Who flies REAL VFR?

I do - I have never flown a non-VASI approach.

If I'm in the right seat and someone in a 172 VFR is on the VASI I'm like WTF? to myself.

The pucker factor goes up in the daytime if the VASI lights aren't very bright. Much easier at night, day VFR requires bigger balls.

Sure we do; if it's too bad to go ifr, we go vfr

"Special VFR". ;)

Back in the day in Alaska we would joke with the newbies, ''If the weather is good we fly VFR. If the weather is bad we fly IFR. If the weather is really bad we go PVFR. That is we pretend it is VFR and go anyway...."

Ok, sometimes that wasn't a joke.....

When I started it was vfr with one vor, that would get dialed up if I felt lost, so not too often. Ded reckoning is great to talk about, but no thanks give me a gps with a moving map any day.

Back in the day in Alaska we would joke with the newbies, ''If the weather is good we fly VFR. If the weather is bad we fly IFR. If the weather is really bad we go PVFR. That is we pretend it is VFR and go anyway...."

Ok, sometimes that wasn't a joke.....

Welcome to my world of flying in BC Canada.

Can you ask to go Special VFR in Alaska if its below VFR minimums? Many days before I had an IFR rating, my home airport would tell me it was below VFR, so I would just tell them I would go on Special VFR. They give their short speech about the risks, and asked me to acknowledge that I understood these risks, so it was on their voice recordings, and away i went. Fly around really low until I could see a small hole in the clouds, and then climb on top if I could. When I was 18, 19, 20, I didn't really know any better and was a risk taker. I slowly got better with the passing years, and then I was married and had kids, suddenly I chopped my risk taking by about 98%.

Can you ask to go Special VFR in Alaska if its below VFR minimums?

Oh yes. But only in controlled airspace. There are Class E airports in Alaska.

Class G airports just go. (hopefully everyone is on the same radio frequency)

-------------------------------------------------------

Alaskan Region Aviation Fun Fact Sheet

Alaska’s 586,412 square miles of land and 2,427,971 square miles of airspace are served by:

3 Flight Standards district offices, 8 FAA control towers and 5 military towers

2 certificate management offices, 2 terminal radar approach control facilities

1 aircraft certification office, 1 air route traffic control center

146 full time aviation weather reporting stations, 17 Flight Service Stations (1.58M activities)

227 aviation weather camera sites (over 2M hits), 1 commercial space port

Airports:

Alaska has 400 public use airports, 282 land-based, 4 heliports (only public use listed), 114 seaplane bases, and approximately 747 recorded landing areas (private, public, and military) total. Of course pilots land on many of the thousands of lakes and gravel bars across the state where no constructed facility exists.

Air Commerce

The number of enplanements (4.8 million) in Alaska is 6.5 times the state population compared to 2.4 times the U.S. population for all states. There are 306 certified air carriers in Alaska providing scheduled and on-demand services.

Seaplanes:

Lake Hood in Anchorage is the world's largest and busiest seaplane base and the only seaplane base with primary airport status in the U.S. In 2015 it accommodated an average of 197 daily takeoffs and landings with nearly 600 on peak summer days. There were approximately 72,000 operations in
2014, when combined with the Lake Hood gravel strip. Alaska has the most seaplane bases in the country – 114

Air Traffic Control Tower Operations in (fiscal year) 2015:

Ted Stevens – Anchorage: 290,802

Fairbanks: 123,531

Merrill Field: 123,538

Juneau: 112,515

Bethel: 98,341

Lake Hood: 72,033

Kenai: 46,458

Kodiak: 45,715

King Salmon: 26,660

7831862_orig.jpg

This one is east of Gallup, NM.

http://www.cibolahistory.org/airway-heritage-museum.html

This looks like an interesting museum. Will have to stop there the next time I am going that way. Thanks for posting.

I would never leave my house without my bodyguard and at least one press agent and a hair stylist, at least I wouldn't if I was Kim K. Some of you folks must live in parts of the country where the weather is the equivalent of being inside of a coal mine, are at least paranoid about just going flying without all your gadgets. I don't have those gadgets, not really sure how to work them if I did, but I sure enjoy flying around here on a day like this, blue sky, white snow, and not a cloud in sight. And I enjoy much of the scenery on the way to Osh every year.

Last edited:
I would never leave my house without my bodyguard and at least one press agent and a hair stylist, at least I wouldn't if I was Kim K. Some of you folks must live in parts of the country were the weather is the equivalent of being inside of a coal mine, are at least paranoid about just going flying without all your gadgets. I don't have those gadgets, not really sure how to work them if I did, but I sure enjoy flying around here on a day like this, blue sky, white snow, and not a cloud in sight. And I enjoy much of the scenery on the way to Osh every year.

And 98% of the posts in this thread are written to be funny, or are sarcasm.

A little ways to the side of the subject, but a cop show on tv says Alaska has the highest per capita rate of violent crime in the U S. Assuming it is so, why? Does the cold even harsh weather and some very harsh surroundings put people in a hostile mood?

A little ways to the side of the subject, but a cop show on tv says Alaska has the highest per capita rate of violent crime in the U S. Assuming it is so, why? Does the cold even harsh weather and some very harsh surroundings put people in a hostile mood?

Alcohol and natives. Plus they need to sell a Tv show.

The town I live in is reportedly has the highest violent crime in New Mexico. Take away the indian on indian violence and it is the lowest crime rate in the state. We see a lot of shovel to the head type injuries and usually within the family unit.

A crime spree here is when a slower group of golfers, doesn't let a faster group play thru. ;)

Back