Second Class Medical

Boomer7200

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boomer7200
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how much a second class medical costs. I can't find anything online.

Thank you!

The last time I paid for one (a few years ago) it was $120. There is no set fee, it depends on the AME providing the exam...

The actual exam really isn't any more work for the AME than the 3rd class. That said, highly variable costs, mine this year was about $200.

$110 from my AME Dentist. Considering my SAA burden, I’m getting a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the AME. You can call each doctor and see what they charge. I live in Long Island and my first class without an EKG is $160.

I'm not clear of what a 2nd class medical is for. I know you need a 3rd class medical to get a commercial licence which is required to be a CFI, etc. You need a 1st class to be an ATP to fly for the airlines, corporate pilot, etc. What is a 2nd class needed for? Thanks -

I'm not clear of what a 2nd class medical is for. I know you need a 3rd class medical to get a commercial licence which is required to be a CFI, etc. You need a 1st class to be an ATP to fly for the airlines, corporate pilot, etc. What is a 2nd class needed for? Thanks -
For actually flying under commercial pilot rules, of course. Hauling freight, sightseeing flights, etc.

You need it to exercise commercial pilot privileges. Banner towing, sight seeing tours, etc.

$110 from my AME Dentist. Considering my SAA burden, I’m getting a bargain.

AME Dentist? - I guess he knows the drill...I used to have a 2nd class medical, now I have no class. :)

So, you can get a commercial to be a CFI with a 3rd class medical, but to use the commercial licence besides CFI you need a 2nd. OK - not really clear, but whatever. Thanks -

AME Dentist? - I guess he knows the drill...I used to have a 2nd class medical, now I have no class. :)

WTH I’m an idiot I meant to type Ophthalmologist (MD)!!

[insert Eino and Toivo jokes here]

$40 at Dr. Grffin in Roanoke, TX.

Back