Best Cruiser motorcycle on a budget?

Nothing wrong with wrenching an older Eurobike if that’s your thing, I just think a new rider should have something reliable such that they’re not worried about the bike when learning to ride.

That implies that the european bikes aren’t reliable. That hasn’t been my personal observation and just like with european cars, I believe it is a reputation that is undeserved and is mostly created by folks with little or no experience with them. I will however say that if a dealership is required for service then the Italian options might not be a good choice. The dealerships are few and far between while the Japanese and American brands have a shop in every town.

I feel that any new bike (when I say new I mean things built in the last 20 years) should be more than reliable enough for even the most novice of rider with minimal mechanical knowledge, provided that the bike purchased wasn’t a POS to begin with. I haven’t had the need to do anything to any modern bike I’ve owned aside from the most basic maintenance.

I’ve owned five European bikes, of the brands I’ve owned Triumph and BMW have been very good. The Ducati, although expertly maintained per the book, started dying at 6 years and 50kmi. Every few months, something expensive needed repaired. And not just me, looking at Ducati forums, I found many others were having the same problems. Personally, I’m back to BMW.

Anyway, I just don’t think it right to recommend a used Ducati to a newbie.

Peace.

• Starting bike: Hard to beat a good used Suzuki SV650 (the standard, not the hunched over sportbike style). Docile enough for a beginner, with enough power and handling to entertain expert riders. Best thing is you can find good used ones for sale all day long at ~$3500. It just may be all the bike you would need.
  • Yes, you want that Harley sound and feel. Having ridden and owned Japanese v-twins, BMW boxers, and Harley big twins, nothing sounds and feels like a Harley (except for maybe one of the single crank pin Japanese cruisers...maybe). Get that SV650, learn to ride, then sell it and get a Harley big twin. Or keep the SV and still get a Harley!

Best motorcycling wisdom I've read in this thread so far. A used SUZUKI SV650 would be one of the very best choices to learn on. After you gain some experience you're much better qualified to choose the right machine and spend a big wad of cash.

My 2010 Ducati Multi Strada 1200 has been rock solid reliable! One of the very best bikes I've ever owned, and had many. Not sure why Ducati has a bad name with some people.

Regarding tips, if you can get ahold of a lighter bike something like a 250 or 350, or even smaller, try riding it on wet grass. That will help you learn the control needed if you ever run into an issue on the road.
The best driving skills (in auto or motorcycle) are taught on dirt/grass! Lots of handling is learned by letting it get out of control then understanding how to correct it in an environment which limits damage/injury to vehicle or it's occupants.

My 2010 Ducati Multi Strada 1200 has been rock solid reliable! One of the very best bikes I've ever owned, and had many. Not sure why Ducati has a bad name with some people.

I also had a 2010 Multi 1200 (see .sig), and it was great up to 6 years and about 50kmi. How many miles have you put on your bike? Anyway, at that time it started having problems, and the small ones I could live with. Fork seals, replacing the damping motors atop the fork tubes, switch gear, etc. What I could not live with is when it started having hot start issues. As in, wouldn't start hot at all. 1st time it occurred 400mi from home, and the only way to finish the trip was to allow the engine to fully cool before it would start again. So yes, engine running gas stops.

The dealer went through a long diagnosis process, new battery, new starter solenoid, new cables from the battery->solenoid->starter, new starter, etc. They even tried a new computer, but no dice. I grew tired of this and worked a deal with the owner and traded it on a new GS water boxer. The dealer ended up auctioning off the bike on e-bay, and I pity the fool who bought the thing (unless he happened to be a Ducati magician, as the dealer could never find the problem).

I'll put up with issues, no problem. What I won't put up with is a bike stranding me 400mi from home when I'm on a vacation. Also, a modern bike should be capable of 100k without undue issues. I have confidence in BMW, the R1150RT I had before the Multi went 90k trouble free miles in the seven years I owned the bike.

If I bought a Harley it would be anything but a Sportster. They don't maintain their resale value & not that pleasant to ride. Find a Dyna or Street glide.

