Mustang Mach E

Meh... IMO the Model 3 isn't great-looking in pictures, but in person it's pretty darn sharp. Even the front end.
I think it looks god awful. But that doesn't stop me from seeing them lined up in all the parking lots near me. I have never once heard that the 3 is a good looking car. The S on the other hand was aesthetically superior. Now that's an opinion but when the S came out I heard many comment how great that car looked.

It’s not about looks it’s a elitist virtue status symbol, now that the Prius has been around long enough that the maid has one, with enough used pirus out there that they can been seen being driven by teens, it’s just not posh, thus the tesla, nothing says I’m still richer and “greener” than the poors like a tesla.
My point exactly. You just reaffirmed it. The tesla is the perfect car to sell to the air pod and iPhone bozos that dont care to be individuals. Status symbols that show the world you can do what everyone else is doing and you dont have to use thought. The Mach E fits the narrative better than a 2 door EV unfortunately.

Meh... IMO the Model 3 isn't great-looking in pictures, but in person it's pretty darn sharp. Even the front end.
Bleh. I thought it looked OK in pictures, but once I saw one on the road, it's pretty porky looking. Not very flattering lines at all.

My point exactly. You just reaffirmed it. The tesla is the perfect car to sell to the air pod and iPhone bozos that dont care to be individuals. Status symbols that show the world you can do what everyone else is doing and you dont have to use thought.

Or perhaps people just like the Tesla. Or the Cirrus. Or the earbuds, or phone, or whatever else. Why buy something you don't want just to assert individuality?

Or perhaps people just like the Tesla. Or the Cirrus. Or the earbuds, or phone, or whatever else. Why buy something you don't want just to assert individuality?
Well they like it for sure. But only because Lebron or Kylie or Kim or Kourtney tell them they should. Just like they will like the Mach E the first time a Kardashian is seen in one. That's the whole point I'm trying to make. Sure the Mach E is ugly and doesn't fit what true car enthusiasts had dreamed of from Ford but they must make things that can be sold by product placement on Bravo TV. It's not bad it just is what it is..

What about the Lamborghini Urus?

axxlkxf.jpg

The Prius was never "posh", and there's plenty of people who drive Teslas for non-environmentalist reasons. Nobody ever drove a Prius because it was fun...

Kidding me? I actually sold them back in the day, it was a huuuuge fad, we actually had a few that we had done up in leather as I guess the production cattle industry was cool while showing off how woke you are to the environment

The EV thing is sooo far from practical and is sooo a first world vehicle, honestly the only place I could see it making sense would be a retirement country club when find you need more than the golf cart, but it would be a hard pitch at like 10x the price of a golf cart.

Or maybe a rich person in a big city, drives like 10mi to and from his condo, pulls into his undercover parking at his 7 figure condo and has the help plug it in.

Kidding me? I actually sold them back in the day, it was a huuuuge fad, we actually had a few that we had done up in leather as I guess the production cattle industry was cool while showing off how woke you are to the environment

The EV thing is sooo far from practical and is sooo a first world vehicle, honestly the only place I could see it making sense would be a retirement country club when find you need more than the golf cart, but it would be a hard pitch at like 10x the price of a golf cart.

Or maybe a rich person in a big city, drives like 10mi to and from his condo, pulls into his undercover parking at his 7 figure condo and has the help plug it in.
I suppose China is a first world country. I just returned from two weeks working there. A number of delivery trucks were EV. About 1/3 of the cars were EV. Practically everything on two wheels that wasn't human-powered was an EV.

Electric Mustang? Good Lord, next thing you know rock stars will stop touring until they figure out how to make concerts environmentally beneficial. Because that sort of Ying is what drives that particular Yang. :idea:

I think it looks god awful. But that doesn't stop me from seeing them lined up in all the parking lots near me. I have never once heard that the 3 is a good looking car. The S on the other hand was aesthetically superior. Now that's an opinion but when the S came out I heard many comment how great that car looked.

The only problem with the original S was the plastic nose cone, which designer Franz von Holzhausen later said he regretted. They were trying too hard to look "normal" by having that there as kind of a fake grille. IMO, the S with the updated front end is Tesla's sharpest looking car. At least for the next hour... (Pickup reveal is tonight).

What about the Lamborghini Urus?

axxlkxf.jpg

Now THAT is UGLY. Reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek in a way, which IMO is the ugliest car ever produced. :vomit:

The EV thing is sooo far from practical

:rolleyes: Yeah, it's so much more practical to have to go to the gas station and stand outside in the cold dumping smelly dead dinosaurs into the tank, and to go to the dealer every couple months and have them change the oil and check all the moving bits. GMAB.

