Becca Steele

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Be.Steele
Hoping to get some advice from someone who knows or someone has been through this process in the past. I recently put getting my pilots license on the back burner, after finding out I’m most likely going to have some serious hold ups with getting my 3rd class medical.

Long story short, my earliest memory as a child was being sexually abused. The abuse occurred over several years... from at least 5 years old until I was around 7 or 8. While this had some effect on my life and as weird as this may sound, I’ve always looked at my abuse as a way to help others deal with theirs... I’m a glass half full kinda girl and see it sorta like “if this didn’t happen to me, I how could I possibly relate or even begin to understand them”. In my mind, I’m not a victim, I’m a warrior.

My second and last child was born nearly 10 years ago and was our first and only girl. Once she was born, I started having flashbacks to my childhood abuse for the first time. I was first diagnosed with postpartum depression which ultimately, led to the diagnosis of PTSD. I was put on an antidepressant to help with the anxiety from the memories and because I felt better than I ever have, in my history of being able to remember, I’ve stayed on the same medication and same dose. I haven’t had a single issue with the PTSD over the past 5+ years.

After looking up my medications on the FAA website and finding that what I’m taking (Cymbalta) will result in me being grounded, I’m considering asking my doctor to switch me to one of the four approved medications. My thought process is that I’ll stay on the approved medication for the 90 days and then have my treating doctor write a letter, being that the medication is a good fit and I’m not having any issues, stating just that to accompany me to have my medical done.

But what about my PTSD diagnosis and history of anxiety? Will that be reason enough for me to be grounded, even if it hasn’t effected me in years (because of the medication)?

And if I end up getting referred to an FAA psychiatrist for approval, how does that work? I wouldn’t think it would be just one appointment, would it? What is that process like and how much is that going to cost me?

Please don’t get me wrong, I completely understand where the FAA is coming from with these guidelines. I guess overall, I’m just extremely frustrated about the likelihood of not being able to follow through with my dream of flying ultimately because I was repeatedly raped as a child.

Before I keep dishing out money for flight school and medical appointments, I would like to know what my odds are obtaining my 3rd class medical, if that makes sense? Thanks in advance for any advice and/or feedback on this matter!

Xo Becca

Becca, sounds like you have your stuff together. You'll get advice here, but you should contact an expert. One who was instrumental in getting the protocol you'll probably need to use is Dr Bruce Chien. He posts here and has a web site that has specific instructions on how to contact him via email. Be upfront about everything with him, he's busy but is a great guy. I hope you realize your dream.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com

I think the good news is that it all appears doable. The unknown is what it may cost in both time and money, and that can only be answered by one of the experts that actually deal in medical certification and can review all of the details of your situation. There's no good reason to further disclose them in public.

In the meantime (and you seem to already know this) do NOT attempt to apply for an FAA issued medical. You at least keep the option open for Light Sport privileges and can even pursue that certificate while the rest of the situation gets ironed out. Good luck, and thanks for sharing your story.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Becca. Taking control of your FAA medical process is a big step towards taking control of the whole situation you had to endure. There are AMEs out there that will be an advocate for you, and that can be a huge help. There are a couple like that that frequent this board. You came to the right place.

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the quick replies and for the contact info! Definitely will be reaching out to some of those you all mentioned!

Thanks again!

And, depending on your goals and financial situation, there are ways to start, solo, and earn your license in "light sport" aircraft (two seats, a little slower, daytime only). Then you can fly those for fun, in such a way that all of your hours count toward your full private pilot rating, while you work through the time or financial hurdles that the medical process may bring.

Becca, have you considered Sport Pilot? You could do that without the FAA medical hoops. Last year the FAA changed the rules to allow all Sport Pilot training to count toward the Private Pilot license. You could get your Sport ticket without the FAA medical hassle, fly all you like as a Sport Pilot, and then later upgrade to the Private ticket. Sport will provide 90% of the training you need for Private, so upgrading the ticket is fairly simple (I did it last summer).

Or you might decide that Sport is all you need. There are lots of light sport aircraft around, though rental options are limited. You'll be limited to daytime VFR flight and no more than one passenger, but you can fly anywhere you like in the US or the Bahamas. The only reason I got my Private is so that my wife can bring along enough luggage. :)

Becca, I have personal experience with Dr. Chien, he helped me through a very difficult situation and I can’t recommend him highly enough.

And there are others here who will I’m sure recommend lbfjrmd just as highly.

Imho, these guys are the experts in their field. My advice is reach out, candidly and completely explain your situation, and IF they tell you it can be done, and you follow their advice to the letter, you CAN do it.

It is great that you researched first. Do not submit for the FAA medical until you talk to an expert (the two recommended here are tops - I’ve personally worked with Dr Bruce on my special issuance and he was excellent. They both are.).

Contact one of them and follow their advice on next steps. Note the “difficult case” AMEs work across geographies. So even if you are somewhere else in the US they can help you.

And, depending on your goals and financial situation, there are ways to start, solo, and earn your license in "light sport" aircraft (two seats, a little slower, daytime only). Then you can fly those for fun, in such a way that all of your hours count toward your full private pilot rating, while you work through the time or financial hurdles that the medical process may bring.
I’m definitely checking into this more... THANK YOU for that info!

Becca, have you considered Sport Pilot? You could do that without the FAA medical hoops. Last year the FAA changed the rules to allow all Sport Pilot training to count toward the Private Pilot license. You could get your Sport ticket without the FAA medical hassle, fly all you like as a Sport Pilot, and then later upgrade to the Private ticket. Sport will provide 90% of the training you need for Private, so upgrading the ticket is fairly simple (I did it last summer).

Or you might decide that Sport is all you need. There are lots of light sport aircraft around, though rental options are limited. You'll be limited to daytime VFR flight and no more than one passenger, but you can fly anywhere you like in the US or the Bahamas. The only reason I got my Private is so that my wife can bring along enough luggage. :)
Bahahahaha! That’s hilarious and your wife sounds like me!!! I’m about to start researching this route not!

Author of the SSRI protocol here. Here's a document for your review. If you've been on Cymbalta for 10 years you will HAVE to
(1) change to one of the FAA "4", for six months, under the care of a board certified psychiatrist, and
(2) Wade through the attached 'checklist'.

I have had very little luck convincing anyone at FAA that a person on 10 years of a med does NOT HAVE a recurrent situation (necessitating the SSRI program) when on ten years. Their thinking: someone thinks it's going to return.

CAUTION: Getting off of Cymbalta is physically VERY difficult to do. You will need the psychiatrist even just for that.
See the attachments!

Dr B.

Attachments

• SSRI.modifications03.12.14.pdf
    255.4 KB · Views: 290
  • SSRI.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 225
  • ssri_initial(certificationAid03.29.17)07.2018.pdf
    58 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
@Becca Steele - is your end goal to enjoy flying as a hobby or are you thinking career? I am not asking to sway you one way or another. However, knowing your longer term goals can help with giving advice (eg Sport Pilot as others have mentioned)

The FAA medical hoops will cost somewhere between $5k-$10k and take about 6-18 months, depending on what the forensic psychiatrist decides.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back