Do you think there is a substantial difference in further depreciation between a $3500 sportster and and other motorcycles in that price range ?

I notice there seem to be plenty of low mileage sportsters that show up on the market. The story usually includes some version of 'i bought it for my wife but she doesn't ride'......

You are living my dream life!

Thanks. I took an early retirement in 2012 to do airplane stuff. I was a civil engineer. I went to A&P school for 2 -1/2 years and got my ticket in 2015. Worked a couple places that weren't so great but then had the opportunity to work all last year restoring Beech 18s. The owner gave me the opportunity to basically do my own self directed apprenticeship. Now I do some independent work including a Beech 18 for another owner.

My buddy had a Magna. That was a powerful bike. But the range was low. I think it was about 80 miles on a tank, which suited me fine because we could stop and stretch. I dont know if it was because it was a beast 4 cylinder, or I suspect, the carb wasnt right. He always had troubles with it if he didnt start it regularly. I had a Fat Boy, it was a good cruiser. Low though. Still had fun on the Dragon with it. Just had to careful when grinding the floorboards on corners.

Last edited:
Think in terms of power to weight ration instead of volume.

A 600cc sport bike delivering 116hp and weighing 366lbs is a much difference experience than an 883 delivering 53hp at 489lbs dry. The numbers are just numbers though, power delivery is entirely different, too.

During your rider course, you’ll spend a lot of time with throttle control in slow and very slow speed regimes, both straight line and maneuvering. Those exercises are fundamental and it will serve well to master those exercises with whatever (if any) motorcycle you end up with.

This brings up a point I forgot. If you buy a 600 cc bike with over 100 HP, you’re taking the spirit of the recommendation incorrectly. Really under 75 HP is ideal.

Though people denigrate sport bikes, I found my fire breathing sport bike (Honda 954rr) are easier to ride than the Goldwing I owned along side it. The Fireblade had power to spare to get out of any situation, could stop on a dime and maneuver around anything. The Goldwing was a pig, a lot of mass to stop on the same brakes. Couldn't accelerate out of much either. I would tell the OP to keep an open mind. Lots of bikes out there. Harley is but one maker.

All that said, start out on something small. I like the 250cc and 300cc bikes for trainers. I love the idea of wet grass, that'll really teach you control. That,and they're maneuverable and stop quickly, keeping you out of trouble. I would just council against jumping onto a big bike straightaway. I cut my teeth on a 250cc dirt bike, and owned a 400cc parallel twin for years after that. I doubt I'd still be here had I started on a liter V twin. Those things have quite a bit of grunt.

Kawa Vulcan is pretty descent. I rented a smaller 900cc(Classic i think) one a few years ago and spent 3 days on it 2-up. While I wouldn't call it fast, it handled highways and back roads pretty well in the Smokies. Very comfortable. Really nice style(for me). Pretty good suspension and clearance. Also, about $7,000 NEW. I believe they make a bigger model as well.

2015-Kawasaki-Vulcan-900-Classic-LT4.jpg

Yamaha Roadliner/Stratoliner is belt drive. I've seen thousands of posts on motorcycle forums and NEVER seen any that complained about not being stable. Just the opposite!! They complain about a small gas tank and only a 5 speed transmission. But with 1900CC there is plenty of "grunt" and doesn't need another speed.

12.jpg

My '84 VF700C Magna has about a 130 mile range, and it was my second bike. First was a 1980 CB650C. Would not have wanted the Magna as my first bike. I weighed about 145 at 5'8", it has a pretty high center of gravity, and is very fast for a small cruiser. I believe the 1100 version was the fastest production bike that year, but I could be wrong. Liked both of my bikes, but at this point in my life I'm ready to move to something a bit more comfortable and sedate. Still love to ride.

Yamaha Roadliner/Stratoliner is belt drive. I've seen thousands of posts on motorcycle forums and NEVER seen any that complained about not being stable. Just the opposite!! They complain about a small gas tank and only a 5 speed transmission. But with 1900CC there is plenty of "grunt" and doesn't need another speed.

