student pilot looking to buy C150

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
Hey folks, just joined this forum. :)
About to checkride next week or so(DPE is super busy).
I have my heart set on 150/152; found a potential buy three states over. Has less then 5000 TT but probably need overhaul(2000smoh), full-logs and no corrosion ... they want 15K

Question: how do I find a neutral AP locally for pre-buy inspection?

150s are about as simple as it gets, without having to worry about internally corroded chrome-moly tubes or old fabric. ;) If it runs, go fly it. The only guarantee with airplanes is that it will be an adventure! Buy it, and be sure to join the club @ www.cessna150152.com for all the info you’ll ever need.

I have my heart set on 150/152; found a potential buy three states over. Has less then 5000 TT but probably need overhaul(2000smoh), full-logs and no corrosion ... they want 15K

If you haven’t looked at it, how do you know it has no corrosion? Call an FBO in the area who has not worked on the plane and ask for a prebuy.

If you haven’t looked at it, how do you know it has no corrosion? Call an FBO in the area who has not worked on the plane and ask for a prebuy.
You’re right, I don’t know .. other then taking seller’s word. Hence, looking for AP for prebuy. How do you look for FBO? Call the airport? This all new to me. o_O

You’re right, I don’t know .. other then taking seller’s word. Hence, looking for AP for prebuy. How do you look for FBO? Call the airport? This all new to me. o_O

City boys will tell you to “call the FBO.” ;) I’m telling you to join that website I mentioned. Trust me. You will very likely get someone from that club who will volunteer to go look at the airplane for you, and ferry it home for you if you can’t make the flight. Best airplane type club on the planet. Shoot- someone in the 150/152 club might even know that exact airplane, or even be the seller.

I second what Lachlan said about joining the 150 club at www.cessna150152.com.I just bought a C150H in June and joined the club before the ink dried on my bill of sale! Btw, the Cessna 150 is the perfect just flying around airplane.

"Three states over" means something completely different depending on whether you're in New England or the midwest. But grab one of the school planes, get your instructor to sign you off for a cross country, and look at it, and the logs. If you like it, find a mechanic through the type club for a prebuy. A C-150 for $15K with a runout engine could be a very good deal... or it could not.

If I had a do-over, I'd buy a runout 150D, do the Lowe conversion, and restore the whole thing.

City boys will tell you to “call the FBO.” ;) I’m telling you to join that website I mentioned. Trust me. You will very likely get someone from that club who will volunteer to go look at the airplane for you, and ferry it home for you if you can’t make the flight. Best airplane type club on the planet. Shoot- someone in the 150/152 club might even know that exact airplane, or even be the seller.

Maybe he’ll get the owners buddy to help him out.

@GeorgeC - Lowe Conversion? Is that to 160hp?

is everyone assuming $15k isn’t meaningful to the original poster? First time I’ve seen everyone say no pre buy.

To the OP, where are you? Do you have a hangar or tie down? Normally folks would recommend you get the A&P who will maintain your plane to come with and do a pre-buy. If you’re talking IL to Wyoming - that might not be practical. Maine to upstate NY might be. 3 states is either a ride or a haul!!!

Sounds fun. Good luck.

ETA: if not obvious - Clip4s post above is sarcasm. You want someone independent of the seller to help you review the logs etc.

is everyone assuming $15k isn’t meaningful to the original poster? First time I’ve seen everyone say no pre buy.

To the OP, where are you? Do you have a hangar or tie down? Normally folks would recommend you get the A&P who will maintain your plane to come with and do a pre-buy. If you’re talking IL to Wyoming - that might not be practical. Maine to upstate NY might be. 3 states is either a ride or a haul!!!

Sounds fun. Good luck.

ETA: if not obvious - Clip4s post above is sarcasm. You want someone independent of the seller to help you review the logs etc.
Lowe conversion is to tailwheel and bad advice.

Sounds fun. Good luck.

I think there comes a point, with the cheaper planes like the C150, where prebuys are bad economy. A prebuy for this plane, "3 states over" might cost %20 of the plane.

BTW, I've bought 2 planes, a C150 and a PA38, without an official prebuy, but just looked them over myself. The PA38 I bought when I just got my PPL / I had about 50 hours, and really didn't know what I was looking at. Guess I got lucky with that one. But then again, there's not a lot to go wrong on a simple plane like that either. I flew the heck out of both of them.

