Resource for Hangar Home Designs?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
We are looking at a vacant lot on an air park. Where would one look for house and hangar plans? We haven’t gotten to the step of asking the neighbors yet; It’s about 25-50% built out now.

Resources for Hanger Homes are few and far in between. Normally based on functionality in stead of Architectural creativity. Here is a few of our's....hope they inspire
Large Home web uploads.jpg small h home web uploads.jpg Meduim Home web uploads.jpg

Attachments

• Hanger web uploads.jpg
    Hanger web uploads.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 21
We named ours “Wingin’ It” because it started out as a “pole barn with a bathroom” and ended up as a hangar home with about 1,350’ of living space over two floors. General contractor did a great job as it morphed from one thing to another.

33804422548_d02278af13_z.jpg

Long thread on the process on this forum, just search for “pole barn”. Happy to help if I can.

IMG_4504.jpg

Here are 3 examples. First on the left home inside hangar with parking on left. Next part of living quarters in hangar, part behind hangar. Last, on the right, separate hangar joined by a breezeway. More living space and more hangar room. (This is my place hence the bias) This keeps fumes from hangar away from living quarters. (I'm an A&P IA) There is a 12 X 36 room in the hangar for wife's hobbies.

Thanks.

What we were thinking was one office for me and one hobby room for Mrs. 455 in the hangar. Would like it attached for nothing more than weather and being able to run out in the middle of the night to tinker, without having to clothe-up. But the fumes are a good reminder to watch out for.

One of the interesting things I see, but would not like, is a home inside a hangar where some of the windows overlook the hangar space. I’d rather look outside at green, critters, and weather through all windows.

Also thinking about ranch style, no stairs.

Thanks.

What we were thinking was one office for me and one hobby room for Mrs. 455 in the hangar. Would like it attached for nothing more than weather and being able to run out in the middle of the night to tinker, without having to clothe-up. But the fumes are a good reminder to watch out for.

One of the interesting things I see, but would not like, is a home inside a hangar where some of the windows overlook the hangar space. I’d rather look outside at green, critters, and weather through all windows.

Also thinking about ranch style, no stairs.

I like ranch style homes, but grew up (and currently own) two-story homes. I’d take advantage of the fact that it’s generally cheaper to build UP than OUT, and do a mix. If you design it so that any living space upstairs is storage/spare bedrooms/hobby rooms, it means you don’t have to venture up and down the stairs daily or even weekly, but still get to use the cheap-to-build space. I also like two-stories if there’s any sort of view to be had which the increased elevation helps to optimize.

I’d also rather have the hangar portion mostly separate just for noise/smells of whatever I’d be working on in a shop/garage/hangar. Sometimes it’s nice not to wake up the wife/baby when I’m running an air compressor or impact gun. Having the hangar only share one wall with the living space or even be separated entirely is nice in that aspect as opposed to many of the hangar homes which build a living space IN the hangar.

Last edited:
No stairs for me. Empty nest so 2 BR, 2 bath inside and a 1/2 bath in the 55’ x 60’ hangar. The living area sticks out about 16’ in front of the hangar so the living room has windows on three sides. Neighbors with flush front walls all comment they wish they’d done the same.

A0F58C2D-482B-450F-8A8C-29E013EB2565.jpeg

I do like the idea of sitting on a second floor deck in the afternoon watching planes.

I kind of have designed the hangar, with 2 rooms (office for me and craft room for her) and 1/2 bath, and storage.

Looking to see what off-the-shelf plans there are that might work for the home itself, no reason to reinvent:
-no formal dining or living wanted
-open floor plan from kitchen to large breakfast area to living room
-wraparound covered porch/deck
-3 car garage, with mudroom
-MBr with attached laundry
-3 other bedrooms, with full bath
-Utilities in garage
-Looking at 2500 sf or so for the home.

MBr must face east, family room must face west - I like the sun. Don’t want any direct north facing sides due to upkeep with moss and mold growth.

Here is the lot. Woods & ravine NW quadrant, grassland NE, farm S half. Grass runway 9-27. Area on S side of cul-de-sac is common area.

6A7D50FE-183D-4E53-998F-80730B1003D5.png

If we can’t buy and build for less than what we have now, we’re not gonna do it. That might be a tough order. This is part of pre-retirement planning, looking to have no house payment 5-7 years out. We’ll see how realistic that is in the coming weeks.

Do you have any idea how big a quilting machine is? :D

My wife doesn't have one, solely because we don't have room for one in our house. If I had a hangar (twice as big as needed for that exact reason) I'm sure that "problem" would end.

She has more fabric than she will ever use and still buys more every chance she gets. I know by heart how to get to her two favorite fabric stores on the island of Kauai, and we stop at them every time we're on that island. Fortunately, Kapaia Stitchery will ship. I don't know about the other one (yet).

Back