Hello. Newb.

Jesse2164

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GlowWorm64
I'm new here, and to the idea of SLA (or flying, by and large).
Hoping to get a lot of insight from others, and I promise to look things up before I ask a question that there are already 100 posts on. ;)

Welcome to PoA, Jesse. I fly an LSA by choice. I converted it from SLSA to experimental with the help of a DAR so I can do my own maintenance and modifications, then obtained my FAA LSA Repairman-Inspection certificate so I can perform my own condition inspections. Some LSAs are quite capable.

There are lots of knowledgeable folks here who can help answer questions.

Hi Jesse,

Welcome aboard. There are some argumentative souls on this board; don't feed them, and don't let them scare you away, and you'll be fine.

A gentle start for terminology. A LSA is a light sport aircraft. A Sport Pilot can fly an LSA, but he can't fly aircraft that exceed any of the LSA limitations. A private pilot can fly LSAs, and planes that exceed the LSA limitations, up to other limitations.

I'm not sure if you want to get (or have) your Sport Pilot's license, or want to get (or have) at least a private pilot's license. Maybe you can tell us where you are in the process.

Hi Jesse,

Welcome aboard. There are some argumentative souls on this board; don't feed them, and don't let them scare you away, and you'll be fine.

I thought those were requirement for starting any internet forum LOL

Actually started working on my pilot's license back in 2001. The events of 9/11 put a pause on that. so after that it was sort of like starting back over again. Shortly after that my career took the other places and provided me with plenty of money to learn to fly but not enough time. fast forward to today. I live in West Texas and I probably will for quite some time. A my primary interest is to just be able to go out, and go flying for lack of a better term. So I think at least for the moment the LSA certification path is what suits me best.
I join the local EAA chapter but has some cfi's oh, some folks that own lsa's, some folks that have built their own, and some generally nice and welcoming people. Tell her I'm looking forward to this next step. And thanks for the warm welcome

Hi Jessie,
This learning is a marathon not a sprint. The are 2 types of LSAs. The first is a factory built LSA which is referred to as an S-LSA. The second is a homebuilt or factory assist LSA which os referred to as an E- LSA. The E is experimental.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each. I will quickly cover the highlights and this is by no means an exhaustive or authoritative list.

S-LSA
Pros- can be rented or used in a non-equity based club.
Cons- cannot make changes to the aircraft without a Letter of Agreement (LOA)from the manufacturer. That is sometimes impossible depending on the manufacturer.

E-LSA
Pros. You can work on the plane youself. You can modify it without the elusive LOA.

Cons
Cannot be used for rental or non-equity based clubs.

I wont get into how it impacts the value becuase there is some nuances that is model specific. Again, thos is very high level but a start to explain acronyms you will see in you journey to become an LSA expert.

Welcome to the monkey house!

Like Stan, I converted an SLSA to ELSA. It’s a great way to go if you’re mechanically inclined and don’t wish to rent the plane out or give flight instruction in it. And like Stan, I took the 16 hour course and can do my own Annual Condition Inspections.

For a rundown on the options available, I recommend Mike Huffman’s website https://www.sportaviationspecialties.com/.

Cons- cannot make changes to the aircraft without a Letter of Agreement (LOA)from the manufacturer. That is sometimes impossible depending on the manufacturer.

For me, that was a huge PITA. Strictly, one cannot even substitute an equivalent part without an LOA, such as tires, the battery and the like. Going EXPERIMENTAL eliminates such restrictions.

For me, that was a huge PITA. Strictly, one cannot even substitute an equivalent part without an LOA, such as tires, the battery and the like. Going EXPERIMENTAL eliminates such restrictions.
x2
Totally concur.
I plan on attending the 16 hour course very soon.

I'm new here, and to the idea of SLA (or flying, by and large).
Hoping to get a lot of insight from others, and I promise to look things up before I ask a question that there are already 100 posts on. ;)

Jesse

Welcome to the forum!

Back