I think there comes a point, with the cheaper planes like the C150, where prebuys are bad economy. A prebuy for this plane, "3 states over" might cost %20 of the plane.

BTW, I've bought 2 planes, a C150 and a PA38, without an official prebuy, but just looked them over myself. The PA38 I bought when I just got my PPL / I had about 50 hours, and really didn't know what I was looking at. Guess I got lucky with that one. But then again, there's not a lot to go wrong on a simple plane like that either. I flew the heck out of both of them.

WW, I see you point, but in this situation you have a non pilot buying a plane. He knows nothing about aircraft condition, logbooks, registrations, ect. Even if he got a knowledgeable CFI to help him out would be a plus.

so far no one has weighed in on paying $15k for a 150 with a run out engine. If this plane needs a prop, some exhaust repair ect, the plane is over priced.

A prebuy inspection in this case has positive and negatives. It is a REALLY good idea to have the aircraft inspected, especially if you aren't mechanically inclined and not certain what to look for. That said, airworthiness is in the eye of the beholder. I had an A&P look over my 150 and told me it had $7K in deficiencies. It had just gone through its annual.

I would narrow my search a bit and try and find one closer to home. Cessna made a lot of these things, and there are lots still flying. One more stipulation. Are you certain a 150 really meets your needs? They are glacially slow, with no back seat the most you'll every carry is one passenger, and they'd better be on the diminutive side. All that said, it is doubtful you'll find a more parsimonious ownership solution than the 150. And if all you want to do is go fly around the patch they are wonderful little aircraft.

And I agree, with a runout engine this aircraft is overpriced.

Lowe conversion is to tailwheel and bad advice.

Blissful, ain’t it? All that ignorance, I mean. ;)

I’d love a Lowe conversion to get the taller 140 gear! The Texas Taildraggers are too flat sitting on the wheels, no prop clearance.

Blissful, ain’t it? All that ignorance, I mean. ;)

I’d love a Lowe conversion to get the taller 140 gear! The Texas Taildraggers are too flat sitting on the wheels, no prop clearance.

Yes, you would love a Lowe conversion, but you don’t have one. Got it.

Yes, you would love a Lowe conversion, but you don’t have one. Got it.

I’m sure I would enjoy having lots of things I don’t have. For example, I’d really like a PoA where the world’s most amazing instructor (who just happens to instruct at the most prestigious, yet secret, school) didn’t have to constantly remind us how unimaginative and inexperienced he is by overcompensating in argumentation. That, I would like, but alas, I don’t have. Got it? ;)

I’m sure I would enjoy having lots of things I don’t have. For example, I’d really like a PoA where the world’s most amazing instructor (who just happens to instruct at the most prestigious, yet secret, school) didn’t have to constantly remind us how unimaginative and inexperienced he is by overcompensating in argumentation. That, I would like, but alas, I don’t have. Got it? ;)

Conversions are costly and you recommend one to a guy who has never owned an airplane because you dream of having this conversion. Get the conversion and quite giving bad advice.

Conversions are costly and you recommend one to a guy who has never owned an airplane because you dream of having this conversion. Get the conversion and quite giving bad advice.

I didn’t realize I had recommended anything to the OP other than buying an airplane and joining the 150/152 type club. Not sure why you’ve got such a giant chip on your shoulder, because you’re probably a really cool guy in person. We’d probably have a great time talking airplanes and hanging out.

edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Just another POV. If you've got a lot of cash burning a hole in your pocket, sure - why not.

But you might want to rent for a while, try different planes out, settle into what kind of flying you'll actually be doing. Then pick your plane.

Great advice, folks!
To answer few questions; I’m in CA and 150 at Dallas area. After putting 76hrs so far, I’m sure 150 (High-wing) fits my mission. I hope to bush-fly one day. The seller is currently flying plane. I tinker with bikes, music instruments, RC planes and guns for fun (does that qualify me to do inspection?) :D

How much does a 150 engine overhaul cost? An annual? (it’s due this month)

Last edited:
In my area, overhauls are can be done for about 18k, but realize that it isn't required to overhaul an engine based on engine hours alone. The cost of annuals is determined mostly by what needs to be fixed. That said, I've had annuals between $700-$1200. You can sometimes save by helping with the annual if you like to to tinker. Even if you don't save, it's a great learning exercise.

