Hangar Hunting

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Any tips on hunting down rent-able hangars at sleepy airports? I've already tried calling airport managers to no avail. Next weekend I'm going to fly to them to poke around and see if I can find anything or talk to anyone.

I'm looking at moving to the other side of Madison and sure would like to bring the plane with.

@rwellner98 @ethanb @Badger @flyingcheesehead
Looking at KMRJ and 91C (Sauk) anyone I should talk to? (other than Ryan)

Last edited:
Spend some time at your airports of interest (especially weekends and afternoons). You’ll see that an unfortunately large percentage of hangars are occupied by non-aviation activities. Call the feds and have them rectify/follow their own guidance.

I say this slightly tongue in cheek but it is fairly annoying to know people are looking for hangars around here (realize you’re close but not that close) with the large amount of COMPLETELY non-aviation activity in many of them.

Good luck on finding a nice new home for your plane!

Our county appraiser will give you the names of all hangar owners.

I'll ask around and see if anything turns up.
Is Baraboo too far?
Sauk recently approved new hangar sites, I know a few people looking to switch around.

An FBO bulletin board if available. Other than that, put on that trench coat & sniff around, talk to anyone that may be around.

Is Baraboo too far?
Unfortunately yes, I'm looking at the Mt. Horeb/Cross Plains area which leaves me with Sauk, Lonerock, Mineral Point and Morey. I know better than to try for Morey, and I'm a bit worried about my plane getting flooded at Lone Rock. I figure between 4 potential airports I *should* be able to find a hangar in the next 6 months right?

I drive 20-25 minutes to the airport from home. What's your max range?

Your best bet is show up in person rather than call. Or find your hangar, then decide where to live. ;)

Your best bet is show up in person rather than call. Or find your hangar, then decide where to live. ;)
That's more-or-less what I'm doing. Where we live is highly dependent on if I can find a hangar on this side of the state. I'll do a nice round-robin flight this weekend and do some exploring.

You certainly have your work cut out looking for a open hangar in Wisconsin in December.

You certainly have your work cut out looking for a open hangar in Wisconsin in December.
I don't need it until June, but I'd like to have my ducks in a row.

Back