Oil filter adapter kit for Grumman AA5 (Traveler)

Hank

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hankster2
Curious if there's anyone out there has any experience with swapping the oil screen for an oil filter adapter on the (1975) Grumman AA5 (O-320 E2G).

Basically my question is around clearances, and with the plane not nearby I was wondering if anyone had installed the "11:00 vertical" style filter adapter (I'm looking at the B&C BC700-1). Mostly I'm curious if there's enough vertical clearance and if a spacer block is generally required. It looks like with the low profile (CH-48108) filter it'll still be 1-3/4" above the top of the engine which from my recollection would be pretty close to the hatch, but as a new owner I could be way off.

There's plenty of room between the engine and firewall so I'm certain the horizontal-style Lycoming LW-13743 would work, but I'd rather not spend the extra 1/3 of an aviation unit if I don't have to.

Both the B&C and the Casper Labs adapters will work using the 108 filter.
Only thing that can be dodgy is routing of the existing oil cooler lines but I've never had a problem on either the Traveler or the Tigger (or the AA1 for that matter...).

Hope this helps.
Chris

Thanks, Chris. This is extremely helpful. It's a bit of a trek to where I'm currently keeping my plane and I wanted to have a viable part in-hand the next time I headed out there.

Last edited:
Back