Mustang Mach E

It’s great that there is another EV player in the market, but oh boy, did Ford not have access to a wind tunnel when they designed this? How is it so inefficient?
Motors.

Tesla has proprietary, very advanced, highly efficient electric motors.

Motors.

Tesla’s patents are open source to all other EV manufacturers. If Ford really doesn’t know how to build motors it can just copy Tesla.

It’s not like the Mach E traded efficiency for performance either - the car is significantly slower than the Model 3 in both the base v. base and GT vs Performance models.

Was hoping for 300mi range at $40k pricing. Oh well.

That’s exactly what I was hoping for. Originally it was going to be $44K for the base model. Now that’s over $50K and the long range is $58K. Heck, I could get a C8 Corvette for a little more $$$. :)

Still liking the Kia Niro EV. Currently driving a Mustang Convertible. The Niro is 16" shorter and 4" narrower, which will give us more room in our tiny garage. Plus it would carry more than two people; our youngest is 5' 3" tall and a slim athletic build and says she can't imagine anyone bigger than she is could fit in the back of the Mustang, and that's with my wife pulling her seat forward. Plus the luggage space on the Mustang is quite small with an even smaller opening. The Mustang is fun, especially with the manual transmission, but highly impractical.

Just my wife and I now; youngest is a senior in college. If we go far we fly; private or commercial. Our longest drive is to visit our youngest (3+ hours / 230 miles) and she'll be moving farther away (i.e. flying distance) after graduation. To visit our middle daughter we fly. The oldest lives in town, so just a local drive.

I'm not swapping yet, so I'm still watching to see what else may come out. I'm still enjoying the convertible and figure this may be my last car with a manual transmission (even without cars moving to electric).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Ford needed a way to differentiate itself from its competition in this emerging EV market. What's the one aspirational marque that they have that consistently generates excitement for their brand? It's not the Edge, or the Explorer.

It's the Mustang. (The F-150 might be aspirational for some, but most folks won't describe it as "exciting".)

At the end of the day, it will be interesting to see whether this gamble results in the Mustang brand giving this EV a cachet boost to make it competitive, or whether anchoring this EV to the Mustang brand drags the brand down and does more damage than benefit to Ford overall.

Sometimes gambles pay off big, and sometimes you lose your shirt, but either way it turns out for them, I don't think there was a "safe" path for Ford to take going into this market. I don't blame them for trying this approach to make a splash. If nothing else, people will be talking about it (witness this thread), and I'm sure they knew that when they made their choice.

Here's a little more about how they ended up taking this tack: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/eight-things-we-learned-about-new-ford-mustang-mach-e#8

I don’t have an issue with an electric Mustang - in fact I think it’s a great idea. But why make it look like some sort of crossover soccer-Mom thingy? If you’re gonna call it a Mustang, make it look like a Mustang.

I will not be trading in my current Mustang, on one of those, that is for sure.

I will not be trading in my current Mustang, on one of those, that is for sure.
I dunno... the GT model will handily kick the ass of all but a small handful of piston-powered Mustangs of any era. :)

I dunno... the GT model will handily kick the ass of all but a small handful of piston-powered Mustangs of any era. :)

I don't need more power, I just enjoy the V8 rumble, and stick shift of my Bullitt.

Been thinking about buying Ford stock recently. $9 a share is tempting. It can only go up from here...right?

Not as bad as the '74 - '78 Mustang did.

And the 79-93 (the worst IMO), and to a lesser extent the 94-04. Mustangs were pretty blah for 30 years if you ask me. Now, they look pretty cool again.

Finally, you can get it serviced at your local Ford dealer.

I wouldn't count on it. At least do a dealer search on their site and turn the "EV Certified" filter on before you count on that.

Also, dealers tend to send a very small subset of their techs - usually for Ford, the two they require - to get EV certified. And since it's a side thing for them, they still often don't know what's going on and are constantly calling the factory, throwing parts at it, etc...

