Someone Just Had a Very Bad Day in D.C.

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
Airspace violation reported, fighter jets scrambled and the White House was put on lockdown.

Welcome to hell to whoever made that mistake.

What are the details? There's very little in the news. My guess is it's a Cirrus.

Our anti-terrorism campaign catches yet another non-terrorist. What's the count now? I know it is 0 Terrorist, I don't know the number of non-terrorists caught.

Regardless, the program has a pretty lousy record.

Hey don't take this too lightly. After the mass drone attack on those Saudi oil facilities, I'm sure this sort of thing is keeping a lot of security people from sleeping.

...I know it is 0 Terrorist...Regardless, the program has a pretty lousy record.
Actually I read it was somewhere around 42 terrorist actions prevented and double that number if you include domestic groups. But as you stated, it's not a perfect record as they still missed a few since around 120 people have been killed in terror actions since 9/11. So if some putz pilot can't read a map and gets the hammer dropped on him, at least it's only a headline on POA vs something worse.;)

Actually I read it was somewhere around 42 terrorist actions prevented and double that number if you include domestic groups. But as you stated, it's not a perfect record as they still missed a few since around 120 people have been killed in terror actions since 9/11. So if some putz pilot can't read a map and gets the hammer dropped on him, at least it's only a headline on POA vs something worse.;)
Heck, a FREE app that runs on his smartphone would have given him great guidance.

Slow moving blob lol...did they think it was the aliens from Independence Day?

It was me. I flew right over the north end of Dulles at 10,000 MSL. I was doing 240 Kts and didn't talk to a soul.
Of course, I was in seat 9A on SW Airlines at the time.

Hey don't take this too lightly. After the mass drone attack on those Saudi oil facilities, I'm sure this sort of thing is keeping a lot of security people from sleeping.

Meh...I think that you give them too much credit.

Don't forget the gyrocopter guy that landed on the Smithsonian Mall in front of the Capital building. He was making a statement. He was focused on some abstract policy issue, but the real statement was that the defenses around the capital are inadequate to deal with a determined adversary. You could hit any target you want before the fighters were scrambled and arrived on scene. The veil isn't that large.

Our anti-terrorism campaign catches yet another non-terrorist. What's the count now? I know it is 0 Terrorist, I don't know the number of non-terrorists caught.

Good thing it's not that expensive :confused:

Just because they're not in the news doesn't mean there are none being caught or stopped.

Actual photo of the incursion in progress:
wilson_kite.jpg

Ron "Farewell, Mr. Wilson!" Wanttaja

Not me, either...although I flew a Cardinal in and out of the DC SFRA (KHEF) earlier today! (My chaff system DID NOT dispense baby cardinals to confuse the jets and lasers!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would have been happy to help shoot down those terrorist geese.

Just because they're not in the news doesn't mean there are none being caught or stopped.

Actually, it does. The program has not caught a single terrorist. If it had, DHS would be telling everyone about how the program works because that would absolutely justify it's existence.

Even with the SFRA and FRZ, there's still commercial traffic flying the Potomac River route. The distance from the Potomac to the White House is 1.5 miles. At a Boeing approach speed of 155 kts, that's just 30 seconds from the time the aircraft departs it's expected route for someone to catch, raise the alarm and people to react. If they accelerate, it is less. The only thing keeping terrorists from crashing an airplane into the White House is because they don't want to. It most certainly isn't because we are keeping aircraft from flying over DC.

Last edited:
I was a witness, on the ground, when that governor's twin was intercepted heading into DC, back when none of the people watching were talking to, or in the same room, with each other.

Just like from the book; F-16 on his left wing, the shooter in trail. I was fascinated - guns or a heater? Over Georgia Ave., in a heavily populated area, close-in MD suburb . Whatever they used, someone was going to get a steel/aluminum sh*t storm. Cooler heads prevailed.

Actually, it does. The program has not caught a single terrorist. If it had, DHS would be telling everyone about how the program works because that would absolutely justify it's existence.

Even with the SFRA and FRZ, there's still commercial traffic flying the Potomac River route. The distance from the Potomac to the White House is 1.5 miles. At a Boeing approach speed of 155 kts, that's just 30 seconds from the time the aircraft departs it's expected route for someone to catch, raise the alarm and people to react. If they accelerate, it is less. The only thing keeping terrorists from crashing an airplane into the White House is because they don't want to. It most certainly isn't because we are keeping aircraft from flying over DC.
There’s no way to make something completely secure. All you can do is change the likely attack vector. There’s no way to prove that flight restrictions didn’t change someone’s plan, so your statement is over-reaching.

That said, I don’t agree with punishing innocent people every day because someone might commit a crime someday.

I’d be voting to at least shrink the 30 mile Pres TFR some, soften the rules a bit. I doubt that’s in the works though, we are few.

For the CIA or FBI, sure. The TSA would want it in the news as they just seem to cause people grief for nothing.

Wayne

There’s no way to prove that flight restrictions didn’t change someone’s plan, so your statement is over-reaching.

stating that there is no way to prove any justification for the program is part of my statement. The program continues despite zero evidence that it has a positive impact and plenty of evidence of negative impact.

they still could if they chose to. So it isn’t the SFRA or FRZ that stops them.

Back