New Phone Scam,

Bill Greenwood

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Greenwood
Ijust got a recorded phone call that is a scam that I had not heard before. A nice female voice, says, warning your social security card is going to be canceled within 3 days due to some illegal activity in Texas.. or press 3 for our agent to help you .
Of course I haven't been using my ss card in Texas, and don't think ss phones you.

Got that one, I think. They left a voicemail te link me to call them or something horrible would happen to my Social Security Account. Deleted before I listened to the BS spiel.

Cheers

How do you "use" or "cancel" a social security CARD? I've never used mine for anything. Maybe I'll try to purchase a case of Scotch with it later... hmmmm...

Ijust got a recorded phone call that is a scam that I had not heard before. A nice female voice, says, warning your social security card is going to be canceled within 3 days due to some illegal activity in Texas.. or press 3 for our agent to help you .
Of course I haven't been using my ss card in Texas, and don't think ss phones you.
I’ve gotten that 1 numerous times over the last few months

How do you "use" or "cancel" a social security CARD? I've never used mine for anything. Maybe I'll try to purchase a case of Scotch with it later... hmmmm...
Sorry, I can’t pay for lunch. This terrible restaurant claims they don’t take Diner’s Club, Blockbuster, OR Social Security cards!

Both my wife and I (separately) have had to show our original Social Security Card to secure employment. It proves (I guess) that you are socially secure, and therefore a good risk to hire.

-Skip

My son got that call this week. I got the one saying they were on the way to turn the power off at my business due to non-payment ... I asked them to call when they were behind the building and I'd help them shut it off:confused::eek::D

His "manager" got on and cussed me out saying they'd just find some "other" sucker ...

It's been around a while. I got one of those (Indian accent) last year.

More and more of the scam calls we get (well, got) were robocalls with computer generated text-to-speech. I guess they started figuring out half the people couldn't even understand a word from the noisy Bangalore call centers, and the other half hung up immediately once they herd the accent.

I say "got" rather than "get" because most of those calls now either get a "number disconnected" message from us or go straight to voicemail, thanks to Ooma and Nomorobo. The ones that get through, we simply don't answer. 99% are easy to spot -- numbers from places we have never heard of, or where we know perfectly well no one would be calling us for any good reason. Basically, if we don't recognize the number or aren't expecting a call, we don't answer. After all of this, my wife will answer 2-3 spam calls a week... I don't, because I simply don't care if someone accidentally gets dumped to voicemail.

I'd much prefer to just drop our house number altogether, but for some reason I just don't get my wife still thinks we "need" it. Not that her cell phone doesn't ring a few times a day with the same calls...

It has to be 20+ years since I've seen my SS card. Pretty close to the most useless and easily forged form of "ID" in existence.

Both my wife and I (separately) have had to show our original Social Security Card to secure employment.
As I recall, a passport was an acceptable alternative for my place of work. I think some agencies take a W-2 with a visible SSN, too.

It has to be 20+ years since I've seen my SS card. Pretty close to the most useless and easily forged form of "ID" in existence.

I couldn't forge MY OWN SS card. I signed it back when I was, like, 11 years old, when I used to care about my handwriting. I would have ZERO chance of convincing anyone that what is on that card is my signature.

IOS 13 allows silencing of all calls not in your contacts, occasionally they leave a message, but otherwise I miss out on all this BS.

Tom

They're hoping someone with dementia answers the phone, and I'm betting enough senile oldsters fall for their scam to make it worthwhile.

They're hoping someone with dementia answers the phone, and I'm betting enough senile oldsters fall for their scam to make it worthwhile.

Remember, *don't* hang up on them. Act stupid, act scared, keep them jabbering. The longer they stay on the phone with you, the more of their time you're wasting. People cussing them out and hanging up don't affect them, but making leading them to believe they have a "hot one" on the line costs them money.

Ron Wanttaja

I try not to be racist, but I have never had a scam call without that particular accent. There are other impoverished nations that can speak English... where are those scammers at in my insufferable phone scam repertoire?

People cussing them out and hanging up don't affect them, but making leading them to believe they have a "hot one" on the line costs them money.

My time is more valuable than theirs. Unless you are bored and consider stringing them along a hobby, then sure waste their time.

I try not to be racist, but I have never had a scam call without that particular accent. There are other impoverished nations that can speak English... where are those scammers at in my insufferable phone scam repertoire?
It’s not racist to observe that a particular country is a hotbed of scam call centers and a haven for thieves and scum. Several other than India come immediately to mind, along with a couple of US states as well (yes, Florida, I’m looking at you).

I get lots of scam calls with NYC area codes in chinese.