The engine has 2000 hours. That means that it could need an overhaul right now, or it could be good for another 1000 hours. You need someone to inspect it, borescope, compression, etc. If it is due for an annual, pay for an oil change and send an oil sample off for analysis to see if the engine is making metal.
Watch at 1.5 playback speed.

Go look at it yourself.. You should be able to tell if its a nice plane or a hunk of junk!
It isn't Rocket Science.
Umm, no. That’s not good advice. He is not going to have the knowledge of what to look for on his own. A proper pre-buy inspection needs to be done or else he’ll be setting himself up for potential headache down the road.

I am in the process of finalizing a sale of a 150 that I have owned for several years. Careful, that $15,000 airplane could turn into a $30,000 airplane soon after you buy it with a engine with that many hours on it. You should be able to find a decent 150 with a mid time engine for under $20,000. You are coming in to the buyers time of year as well. Also, pay less attention to cosmetics, expensive aeronautics and other "cool stuff" and more attention to engine time, annuals, parts that wear out, what has been fixed (especially multiple times), etc. I would look at damage history, but not worry too much if it was relatively minor and all the 337 forms are in place. I would also recommend a pre-buy. If you can find someone from the 150/152 club to do it or help out that would be good as well (They ARE a great club). Just my 2 cents having had one for sale for a few months. They are great planes.

Pete

Personally, I think it's smart to start with a small/basic plane, and in the future if you want 'more plane' move up then. When 18 years old I bought a 172 before beginning my flight lessons, did my PPL in it, and flew all over in it. Honestly wish that I had never sold it. Also if you do buy a 150, think long and hard if you decide to step up in plane one day, I regretted my next plane, and wished I had never bought it.

Folks, I’ve only trained on 172. Will I be capable fly back the 150 myself or do I need train with cfi first? Do they have different flying characteristics?

Folks, I’ve only trained on 172. Will I be capable fly back the 150 myself or do I need train with cfi first? Do they have different flying characteristics?
If you will be a student pilot when you pick the airplane up, than you will have to carry an instructor’s endorsement in your logbook in order to fly the 150 solo. If you have your private certificate by then, you will not need an endorsement.

The 150 does fly slightly different than the 172 but the differences are negligible. It’s quite a bit more responsive in regards to control harmony, but has considerably less power and is more ‘kite-like’. If you can fly a 172, than you can fly a 150.

Not an expert, and have never flown in a 150/152, but from what I understand, they are a lot more responsive than a 172. Also, I think, until you have your check ride, you are only allowed to fly solo in a plane (type and model) that you are signed off for solo in. Thus, you'll need some time in a 150 with a CFI, to get signed off to fly one solo. I'm guessing you should be good to go in a 150 in about an hour of dual.

(I essentially turn a 150 into a single seater when I get into one!)

Great advice, folks!
To answer few questions; I’m in CA and 150 at Dallas area. After putting 76hrs so far, I’m sure 150 (High-wing) fits my mission. I hope to bush-fly one day. The seller is currently flying plane. I tinker with bikes, music instruments, RC planes and guns for fun (does that qualify me to do inspection?) :D

First of all, if you're in CA looking at a 150 in Dallas you're doing it wrong. Second, if you really want to be a bush pilot something with the third wheel in the back might be a better fit to your aspirations, as the gents have been saying. Some 150's and 152's have been converted that way, but there are plenty of high wing taildraggers that would fit the bill for about the same money. If you really like wrenching that much you might even think about a Kitfox or some other experimental taildragger that you can legally work on yourself. I usually don't advocate for an experimental for a first time owner, but given your interests it might be a good fit. No matter what a once over by an A&P is a good idea. A once over by the mechanic who's going to be doing your annuals is better still.

It depends on who does it. A relatable shop will cost way more than you would reasonably want to spend on your 150 unless you plan to keep said 150 for a very long time indeed. An annual from a shade tree mechanic is less expensive, but will still cost enough to get you underwater on the aircraft and will decrease it's value when you go to sell.

Says me start looking at two-seat taildraggers in your area. Lots of airplanes on the West Coast.

Great advice, folks!

Sounds like you're great guy to hang with! But, if you're asking an internet forum for costs on an engine overhaul, I suggest you step back and really spend time into the details. Shop around in your area to find options on overhauling, doing annual inspections, etc. Find out where you're going to park the thing, how much it will cost. Line up insurance. Get a complete list of the things you'll need (does it have ADS-B in it?), how much to install, how much, where / who installs it, etc. Line up your maintenance (who will fix the altimeter when it stops working?). There will ALWAYS be 150's to buy if this is sold before you're ready.