Count another one in the Pro column for Tesla. All their stuff is electric, so their techs actually know their stuff. Better yet, they come to you, and you can arrange for them to come to you via the mobile app. Easy peasy.

I don't think that's going to be any impediment whatsoever. For all the cross country drive stunts Musk has done, starting with the original Roadster, how many Tesla owners actually take their car outside the urban region they live in? The surveys show an overwhelming percentage own one or more ICE vehicles in addition to their Tesla, and tend to use those for excursions away from their resident city.

I dunno which surveys you've been looking at, but there's an awful lot of all-Tesla households now, and plenty which have both that will take the Tesla on road trips too. Autopilot and charging, vs. gassing up and driving the entire time? Not a tough choice unless you're in an astronaut-wearing-diapers hurry.

The big thing is, even if you NEVER use the Supercharger network, it allows you to buy the car without worrying about whether you'll be able to take a road trip or not.

Motors.

Yes, but... Even Ford's motors from the original Fusion Energi (2013 model year) were nearly 90% efficient. You're not going to see a huge difference there. Aerodynamics is by far the biggest factor in EV range, and the Model 3 is the most efficient car ever, coming in at 141 MPGe (for the "short range plus" version, slightly worse for the longer range ones due to extra battery weight).

As an aside, the Tesla pickup reveal is scheduled for Thursday.

Yup, that's the one I'm looking forward to, as lack of cargo capacity is the reason I haven't considered an EV up to this point.

Eh, I think they could have done without using the Mustang namesake. However, the Mustang Mach III prototype/Ford Probe existed as a replacement to the Mustang at one point, too. Glad those never happened. I'd think if they'd just named it the Mach-E it would have been fine and generated buzz because it would be a totally new model designation (as opposed to Edge-E/Escape-E, etc). It's not half-bad looking, and may inspire more people to make the switch since it's coming from one of the oldest car companies in the US. People still fear Tesla's staying power, financially. Ford will be of similar quality to the Model 3/Model Y, so I'd expect them to sell plenty especially once people get behind the wheel and get that acceleration with Tesla drivers have been enjoying for a few years.

If you’re gonna call it a Mustang, make it look like a Mustang.

Chevy Blazer.

Good looking...
5bcfbf5ec98b8_chevrolet_k5_blazer_153997667866913c3e8dec47ad07Blazer-1.jpg

Square body, still looks good and still usable.
maxresdefault.jpg

To this...
2002-Chevrolet-Blazer-SUV_Image-05-1024.jpg

Now what is this.??
2019-Chevrolet-Blazer-RS-19.jpg

I digress....

Thoughts?
Pro's
-nice to see another EV on the market

-looks decently attractive, although I am seeing far too much "Tesla" here

-the name recognition of it will help it sell.. if this had another cringeworthy electricity-pun name like "Lightning" I don't think it would garnish as much interest, but you put Ford and Mustang together you could pretty much sell anything. Remember the Hummer cologne and boom box and other stuff. Names sell (for better or worse)

-overall like it and hope to see many on the road!

Con's
-even though I just said that the name "Mustang" will help it sell and market, I personally HATE that they are diluting and tarnishing the name so much.. it's almost like they don't trust the product enough itself to sell on its own merits so they have to attach known name recognition to it... even though there is ZERO "Mustang" to this car. This is honestly the equivalent of BAC-Aerospatiale (okay, Airbus) launching a new subsonic efficient small carbon turboprop airliner but calling it something ridiculous like "The Concorde-Mach-E" and including a Concorde emblem on it and maybe a small delta wing shape winglet somewhere as "throwbacks"