:rolleyes: Yeah, it's so much more practical to have to go to the gas station and stand outside in the cold dumping smelly dead dinosaurs into the tank, and to go to the dealer every couple months and have them change the oil and check all the moving bits. GMAB.
Right. Much better to have a car that you just pray never, ever needs anything fixed, because the closest dealer is a four hour flatbed ride away, and no one else on the planet can work on it, nor will the manufacturer allow you to buy parts or fix anything on it yourself. That's way better.

The only problem with the original S was the plastic nose cone, which designer Franz von Holzhausen later said he regretted. They were trying too hard to look "normal" by having that there as kind of a fake grille. IMO, the S with the updated front end is Tesla's sharpest looking car. At least for the next hour... (Pickup reveal is tonight).

Now THAT is UGLY. Reminds me of the Pontiac Aztek in a way, which IMO is the ugliest car ever produced. :vomit:

3 minutes later the car has a full tank and can go another 1000 kms. Yes, a real hardship for sure :rolleyes:

1. First and foremost, the Maverick was a good-looking car.
Now that's out of the way....

2. At the time, I thought the early to mid-70s Mustangs were good-looking cars. Still do.

3. I owned an 87 Mustang and thought it was cool at the time. Now I think it's probably the least-attractive of the lot.

4. I really like the retro Mustang, Camaro, Challenger.

5. Certainly my favorite Mustang...
upload_2019-11-22_8-41-18.png

1. First and foremost, the Maverick was a good-looking car.
Now that's out of the way....

2. At the time, I thought the early to mid-70s Mustangs were good-looking cars. Still do.

3. I owned an 87 Mustang and thought it was cool at the time. Now I think it's probably the least-attractive of the lot.

4. I really like the retro Mustang, Camaro, Challenger.

5. Certainly my favorite Mustang...
View attachment 79993

1. No it wasn’t, don’t lie! It’s not like the mid-70’s to mid80’s were a good period for any most all auto makers, so being hideous is not unique to the Maverick.

2. The 69-70 were the prime years for the vintage mustangs. The got a bit uglier in the 71-73 models, and by ‘74 it was an abomination. Fox body was an improvement, but the hatchback wasn’t as good as the standard notch. ‘94-98 kind of got better in some ways, but the ‘05-present they went retro and found the better design cues again, even on the latest Fusion-esque models.

3. Nothing wrong with a Fox on the hot rod standpoint, cheap speed, light weight, cheap to make it go faster.

4. Yup, retro Challenger starting to get a little long in the tooth, though. I think they’d better be working on a modernized version as they’ve ridden the current model as far as it should go. Camaro is going out of production again, so that retro era is out. Ford already changed it up in 2015, but it’s still a tiny bit 70’s era Mach 1 inspired.

5. Nothing wrong with that!

3 minutes later the car has a full tank and can go another 1000 kms. Yes, a real hardship for sure :rolleyes:

I don't expect anyone can understand until they've actually had an EV. Once you have, and you get used to the idea of leaving your house with a full "tank" every single day, the idea of having to travel somewhere or stop along the way on a regular basis and stand outside next to your car to "recharge" it, even for only 5 minutes, seems downright primitive... Because it is.

Today, plug-in hybrids are the best of both worlds, provided they have sufficient range to cover your normal daily driving using electricity. My commute recently became much longer (75 miles/day) so my Volt no longer handles it. But given the choice between one fuel or the other to make the commute, I'd choose full-electric over going back to a gasser any day of the week. I'm really hoping my employer gets the charging station they promised me installed soon so I can go back to doing most/all of my driving electrically and not have to gas up so dang much during the winter.

I don't expect anyone can understand until they've actually had an EV. Once you have, and you get used to the idea of leaving your house with a full "tank" every single day, the idea of having to travel somewhere or stop along the way on a regular basis and stand outside next to your car to "recharge" it, even for only 5 minutes, seems downright primitive... Because it is.

Today, plug-in hybrids are the best of both worlds, provided they have sufficient range to cover your normal daily driving using electricity. My commute recently became much longer (75 miles/day) so my Volt no longer handles it. But given the choice between one fuel or the other to make the commute, I'd choose full-electric over going back to a gasser any day of the week. I'm really hoping my employer gets the charging station they promised me installed soon so I can go back to doing most/all of my driving electrically and not have to gas up so dang much during the winter.

This was posted at 442.

COINCIDENCE!?!?!?!?

I owned a hybrid, gave it to my daughter, she still has it. It's okay, but I don't understand all the fuss over how great they are. My girlfriend's mother has a straight electric car, not hybrid, driven it and didn't like it. My sister owns a hybrid, as does her sister in law, they say they would just buy a gas only vehicle if doing it over. To each their own I guess.

