Slick Mags

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
In my never-ending quest to get my plane perfect, it's mag time. I have Slicks, but the problem is there's nothing in my logbooks about how old they are, or when they were last serviced or installed. I thought it'd be a good idea to go ahead and do this considering I have no clue the history on these. What does one do with Slick mags? IRAN? OH? Just replace with new? I was going to get this taken care of at annual this winter, but wasn't sure if I should buy a spare set ahead of time or what happens.

Can't make suggestions without knowing the total time and age. One of the things that really bugs me is the lack of information in some logbooks. For a device that is legally mandated to be kept in compliance with airworthiness standards, it's a crime to neglect the record-keeping. In Canada it is, anyway.

If they were the original mags there would be no installation log book entry. Mine are original from 1964 and are removed lubricated and IRANd every 500 hours. Great mags, no serious problems except one bad condenser.

In my never-ending quest to get my plane perfect, it's mag time. I have Slicks, but the problem is there's nothing in my logbooks about how old they are, or when they were last serviced or installed. I thought it'd be a good idea to go ahead and do this considering I have no clue the history on these. What does one do with Slick mags? IRAN? OH? Just replace with new? I was going to get this taken care of at annual this winter, but wasn't sure if I should buy a spare set ahead of time or what happens.

The last factory reman I bought using Cessna's engine specs included Slicks. Was your engine a reman?

One of the things that really bugs me is the lack of information in some logbooks.
Unfortunately, until mags or other similar accessories get their own identity instead of being an obscure sub-component it's more a lack of requirement than a lack of information. So unless some on-condition work is performed on these accessories there is no additional record required. Or worse, the work is signed-off in the engine log which is subsequently sent off when the engine is replaced and the aforementioned accessories remain with the aircraft for install on the new engine.

If they were the original mags there would be no installation log book entry. Mine are original from 1964 and are removed lubricated and IRANd every 500 hours. Great mags, no serious problems except one bad condenser.
Not many engines from 1964 flying around anymore, though I did work on one from 1966. These days one should be receiving, from the overhauler, a list of components and their serial numbers when they get the engine. Crankshaft serial numbers are often recorded now. This stuff makes AD checks a lot easier, not to mention maintenance tracking.

Like so:

Engine log220191125.jpg

What model number is your mags? You might be able to get a 500hr done locally for a relatively reasonable price.

Re-went through my logbooks with a fine-toothed comb. The ONLY reference to mags is in 2017, 250 hours ago where they were "C/w 500 hr inspection on both mags. disassembled & inspected, cleaned & reassembled, s/n's 8110301 & 8110308. Reinstalled and timed to engine. Grd run satusfactory"

So I guess they're okay? No inspections before or after. They seem fine, the right one is a haaair rougher than the left.

So I guess they're okay? No inspections before or after.
FYI: The 500 is only a recommendation which many owners don't follow. As the owner, it's your call if they're "okay." Regardless, have seen 100hr TSI mags fail equally as much as 1000 TSI mags fail. So it depends...

disassembled & inspected, cleaned & reassembled
From the description you cannot tell if any of the internal components were replaced such as contactor, felt strip, carbon brush, nylon gear, oil seal, etc.
Therefore you don't yet have an age on the wear items.
Maybe they did change things that needed it but did not record it; or maybe they were all in good shape.
It is so easy to open up and have a look yourself that I would start there.
If things are pristine, try to get some more time out of them, schedule the next inspection.
If not, then get them IRAN'd - I had great service from the Missoula outfit noted above.
Then YOU (or your P) record in the logs what you did, for the next person.

it's a crime to neglect the record-keeping. In Canada it is, anyway.

Here too.
Can't put a tool to an airplane unless you record it, and it applies to everyone not just A+Ps:
§43.9, §43.11
Also
§91.407, §91.417

Well, he could be the 'next person' to be searching for the history of these appliances. Or his mechanic. Next person meaning the next to be looking at this in the logs.
You must think it means 'Next owner'?

There will be no next person. :)

That'll make quite a tombstone ornament decades from now. :eek:

Re-went through my logbooks with a fine-toothed comb. The ONLY reference to mags is in 2017, 250 hours ago where they were "C/w 500 hr inspection on both mags. disassembled & inspected, cleaned & reassembled, s/n's 8110301 & 8110308. Reinstalled and timed to engine. Grd run satusfactory"

So I guess they're okay? No inspections before or after. They seem fine, the right one is a haaair rougher than the left.

