Advise on Shadin Digiflo

Ignacio Allende

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Canalguna
I have a Trimble 2000 gps installed wired to a Shadin Digiflo, both working properly. I am adding a Jpi Edm830 now, and was assuming that I can let go the Digiflo then. Would you recommend keeping it anyway? Is there something that the 830 won't do?

I have no problem with panel space but some weight loss is welcome (both airplane and owner's), though maybe the digiflo indicator weight is too low to be significant.

I don't think the Shadin and the JPI can share a transducer, can they?

Therefore, toss it.

I don't think the Shadin and the JPI can share a transducer, can they?

Therefore, toss it.
My Shadin Digiflo shares a transducer with the JPI 700. I like having both, but it is a little redundant in a device where redundancy is not really necessary. Next panel update I might pull it out and see what I can get for it.

This reminds me of battling K factors trying to match indications with the factory gauges.

I saw this as a challenge and wore out factory service more than once.

Several sources of information are vital to a pilot, especially when things get busy.

I spent the better part of 20 years listening to an older, wiser radar guru named Jeff that preached a great line.

The department of redundancy department.

Fuel flow would be down on my list to duplicate.

I redesigned the instrument panel of my offshore boat to make it easy to scan by eliminating any unnecessary information to sort thru when running a 20' wide, 12' deep, winding channel, at speed.

After I blew the right one by not noticing the bent over heat gauge needle.

With the aging fleet we pride ourselves in maintaining, simplifying both the critical instrumentation we rely on, as well as the aging wiring so often heavily "upgraded", will lighten the load on the aircraft, and the Pilot.

I would remove every unnecessary instrument, wire, antenna, etc...

One airplane I fly occasionally has three fuel flow indicators. The factory analog gauge and two digital gauges put in at different times by different owners.

They all read differently. Which one is correct? Don’t know. Certainly if this was a plane I flew regularly, I could track data and figure it out, but as it is I really don’t know.

It’s like the old saying of having two watches...

If it doesn’t offer any additional capability, I’d pull it out and try to sell it.

If it was only regarding fuel flow indication I'd be clear. Thing is, it is already wired to my working dependable gps. It gives nm/gal, gal to destination, gal reserve and endurance. Not sure if the 830 will give me that info, of fast/clearly enough, hence my doubt in keeping redundancy...

If it was only regarding fuel flow indication I'd be clear. Thing is, it is already wired to my working dependable gps. It gives nm/gal, gal to destination, gal reserve and endurance. Not sure if the 830 will give me that info, of fast/clearly enough, hence my doubt in keeping redundancy...

I do recall Shadin being pretty crafty with the information when tied to a GPS, I'm curious about what you will find with the 830.

I believe the 830 will also provide those fuel/gps parameters.
Does your Shadin replace a required factory fuel flow instrument? If so, I don't think the 830 qualifies as a primary fuel flow replacement, and you would have to keep the Shadin unit. (I'm not 100% certain on this, but it would be a factor worth checking out.)

I believe the 830 will also provide those fuel/gps parameters.
Does your Shadin replace a required factory fuel flow instrument? If so, I don't think the 830 qualifies as a primary fuel flow replacement, and you would have to keep the Shadin unit. (I'm not 100% certain on this, but it would be a factor worth checking out.)

I was wondering if they were able to get around this yet.

Afaik the 830 is only advisory so I'm keeping the analog and shadin fuel flow.
Will let you know how this goes, thanks for your help.

Back