I may have ridden a bad one, but the suspension was wobbly above 75. Handling was meh at best. Yamaha builds wonderful engines, but my experience with their brakes and suspension is lackluster. My V-Max was definitely that way - engine was beautiful and I loved it. Suspension and brakes were pretty awful. Then again, they were probably no worse than a Sportster.

Though people denigrate sport bikes, I found my fire breathing sport bike (Honda 954rr) are easier to ride than the Goldwing I owned along side it. The Fireblade had power to spare to get out of any situation, could stop on a dime and maneuver around anything. The Goldwing was a pig, a lot of mass to stop on the same brakes. Couldn't accelerate out of much either. I would tell the OP to keep an open mind. Lots of bikes out there. Harley is but one maker.

I'll agree with you that sportbikes are easier to ride on the whole for the competent rider. Many more active safety features in the form of acceleration, braking, turning, and small size (i.e. able to fit through small gaps to get out of danger).

Really, all motorcycles are fun, but as you said they're also all dangerous. Motorcycling is a lot more about the visceral experiences for most than driving a car, though, and so that's where having the look/sound that you want in particular matters a great deal. Someone mentioned the FJR1300 and it is a great bike (an awful choice for a newbie), but the in-line 4 cylinder I find is just not what I want for visceral qualities. I wish they put the VMax engine in the FJR1300.

Though some folks start off on Goldwings, Stratoliners and big Harley’s, it’s safer and easier to learn on a smaller bike. A suggestion might be to look at the possibility of learning on a dual-sport (enduro). You can learn a lot by riding off-road without having to deal with traffic. When clutching, braking and proper use of the throttle become second nature you can ease onto the highway with confidence and less distraction from operating the bike safely. I used this approach and have been riding safely since 1975.
I ride an 800# touring bike and also have a 250cc dual-sport that is more fun to ride than the big Harley. The Harley is great for touring (two-up) but the real fun is on the smaller bike (way cheaper to own too!)
Do yourself a favor and start with a smaller cc bike so your introduction to motorcycling will be a fun and successful endeavor.

Though some folks start off on Goldwings, Stratoliners and big Harley’s, it’s safer and easier to learn on a smaller bike. A suggestion might be to look at the possibility of learning on a dual-sport (enduro). You can learn a lot by riding off-road without having to deal with traffic. When clutching, braking and proper use of the throttle become second nature you can ease onto the highway with confidence and less distraction from operating the bike safely. I used this approach and have been riding safely since 1975.
I ride an 800# touring bike and also have a 250cc dual-sport that is more fun to ride than the big Harley. The Harley is great for touring (two-up) but the real fun is on the smaller bike (way cheaper to own too!)
Do yourself a favor and start with a smaller cc bike so your introduction to motorcycling will be a fun and successful endeavor.

Yeah. I really do not think a Goldwing, Stratoliner, or touring Harley is a good idea. A softtail or Dyna you could probably get away with fine, but really you're teaching yourself how to ride. At least if you started flying in an MU-2 (back pre-SFAR) you had an instructor with you for a few hundred hours to hopefully make sure you don't kill yourself. On a motorcycle someone can tell you what to do, but you're really learning yourself.

but the in-line 4 cylinder I find is just not what I want for visceral qualities. I wish they put the VMax engine in the FJR1300.
There was a big bike show in town a couple months ago, and they had demo rides associated with it. I rode a couple Harleys and didn't like them at all. Wasn't certain it was the Harley or the cruiser style, so I tried a Yamaha bolt. Didn't like it either. That said, the KTM Super Duke uses a Vtwin, and I liked that just fine (probably a little too much). So I guess it isn't so much the engine, as what the engine does for the bike. The KTM was hands down the best bike I've ever ridden, period. I'd run out and buy one but I left the 18 AMU price tag in my other pants.

There was a big bike show in town a couple months ago, and they had demo rides associated with it. I rode a couple Harleys and didn't like them at all. Wasn't certain it was the Harley or the cruiser style, so I tried a Yamaha bolt. Didn't like it either. That said, the KTM Super Duke uses a Vtwin, and I liked that just fine (probably a little too much). So I guess it isn't so much the engine, as what the engine does for the bike. The KTM was hands down the best bike I've ever ridden, period. I'd run out and buy one but I left the 18 AMU price tag in my other pants.