If they are running fine and there's only 250 hrs since last inspection I wouldn't mess with them. When they eventually do need fixin' I second what some others have said about sending them to Aircraft Mag in Missoula.

Here’s the definitive guide for Slick rebuilt, overhaul, IRAN: https://www.qaa.com/slick-magnetos

Just got a rebuilt Slick from QAA. It looks and runs like new.

Get an electronic ignition to replace one mag, and then put a Bendix on the other one. Set the Slicks on fire. ;)

If they are running fine and there's only 250 hrs since last inspection I wouldn't mess with them. When they eventually do need fixin' I second what some others have said about sending them to Aircraft Mag in Missoula.

there have been a couple of Slick service bulletins since then. One for distributor contact and one for impulse coupler stop lug. Should look to see if they’re applicable in this case. Need to know model# and serial#.

Get an electronic ignition to replace one mag, and then put a Bendix on the other one. Set the Slicks on fire. ;)

Slightly less radical: Pull one and put on the SureFly, have the pulled one reman'd, and put it on a shelf as a ready replacement for the other Slick when needed.

When my factory new engine reached about 550 hours, I bought and installed new pair of Slick mags. The old ones went to Aircraft Magneto Service for the 500 hour inspection. For about $900 I now have ready spares in the hangar.

If you want to reset the clock
On your watch? Get them overhauled. They'll be as good as new for less money.
An overhaul will mean replacing the distributor and maybe the bearings. By the time one does that, and adds the labor, new Slicks might be in order. Slick parts tend to be expensive.

And from his serial numbers, they're old, so the coils might be cracking, too. 1981, it looks like.

Well, when I'm 75, the plane will be 100. I figure at that point it's probably going to a museum after they take it out of my cold, dead hands.

I have maintaining my original Slicks from 1964 very cheaply. Not a mechanic (but, even better, I am a farm boy) but get a signoff.

I have maintaining my original Slicks from 1964 very cheaply. Not a mechanic (but, even better, I am a farm boy) but get a signoff.
How does one rebuild a slick? I have a slick that needs to be rebuilt and the service kit, but it needs to be timed correct? And timing requires special tools correct?

On my original Slicks one times by putting a nail into a timing hole and sets the points to just open. Get a Slick manual for more info.

Well, when I'm 75, the plane will be 100. I figure at that point it's probably going to a museum after they take it out of my cold, dead hands.

It's a Cessna 180.
By then it will be on it's second reskin, third paint job, fourth avionics and autopilot upgrade, and a PPonk Version 3 (diesel?) engine install. And the owner will be on PoA claiming "There will be no next person". :D

How does one rebuild a slick? I have a slick that needs to be rebuilt and the service kit, but it needs to be timed correct? And timing requires special tools correct?

On my original Slicks one times by putting a nail into a timing hole and sets the points to just open. Get a Slick manual for more info.

I think he's talking about the internal timing, not how we time them on the engine.

Last edited:
The F-1100 Slick manual isn't cheap. And this doesn't help:

§43.13 Performance rules (general).
(a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator,

To set the internal timing you need a small tool made for that purpose.

And it's not owner-maintenance stuff unless it's on a homebuilt.

The F-1100 Slick manual isn't cheap. And this doesn't help:

§43.13 Performance rules (general).
(a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator,

To set the internal timing you need a small tool made for that purpose.

And it's not owner-maintenance stuff unless it's on a homebuilt.

Magneto internals are one of those things even a homebuilder probably won't do often enough on their own plane to become and stay proficient. I am finding as all the grizzled old experienced veteran piston engine mechanics retire (like you have :() it's getting really difficult to find mechanics competent to do this anymore. The last time I tried I ended up with someone that just wasted my money. That's when I started sending my magnetos to Aircraft Mag in Missoula, and so far that's proved the right decision (for me).

The nail in the mag shaft hole IS for internal timing.

Any maintenance can be done my anybody with A&P supervision. Not an A&P but I have built a wing spar, recovered a wing, painted my C -210, majored an engine twice, rebuilt my hydraulic system and many top overhauls. All did just fine.

it's getting really difficult to find mechanics competent to do this anymore.
In my experience is not so much competency but lack of requirement/knowledge. Most mechanics I know the last time they timed a mag was during their practical exam. More owners seem to run the mags till there is an issue then simply R&R. I was fortunate and was taught how to mechanic from the inside out and on several older aircraft timing a mag became second nature.

Last edited:
Back