-why does the front of every American car look like a children's toy or like something out of the movie Cars? They took the Tesla grill and made it childish.. I really hate these faux-happy-goofy smiles that just about every Ford and Chevy (non truck) has.. and the trucks are no better, the grills they put on the trucks are the equivalent of the roid-rage "bro" who spends 6 hrs each day at the gym and brags about how much ***** he gets even though he can't actually maintain a stable relationship more than 3 weeks and his circle of friends consists entirely of Jager Bombs and partying
--mind you, foreign brands are no better.. Lexus looks like a xenomorph coming at you, and BMW's newest kidney grills are getting bigger and bigger. It's honestly only Jeep, Audi, and Kia:eek: that still have decent looking fronts on cars anymore. But I understand this is also personal choice

They're strongly tarnishing the mustang name
Yup, totally agree. But it's the name that sells. Put the name "Star Wars" onto something and you can basically sell 20X as much of it for a higher price

Ugh, so sad what happened to this show. I'd much rather see Clarkson / Hammond / May review this. Just like the name "Mustang" BBC should have let the name "Top Gear" retire.. keep the rights to it if they want so Clarkson can't use it.. but this show is NOT Top Gear. It's okay, and gets better with each season, but it doesn't have the same chemistry the old trio had (mind you, Grand Tour is not great either, but this last season with the Mongolia drive was very good). Whenever I feel nostalgic I open a mid 2000's Top Gear episode to watch

I don’t have an issue with an electric Mustang - in fact I think it’s a great idea. But why make it look like some sort of crossover soccer-Mom thingy? If you’re gonna call it a Mustang, make it look like a Mustang.
Because they actually want to sell some of these things. When ford announced they were going to cease production of their passenger cars in favor of crossovers and SUVs it was telling in the direction they are going. It needs 4 doors to sell enough to be competitive. As others have said, calling it a mustang will actually improve the chances of success for Ford in the new electric game.

It’s ugly, it only goes 300mi than I have to sit around and wait for it to charge, hard pass.

Also a 4 door? So it’s for people who have more a need to breed, than a need for speed eh?

It’s ugly, it only goes 300mi than I have to sit around and wait for it to charge, hard pass.

Also a 4 door? So it’s for people who have more a need to breed, than a need for speed eh?
With the way the tesla model 3 sells being so ugly it's pretty apparent that aesthetics no longer matter in vehicle design or sales.

I would have liked another 50-75 miles of range, but I think for MOST people that's more than adequate. How many times do most people drive even 150 miles each day? I don't. Granted I probably drive 40-50 miles each day, but I bet that's possibly above the national average. I could make 90% of my annual driving with that range, assuming that I am charging every 3-4 days at home, maybe even 5 days depending on outside temps and its impact on driving range. I have said it several times in other EV threads, but the American 2-car household will probably consist of one EV and one ICE vehicle in order to cover any travel that is needed. I'd rather have an EV like the Model S/Ford Mach-E/etc. for daily driving and a large truck/SUV for my heavy-hauling/towing and long range trips. I know Ford is coming out with an EV F-150 and Rivian/Tesla have their versions, but I would never justify the INSANE prices those are bound to fetch in order to try an supplant an ICE version at half the cost. Truck prices are already borderline unsustainable in my opinion, much less having a $70K+ EV half ton become the norm.

I would have liked another 50-75 miles of range, but I think for MOST people that's more than adequate. How many times do most people drive even 150 miles each day? I don't. Granted I probably drive 40-50 miles each day, but I bet that's possibly above the national average. I could make 90% of my annual driving with that range, assuming that I am charging every 3-4 days at home, maybe even 5 days depending on outside temps and its impact on driving range. I have said it several times in other EV threads, but the American 2-car household will probably consist of one EV and one ICE vehicle in order to cover any travel that is needed. I'd rather have an EV like the Model S/Ford Mach-E/etc. for daily driving and a large truck/SUV for my heavy-hauling/towing and long range trips. I know Ford is coming out with an EV F-150 and Rivian/Tesla have their versions, but I would never justify the INSANE prices those are bound to fetch in order to try an supplant an ICE version at half the cost. Truck prices are already borderline unsustainable in my opinion, much less having a $70K+ EV half ton become the norm.