It's both, and it also depends on what you look for. Keep in mind I am an engine person moreso than about anyone I know. Many people don't give a damn whether the engine is a Ferrari V12 or a squirrel so long as it makes the vehicle do what they want. If anything, many would prefer to not have an engine at all (evidence: the popularity of Tesla).

I am not that way. While the total package matters, the engine for me is by far the most important part of it. It's not just what it does for the vehicle, it's also how much the sounds and vibrations stimulate my brain. Yes, responsiveness and power output characteristics also matter a great deal, but to that end the in-line 4 of the FJR delivers very well, but it has all the visceral pleasure of a dishwasher. The V-Max engine had the benefit of a wonderful power curve while also having the right sounds and vibrations. To me, the I4 is the most boring of all engines with the wrong primary and secondary vibrations.

I also had a 2010 Multi 1200 (see .sig), and it was great up to 6 years and about 50kmi. How many miles have you put on your bike? Anyway, at that time it started having problems, and the small ones I could live with. Fork seals, replacing the damping motors atop the fork tubes, switch gear, etc. What I could not live with is when it started having hot start issues. As in, wouldn't start hot at all. 1st time it occurred 400mi from home, and the only way to finish the trip was to allow the engine to fully cool before it would start again. So yes, engine running gas stops.

The dealer went through a long diagnosis process, new battery, new starter solenoid, new cables from the battery->solenoid->starter, new starter, etc. They even tried a new computer, but no dice. I grew tired of this and worked a deal with the owner and traded it on a new GS water boxer. The dealer ended up auctioning off the bike on e-bay, and I pity the fool who bought the thing (unless he happened to be a Ducati magician, as the dealer could never find the problem).

I'll put up with issues, no problem. What I won't put up with is a bike stranding me 400mi from home when I'm on a vacation. Also, a modern bike should be capable of 100k without undue issues. I have confidence in BMW, the R1150RT I had before the Multi went 90k trouble free miles in the seven years I owned the bike.

I have several bikes, and don't remember the mileage off hand, but when I get home tomorrow night I can look. Mine has been bulletproof so far though. Makes me wonder if the valves were too tight. Some people are not used to the Ducati valve train, and they don't adjust them correctly. Many years ago I bought a poorly running used Duc. Once the valves were set properly ( Duc technician di them for me ) that bike ran perfectly for years, and when I sold it still ran great. I will set the valves myself in some of my bikes, my Ducatis always go to someone who knows how the Desmo system works and has done many of them. Desmo is a great system, however its different when a cam lobe closes the valves as well as opens them. I recently checked the valves in my new Honda 450 L, they are still in specifications, yet some people warned me when I bought it that it would need frequent valve adjustments. Haven't changed a shim yet, and the myth is busted on the new Honda 450 L dualsport having a high maintenance engine. I seem to have extremely good experiences with the engines in almost everything I own, bikes to planes. If my Duc starts getting sketchy, I will take it to a shop, if they can't fix it, I will trade it in. Had my eye on a new KTM 1290 Super Duke R anyway.

Now back on topic, when my girlfriend was learning to ride, i got her a 250 dualsport for practice, then a year later she had some experience but I wanted to get her an easy bike to ride, so chose a Yamaha Bolt. She loves it and its a great all around bike, and something to consider OP.

Regarding helmets, anyone have a bluetooth helmet they recommend?

I’ve been pleased with the Sena SMH10; pairs with phone, up to 4 riders and an FM receiver. Good quality audio.

Don’t mess around with phone while riding; if you need directions it’ll send voice from your nav app to the headset.

I’ve been pleased with the Sena SMH10; pairs with phone, up to 4 riders and an FM receiver. Good quality audio.

