Bogus ADSB tracked landing fees

I have been charged with landing fees from airports I never landed at long before ADSB was around.

Mostly because folks can't read the N number and just guess.

KBDR always plays some games with charging fees.

The other thing that can and will happen is ADSB spoofing. I emailed someone I know that lives in LA, and told him that his plane showing (gotta love Flightradar) as being aloft in my area, near Cincinnati! His plane was, at the time, in his hangar at Whiteman, more than 1,600 nm to the west.
What a neat way to fend off landing fees! One can only hope that it was an error in programming a transmitter, as opposed to a malevolent act.

Are You a Victim of Aircraft Identity Theft??
For $250 we will
-get you a new 24-bit ICAO code
-get you a new anonymized S-beacon code
-clear bogus ATC/airport/FBO/taxing authority charges
-monitor & alert you of all a/c movements using your a/c ID
-put sand in the gas tanks of those evil fiends who stole your identity!

Call us now!
800-aircraftlock
aircraftlock.com

I had an airport new SkyAcres send me a bill for landing fees. I called them, said wtf. Flew near your airport, didn't land. They said sorry. And we lived happily ever after. The end.

Just another way to chip away at plane owners wealth.

I’ll always have mine off unless in airspace that requires it... Not planning to install in my current aircraft now anyway.

KBDR always plays some games with charging fees.
Its happened to me after departing a nearby airport to BDR but never landing there. This was before being equipped with ADS-B, but I did get flight following.
Vector was the culprit. A call will get them off your back, but why should this be happening in the first place. I’d like something done to prevent future exploitation. Maybe a call to the municipality indicating what a sleazy company that they have hired, although they probably won’t care as they will reap those fees that are not contested.

Are You a Victim of Aircraft Identity Theft??
For $250 we will
-get you a new 24-bit ICAO code
-get you a new anonymized S-beacon code
-clear bogus ATC/airport/FBO/taxing authority charges
-monitor & alert you of all a/c movements using your a/c ID
-put sand in the gas tanks of those evil fiends who stole your identity!

Call us now!
800-aircraftlock
aircraftlock.com
Business opportunity!

Actually, I see two business opportunities: one as described above, another as a company that helps airports collect airport landing fees! LOL

And additionally, this makes me also think of a fraud opportunity. A guy could just use flightaware to watch aircraft land at an airport, record their N numbers, look up the owners on the FAA website, then send them phony bills. I bet you'd be shocked at how many would pay!

people that attain wealth tend to look at every penny.

If they did they wouldn’t have business jets. It’s the guys cutting coupons that look art every penny and none of those goy has a Citation.

Last edited:
Bridgeport is in Connecticut.

Which is probably the worst run state in the US, sky high taxes and a majorly decreasing tax base, if a state were to die in this country, that would be the first one.

If $7 bucks makes a chip in your wealth you don’t have any wealth.

Give every looter $7 and you soon won’t have anything left, plus a principled man doesn’t cave in to looters, see death by a thousand paper cuts.

And if this happens to me, I will send a firm but polite email declining to pay unless provided with a photo of my plane at your facility or an FBO receipt that I have a copy of. This kind of erroneous billing happens now when folks write down a transposed N number. So this is an old problem attached to new technology. Apparently my call sign is so confusing, ATC can't get it straight 2 times out of 3, so maybe someone else is paying my landing fees! :rolleyes:

That’s because you never been wealthy Salty. $7 doesn’t leave a scratch.
The thing is, it’s not that you don’t know anything, it’s just that so much of what you know isn’t so.

- paraphrased from Ronald Reagan

The thing is, it’s not that you don’t know anything, it’s just that so much of what you know isn’t so.

$7 wouldn’t have scratched Ronald Reagan wealth either.

$7 wouldn’t have scratched Ronald Reagan wealth either.
It's more about the principal. Sending me a bill for $7 when no services were rendered is BS.

No receipt, no picture, no ATC tape but someone is going to send me a bill?
Now I've got to take my time to call up and tell them to FOAD. How many times are you willing to do that before it seems unreasonable?

It's more about the principal. Sending me a bill for $7 when no services were rendered is BS.

Now I've got to take my time to call up and tell them to FOAD. How many times are you willing to do that before it seems unreasonable?
You fly a plane, so you’re rich, so you should just pay it. According to clip. If you don’t then you aren’t rich and you probably can’t afford to fly a plane. You certainly can’t afford to pay an instructor for dual while you’re solo.

I not arguing let them have the money, I am just saying $7 isn’t going to chip away at your wealth unless your stack is short.

You fly a plane, so you’re rich, so you should just pay it. According to clip. If you don’t then you aren’t rich and you probably can’t afford to fly a plane. You certainly can’t afford to pay an instructor for dual while you’re solo.

If $7 is a lot of money to you, flying isn’t your hobby.

I’ll always have mine off unless in airspace that requires it... Not planning to install in my current aircraft now anyway.
I'm pretty sure it's required at all times once it's installed. Trying to shed electrical load during a recent alternator failure, I learned that mine won't even stay turned off unless I pull the breaker. There's the option of Anonymous Mode in UAT, for what that's worth.

I not arguing let them have the money, I am just saying $7 isn’t going to chip away at your wealth unless your stack is short.
If $7 is a lot of money to you, flying isn’t your hobby.
$7 adds up. I don't have a lot of spare money to throw around. I make my own lunch and coffee and save that money for flying.
You slayed that strawman. Nobody said $7 is a lot of money.
It's not, by itself. But $7 here and $7 there, and it adds up. The money I don't spend in a month buying lunch gets me an hour of flying.

[
$7 adds up. I don't have a lot of spare money to throw around. I make my own lunch and coffee and save that money for flying.
It's not, by itself. But $7 here and $7 there, and it adds up. The money I don't spend in a month buying lunch gets me an hour of flying.

So that everyone is one the same page here, wealth is defined as an abundance of valuable possessions or money. Not saving lunch money too fly. If you have wealth, a airport authority billing you $7 isn’t going to chip it away.

[

So that everyone is one the same page here, wealth is defined as an abundance of valuable possessions or money. Not saving lunch money too fly. If you have wealth, a airport authority billing you $7 isn’t going to chip it away.
It’s thinking like that which explains why most lottery winners end up broke.

Reagan ripped that quote off of Josh Billings, and jacked it up in the process. So there’s something you believe that’s just not so. ;)

If you do a touch and go at an airport which has a fee for doing a touch and go, and you don't pay the bill when you get it in the mail, what are the next steps and consequences?

Separate, I agree with the idea that bills in the mail should be accompanied by evidence that you really do owe that money... kind of like how a traffic camera includes photos/videos of the car caught in the act.

If I didn't watch every $7 purchase, I wouldn't be the millionaire I am today. No wait...

If I didn't watch every $1M purchase, I wouldn't be the $7-aire I am today. Yeah, that's probably it.

Budget watching is what wealthy people do. It is mostly the ULTRA wealthy people that don't care about $7.

Back