Somehow AT&T is slowly figuring out how to operate their system and is starting to label calls as 'Fraud Risk', ,'Spam Risk', 'Political Poll' and 'Telemarketer'. Now they just need to come up with a way for me to select that those calls don't even get switched to my device.

Last edited:
Remember, *don't* hang up on them. Act stupid, act scared, keep them jabbering. The longer they stay on the phone with you, the more of their time you're wasting. People cussing them out and hanging up don't affect them, but making leading them to believe they have a "hot one" on the line costs them money

Ron Wanttaja

I suggest you check-out the Tom Mabe video on you-tube dealing with telephone solicitations. Hysterical.

Last edited:
Remember, *don't* hang up on them. Act stupid, act scared, keep them jabbering. The longer they stay on the phone with you, the more of their time you're wasting. People cussing them out and hanging up don't affect them, but making leading them to believe they have a "hot one" on the line costs them money.

Ron Wanttaja

I do it as a hobby when bored.

When they called once for a car warranty i asked if they would cover a Yoder, she says a Toyota? I said “no a Yoder, a buggy built by Ezeria Yoder, its in bad shape he builds bad buggies, Im Amish and dont own a phone so how did you get ahold of me?”

Years ago i had a wine buzz and a security system salesman called, i took it a challenge to see how long i could keep him on the phone, i think it was around an hour! I rambled on and on about everything. My cheating wife, my dog that humps legs, what a night!

When they called once for a car warranty i asked if they would cover a Yoder, she says a Toyota? I said “no a Yoder, a buggy built by Ezeria Yoder, its in bad shape he builds bad buggies, Im Amish and dont own a phone so how did you get ahold of me?”
The car warranty scam people always hang up on me when I tell them what I have. I've tried everything with no luck, so I don't really know what kind of cars they are hoping to pretend to cover. Not a 1936 Duesenberg or a 2014 Lamborghini, at any rate.

They typically don't want to cover 2007 Mercedes V12 sedans, either. Can't figure out why.

Earlier today I had a scam call, I asked her to hang on a while, since I was at work and didn't require my cellphone, I just set my phone down, and went about my business.
When i checked it again 15 minutes or so later, she was gone.

I shreded my SS card long ago. No reason to have it around; my son did the same for his kids.

Been getting the scam car warranty calls on my cell, into my voice mail. But other than my white list, I don't answer my cell or landline anyway.

My SS card has, ''NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION" printed on it.

So does mine but the BMV said I needed it to identify me to get my TSA Compliant license. Since I didn’t have it any more, I used my passport.

In an Endless loop, to get your drivers license if you don’t have a Passport, you need a SS Card but to get your SS Card you need a drivers license. Expired versions of anything don’t count.

Cheers

From now on, I'd like to be refered to as "32xAE2390Hgg3" ... at least, that's what I think the SKU bar code says on my ankle...

I shreded my SS card long ago. No reason to have it around; my son did the same for his kids.

Been getting the scam car warranty calls on my cell, into my voice mail. But other than my white list, I don't answer my cell or landline anyway.
I don’t remember seeing my card since I was a kid! We are applying for a Florida drivers license and they require SS card along with passports and local mail. They will take W-2’s, but my wife doesn’t work, so we have to get her a new card, I’ll get one too! Keep in mind, we both have “secured” GA licenses! :rolleyes:

Hoax Hotel and Kitboga have some interesting Scam Baiting videos. And Jim Browning provides some deeper insight into what’s happening behind the curtain.

My area gets a lot from south America demanding money be sent for:

1. Your child has been kidnapped
2. A call to the grandparent stating bail money needed and that they are the PD
Above used for both a car accident with injuries and drug possession

Info. is based on Facebook friending links ... to track back to a grandparent

How do you "use" or "cancel" a social security CARD?
Just tell the agent on the phone to cancel the current one for security reasons and mail you a new one.
"Don't mail it to my house, it will be safer if you mail it to the precinct. Just make sure you put Detective before my name, there's another guy at the precinct with a similar name and they get our names confused all the time but he doesn't work in Organized Crime Division, he's just a beat cop".
Let's see if you can finish that long sentence before they hang up on you. I don't think you'll be getting any more calls. You're welcome. :)

I would NEVER talk about any account or anything personal if I didn’t initiate the call. That covers just about all these scam calls. The IRS never starts with a call. I only answer these unknown calls for entertainment purpose.

These days stupid spammy marketers spoof your local area code. So when I get one of those, I always ask hey what's your phone number? What do you mean they say. You know, you're a business right, what's your phone number? They usually hang up about then.

Back