Don’t mess around with phone while riding; if you need directions it’ll send voice from your nav app to the headset.
Was hoping to get a helmet with bluetooth already integrated but I haven't found a good one without it being $700+. The Sena SMH10 seems to have great reviews so I may just have to get a helmet without bluetooth and put the Sena or similar in.

Regarding helmets, anyone have a bluetooth helmet they recommend?

My wife and I have Nolan N100 helmets with their n-com Bluetooth. Keep in mind those were bought probably 8 years ago so I’m sure there’s other technology out there but we liked it.

Another plus one for the SMH10, I’ve had mine for years, works great. A2DP pairing for stereo music from the phone and HFP pairing with the GPS. And of course pairing with other riders.

I am not that way. While the total package matters, the engine for me is by far the most important part of it. It's not just what it does for the vehicle, it's also how much the sounds and vibrations stimulate my brain. Yes, responsiveness and power output characteristics also matter a great deal, but to that end the in-line 4 of the FJR delivers very well, but it has all the visceral pleasure of a dishwasher. The V-Max engine had the benefit of a wonderful power curve while also having the right sounds and vibrations. To me, the I4 is the most boring of all engines with the wrong primary and secondary vibrations.
If you think gobs of power in a linear delivery curve and nearly bulletproof with little maintenance is boring, I’ll take boring any day. Yes, I liked the KTM, but an in-line 4 of the same displacement would have left it behind in the dust. When I went to the races the Vtwin literbikes raced the in-line 650’s. The in-line 4 liter bikes raced each other. I’ll bet it’s that way today. Posers ride Vtwins. Racers ride the in-line 4s. As legendary as the Honda RC51 was, it wasn’t anywhere near as fast as the 954. I don’t care about the damn noise. I care about the performance.

If you think gobs of power in a linear delivery curve and nearly bulletproof with little maintenance is boring, I’ll take boring any day. Yes, I liked the KTM, but an in-line 4 of the same displacement would have left it behind in the dust. When I went to the races the Vtwin literbikes raced the in-line 650’s. The in-line 4 liter bikes raced each other. I’ll bet it’s that way today. Posers ride Vtwins. Racers ride the in-line 4s. As legendary as the Honda RC51 was, it wasn’t anywhere near as fast as the 954. I don’t care about the damn noise. I care about the performance.

I would expect that from you, Michael. I never said that the engines I enjoy more were faster or otherwise better, I said I like them better.

And yes, in-line 4s are boring. Very boring.

I would expect that from you, Michael. I never said that the engines I enjoy more were faster or otherwise better, I said I like them better.

And yes, in-line 4s are boring. Very boring.
The only reason you might find one boring is you never rode my death machine. There is nothing at all boring about that kind of responsiveness and speed. Riding upright in a straight line all day because you’ll bottom out the pegs in a turn is boring.

The only reason you might find one boring is you never rode my death machine. There is nothing at all boring about that kind of responsiveness and speed. Riding upright in a straight line all day because you’ll bottom out the pegs in a turn is boring.

********. I had a Bandit 1200S (my second bike), the FJR1300. I've ridden my share of liter class I4 sportbikes but realized I didn't enjoy the power delivery as much.

I didn't say that the riding experience was boring or that the power was lackluster. I said that the engine itself was boring. That doesn't mean it doesn't make good performance. I4s in cars are boring, too. Doesn't mean the car doesn't perform well.

I also had a Bandit 1200S. Never found it to be boring, though. Sold it after 55,000 miles. Fast, comfortable and 100% reliable.

YAMAHA R1 with the cross-plane crank sounds super cool with an aftermarket exhaust. Not exactly a beginners bike.

I also had a Bandit 1200S. Never found it to be boring, though. Sold it after 55,000 miles. Fast, comfortable and 100% reliable.

Mine was the 1250, but basically the same bike, and a great bike at that.

I've owned 1000 cc crotch rockets, and many other styles, nowadays I prefer dual sports for about 3/4 of my riding. I did like the demo ride on the new KTM 1290 though, but not cheap, or for newbies like the OP wants. It felt really damn fast, and would snap into a wheelie basically at will.
I'm trying not to become an organ donor too early.

Back