Last edited:
I owned a hybrid, gave it to my daughter, she still has it. It's okay, but I don't understand all the fuss over how great they are. My girlfriend's mother has a straight electric car, not hybrid, driven it and didn't like it. My sister owns a hybrid, as does her sister in law, they say they would just buy a gas only vehicle if doing it over. To each their own I guess.

Curious, why did you not like the EV? and which EV?

Tim

What are/were they? There's a vast difference in the quality of the various vehicles. Teslas are top notch. Some others are more in the mediocre-to-crap range. Remember, the OEMs don't really want to sell them, they're being made to by California for the most part. I really liked my Fusion Energi, not a fan of my parents' Prius, and my Volt is merely tolerable, though it has good electric range.

Anyone see that Musk demo of the electric truck's "unbreakable" glass? Oops! And talk about fugly. Love the social media comment about Musk "finally bringing to market the truck I drew as a 5 year old." :)

So let me get this straight, recharging an EV while hanging out with hipsters for 45 minutes is acceptable, sophisticated, and refined. But spending 3 to 5 minutes throwing gas in a car is primitive? What have you been smoking?

What are/were they? There's a vast difference in the quality of the various vehicles. Teslas are top notch. Some others are more in the mediocre-to-crap range. Remember, the OEMs don't really want to sell them, they're being made to by California for the most part. I really liked my Fusion Energi, not a fan of my parents' Prius, and my Volt is merely tolerable, though it has good electric range.

Mine was a BMW X5 hybrid, now my daughter's, I had to text my sister to ask what her sister in law drives, she has a Tesla, not a hybrid like I thought she drove, as does my Girlfriends mother, my sister drives a Toyota rav4 hybrid.
Driven Tesla's a few times, they are just a car, nothing great, but I can't just whip into a gas station for a quick fill whenever I want to, and it would be terrible to own, because if it breaks down it would be on a tow truck 7 hours to the nearest service center. When I bought my X5 I drove many of them, liked it the most of the ones I test drove, so I bought it to give it a try. While I don't hate it, sure nothing special about it either. My daughter would much rather drive my car than her X5. I can see a time coming in say 25 years or so when they may build better batteries, have figured out all the rest of the stuff, like how to charge them from 5% to 100% in 5 minutes, solved other glitches, and beefed up the power grid to handle the extra load, when they become truly viable vehicles...for now they are a niche market vehicle, basically using consumers to do the R&D for them. At least I live where we have cheap electricity and lots of it, from hydro dams, not burning coal to produce electricity, to power a car.

So let me get this straight, recharging an EV while hanging out with hipsters for 45 minutes is acceptable, sophisticated, and refined. But spending 3 to 5 minutes throwing gas in a car is primitive? What have you been smoking?

Its quality time with their friends, sharing hair car tips for their man buns, while they sip a $6 coffee with 3 squirts of something in it.

Well, you only have to hang out with hipsters a couple times a year for that occasional long distance (>300 miles) road trip whereas the gas thing is every single week or two.

And before you say it, if you are driving >300miles/day then regardless of the car you should be flying instead.

If it's a straight line trip yeah. But when I have to stop and see 6 customers on a 400 mile circuitous route (which aren't near enough to airports, I don't have time to go out of my way to find some charging station and sit for 45 minutes.

If it's a straight line trip yeah. But when I have to stop and see 6 customers on a 400 mile circuitous route (which aren't near enough to airports, I don't have time to go out of my way to find some charging station and sit for 45 minutes.

Strap a large generator to the roof, let it run while you drive ;)

Screenshot_20191122-212750_Chrome.jpg

Well, you only have to hang out with hipsters a couple times a year for that occasional long distance (>300 miles) road trip whereas the gas thing is every single week or two.

And before you say it, if you are driving >300miles/day then regardless of the car you should be flying instead.

If Apple were to come out tomorrow saying their phones now come with a battery that lasts a week or two, but thereafter you have to go to your local 7/11 to recharge it for 5 minutes, we'd all think they lost it and it would become the most shorted stock in history.

But somehow when a car follows the same model, it's held up as the pinnacle of convenience.

If Apple were to come out tomorrow saying their phones now come with a battery that lasts a week or two, but thereafter you have to go to your local 7/11 to recharge it for 5 minutes, we'd all think they lost it and it would become the most shorted stock in history.

But somehow when a car follows the same model, it's held up as the pinnacle of convenience.

LOL. If I could make my iPhone charge last a week or two I probably wouldn't mind.

It would certainly make camping for a week at Oshkosh a lot more convenient.

Back