End of an era - Trade-A-Plane

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
"Our last print issue will be the Third December Issue of 2019. As of January 1, 2020, we will no longer be printing Trade-A-Plane. You will receive a full refund for any unmailed issues as of that date. We will continue to offer our popular online marketplace, Trade-A-Plane.com, recently expanded to include eCommerce."

*snif*

I like printed copy in hand.

For me, unless you're actively looking for an airplane, the value is in scanning the adverts. Easier to do in print than online, IMO.
I enjoy reading through TAP and their website needs a serious update if they are going strictly online!

*snif*

I like printed copy in hand.

For me, unless you're actively looking for an airplane, the value is in scanning the adverts. Easier to do in print than online, IMO.

Totally agree, my thought exactly, though I do understand TAP's choice as a business decision

It was inevitable. I remember for years when at Oshkosh or Sun N Fun, walking by the TAP booth they'd hand me the latest copy and I'd gladly take it. The last few years, though, nah, nevermind, but thank you. I don't want to carry that thing around the rest of the day when I likely won't ever really look at it. Easier to browse a magazine than online? Absolutely. Flip through and dream? Yes. But not if you're actually searching for something specific and are going to make a purchase.

Print is dying, from newspapers to magazines. The problem with print is all the material and logistic costs, plus by the time something is printed and delivered its old news. It can't compete with the real time information provided by the internet.

Good riddance
I could never read that small print anyway without glasses and I could never find it when I was looking at TAP

I'll miss the print edition, but I'll still be using the online edition which offers a lot more details and photos on planes of interest than the print version ever did.

When you're stuck on the couch in an FBO waiting for the weather to clear, the "yellow pages" and some nasty coffee from a styrofoam cup is just the ticket.

You forgot the stale Snickers bar from the ancient vending machine part...

Waxing nostalgic...

It was The Whole Earth Catalog’s section on Flying that first stimulated my urge to fly in the early 1970’s.

The two publications I latched onto from it were Stick and Rudder and Trade-a-Plane. Just dug out my old copy, a bit yellowed and dog eared after 50 years or so and viola!

49093638142_9a0f8cbe75_z.jpg

Sad to see yet another icon pass, at least in its traditional format, but I suppose it was inevitable.

So will it still have an online version? Wow, only had a subscription for 30 years.. My wife can't believe it, she has found good deals on things to maintain our Sport over the years...:(

Well the Juneau Empire our local "Capital City" newspaper has stopped printing a Monday paper. I guess paper is on it's way out and online versions are taking the place of paper copies.

Personally I like the paper newspaper, paper trade books, paper manuals, just my opinion.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram stopped printing a Saturday edition last week. The Dallas Morning News combined five sections into four and reduced overall coverage by 50% last year. I subscribe to the DMN and Wall Street Journal, but will probably drop the DMN next year. It's crazy expensive, almost $400/year.

What is my machine shop going to do. For the last 20 years, every machined part i got from them was wrapped in old issues of TAP. I assume being next store to Van Nuys (KVNY) they must get the old issues from an FBO to use a packing paper. They may have to switch to old Korean newspapers like my polisher uses!

What is my machine shop going to do. For the last 20 years, every machined part i got from them was wrapped in old issues of TAP. I assume being next store to Van Nuys (KVNY) they must get the old issues from an FBO to use a packing paper. They may have to switch to old Korean newspapers like my polisher uses!

May have to use Sporty's catalog pages from now on.

YELLOW JOURNALISM IS DEAD!

Oh, wait.

No...

TAP was the last factual ink on newsprint periodical left... And it was printed on yellow paper...

Ironic, isn't it?

I'll miss it... But have gotten along digitally for quite some time now...

I will miss it.

A great bathroom read and I actually found some suppliers and products in the business sections, which I never would have been exposed to online.

I have many books, and subscribe or periodically buy about twenty different magazine titles. I like paper; I refuse to take an iDevice into the can ...

Back