You want a plane you'll have fun owning, not going "Oh crap, where do I park this?".

I never flew* a 150 until *after* I bought mine. It’s even easier to fly than a 172, as impossible as that seems.

*I performed a takeoff in @Pete7AC’s 150 from the right seat once about a year before I bought my 150. :)

With some experience you’ll find that all light airplanes fly similarly. But, until you get some more time and experience with a few more types I would advise against doing a self checkout even if it is legal. Besides, you can pretty much guarantee that your insurance underwriter is going to require an adequate checkout as a condition for being insured.

Regarding the plane and getting it inspected, consulting the type club would likely eat you a mechanic in the area who could look at the plane. However, a Cessna 150 is a very common plane and any mechanic that has been around for any length of time has probably worked on enough of them to be knowledgeable enough to do the job.

For a first airplane I’d suggest finding one closer to home. Pick something within reasonable driving distance so you can go look at it. Cessna 150s are a dime a dozen so you shouldn’t have to go too far. Once you’ve seen a few airplanes and have an idea on asking price vs. condition then you can make a more educated decision on what to offer and what plane to try and buy.

Whether you actually need a prebuilt or not comes down to your comfort level with risk. For a sub $20k airplane deal I probably wouldn’t worry much because I’ve lost more in airplane deals. But if that is a lot of money to spend you’ll want to make sure you have your bases covered and get something you won’t be disappointed in owning.

Umm, no. That’s not good advice. He is not going to have the knowledge of what to look for on his own. A proper pre-buy inspection needs to be done or else he’ll be setting himself up for potential headache down the road.

Everyone is different... I can look at a airplane and logs and tell if it is properly maintained or a pile of junk. Pretty easy on a 150.
You can pay someone to do a prebuy and it may throw all the rods out of the case next week. I guess some people have no mechanical knowledge though???
Those probably don't need to be flying anyway :confused:

Everyone is different... I can look at a airplane and logs and tell if it is properly maintained or a pile of junk. Pretty easy on a 150.
You can pay someone to do a prebuy and it may throw all the rods out of the case next week. I guess some people have no mechanical knowledge though???
Those probably don't need to be flying anyway :confused:
You’re also not a student pilot. It helps to have a bit of experience in the field... :)

First off a Cessna 150 is not that simple of an airplane. Join the type club and ask for a prebuy in the area. If you don’t know what you are doing then you should hire an expert. That said there are “experts” everywhere that still do crummy work. I have two 150’s that I recently bought. I purposely bought project ones as I know how poorly most airplanes are maintained and would rather fix it all my self and know what I have.

here are a few examples of the issues I found on mine that had previously been for sale for 15k before puking it’s engine and me buying it for 5k. This airplane had been kept in annual and maintained by a “reputable” shop. At its last annual the previous owner spent over 8k to have a bunch of work done to include freshening up the bottom end with a tagged case and crank. He lost oil pressure going to Charleston and fire sold it.

Engine:
Improper use of lock washers and lock nuts
Oil fittings only hand tight
Nut left off the case stud down by the main oil galley. Likely caused the low oil pressure.
Mags were way past overhaul time.
Number one piston had a broke ring and piston land. Rest of the ring wasn’t located and no scoring of the cylinder walls or valves leads us to believe it might have broken during assembly.
Fuel line rubbing on exhaust.
Heat shield around muffler totally cracked and not useable.
Busted baffling that should have been replaced.

Airframe:
Elevator trim out of adjustmen. Hadn’t been lubbed in so long that the chain was frozen on the ends and would allow full travel.
Wrong diameter safety wire used on all turnbuckles.
Flap rigging out of adjustment allowing slack in the flap cables when in down position.
Broken control yoke that had been glued and screwed back together and covered in tape.
Remote ELT battery hadn’t been replaced in 10 years.
Several undocumented AD notes
Whee bearings didn’t look like they had been serviced in several years.

I tell you this to warn you that just because an A&P says the plane is airworthy doesn’t mean you will not run into things. Your true budget should be a good bit higher than your shopping price. If it turns out you don’t need things then you are money ahead.

A 150 is not quite as stable as a 172. It will get pushed around in the wind more. Ailerons are similar but the 150 has a lighter elevator.

Back