Question for A&Ps

PilotMedic865

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotMedic865
So guys, here’s the back story. Currently an aircraft mechanic as a civilian for the Air Force. Was a hydraulics guy in the army and the reenlisted into the Air Force Reserve as a crew chief before getting this job. I love it, and I’m not required to have A&P to do it. All my tools are furnished, as well as any clothing or PPE I might need. The federal benefits are great, and are very affordable. Starting pay is WG-10 for the military guys with a max out of around $ 37. I work with great guys and generally plan on retiring with my federal pension. The question is, other than just having it, is there any benefit to me buying my own tools and getting my A&P? I can test for the A, still need a bit more power plant experience for the P. Is the pay and benefits at the airlines worth it? What about smaller shops? By the time I invested in tools, went to school for my power plant and invested the time, I’m out a lot, if I can stay where I am with no added benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You currently max out at a similar number that our regional does. Your not getting the flight benefits. The value in those is quite different to different people.

There are certainly more lucrative A&P jobs out there.

I have less that $2k in my usa made tools, school at community college was nearly free with grants available. Small beans in the big picture.

The question is, other than just having it, is there any benefit...
FYI: If you can get the A&P certificate while you still work at your current job, get it. Period. You are in the ideal scenario. And as a side note, non-aviation companies put a more a premium on a person who has an A&P than aviation-based companies do. So you're not bound to have to stay in aviation with your A&P.

FYI: If you can get the A&P certificate while you still work at your current job, get it. Period. You are in the ideal scenario. And as a side note, non-aviation companies put a more a premium on a person who has an A&P than aviation-based companies do. So you're not bound to have to stay in aviation with your A&P.

This is true. My sister has an A&P, and she hasn't worked on airplanes in years. But, having it has opened a lot of doors for her.

Back