For us it might be two small cross-over EVs and no ICE in the future. We're empty nesters, or darn close; youngest is a senior in college and has an excellent job lined up for post-graduation. Driving to visit her in college is our longest drive anymore, and that's ~230 miles. Anything longer and we fly, private or commercial.

For other needs, rent. Getting an ICE car, minivan or truck is much easier than renting a bigger plane. At some point the truck will require a different license, but at that point I hire professionals. No 10 hours in make-and-model needed, or complex endorsement, just your drivers license.

We visited her several weeks ago and my parents went with us. Then her two sisters decided to go too; family weekend at her college and the oldest sister hadn't seen the campus until then. Well, none of our cars hold six for the drive, nor seven once there. My wife talked about driving two cars over, which I thought was nuts. So, I checked and the prices to rent a minivan were good. That made it much better as we all rode over together and then there was room for all seven when going out for dinner and such.

When I need a truck, pick-up or box, I rent one from U-Haul. $20/day plus mileage makes if very affordable for my limited need of a truck.

Get what you need for that 90+% and then rent the rest.

For us it might be two small cross-over EVs and no ICE in the future. We're empty nesters, or darn close; youngest is a senior in college and has an excellent job lined up for post-graduation. Driving to visit her in college is our longest drive anymore, and that's ~230 miles. Anything longer and we fly, private or commercial.

For other needs, rent. Getting an ICE car, minivan or truck is much easier than renting a bigger plane. At some point the truck will require a different license, but at that point I hire professionals. No 10 hours in make-and-model needed, or complex endorsement, just your drivers license.

We visited her several weeks ago and my parents went with us. Then her two sisters decided to go too; family weekend at her college and the oldest sister hadn't seen the campus until then. Well, none of our cars hold six for the drive, nor seven once there. My wife talked about driving two cars over, which I thought was nuts. So, I checked and the prices to rent a minivan were good. That made it much better as we all rode over together and then there was room for all seven when going out for dinner and such.

When I need a truck, pick-up or box, I rent one from U-Haul. $20/day plus mileage makes if very affordable for my limited need of a truck.

Get what you need for that 90+% and then rent the rest.

Agreed. The issued I'd personally run into, is that I often haul or tow on short notice, and usually tow at least once a month in the Fall/Winter months, several times per month in the Spring/Summer seasons. I'd be renting a bunch, and I'd imagine rental trucks could get pretty slim on supply if most boaters decided to rent on the major boating weekends. So, going to 2 EVs will work for some, but I'd imagine the "one of each" method will work for many households similar to mine who have the need for an ICE due to not having an economically-suitable EV substitute for the full-size truck/SUV market yet.

With the way the tesla model 3 sells being so ugly it's pretty apparent that aesthetics no longer matter in vehicle design or sales.

Meh... IMO the Model 3 isn't great-looking in pictures, but in person it's pretty darn sharp. Even the front end.

It’s not about looks it’s a elitist virtue status symbol, now that the Prius has been around long enough that the maid has one, with enough used pirus out there that they can been seen being driven by teens, it’s just not posh, thus the tesla, nothing says I’m still richer and “greener” than the poors like a tesla.

It’s not about looks it’s a elitist virtue status symbol, now that the Prius has been around long enough that the maid has one, with enough used pirus out there that they can been seen being driven by teens, it’s just not posh, thus the tesla, nothing says I’m still richer and “greener” than the poors like a tesla.

The Prius was never "posh", and there's plenty of people who drive Teslas for non-environmentalist reasons. Nobody ever drove a Prius because it was fun...

The Prius was never "posh", and there's plenty of people who drive Teslas for non-environmentalist reasons. Nobody ever drove a Prius because it was fun...
Gonna disagree with you there. I actually enjoy driving my Prius more than any previous car I've owned...

And personally, I think the new Ford Model E would kinda ring and remind folks of the Model T and have a lot more going for it.

Back