spitfire.

How would you like to drive one, that is the real race car not a replica? I have a friend who works for an off shoot of Jaguar in England. One day he got a phone call to come out to the test track. When he got there sitting on the ramp was a factory team D Jaguar, and not just any one but the one that one Le Mans,think it may have been in "55. They said, "Happy Birthday, you can take it for a few laps and please don't bend it its worth more than a Spitfire.

Eh, I suppose it's cool in the aspect of "I'm driving the actual car", but honestly for me, I don't derive much satisfaction from that. If the replica is 98% accurate to the original as far as design/power/handling, then it's close enough for me. It's like Ted's FFR Cobra where the kit cars can be made better than the originals ever were and be driven without fear of destroying a six-figure historical artifact.

Back