Mustang Mach E

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Just caught the live “reveal”.

Not much “Mustang” in its overall design - more a 4-door SUV EV with a few Mustang design cues.

But with an advertised “goal” of 300 miles EV range, may be enticing in its own right. Maybe not a “Tesla Killer” but at least a “Tesla Alternative”. Kind of a surprise since not long ago Ford seemed to be downplaying it’s electric future.

This from Top Gear:

Thoughts?

They're strongly tarnishing the mustang name. I would be more supportive of it had they left that off.

I thought it was an odd choice on Ford’s part. The “traditional” Mustang is still in play.

What would have been really cool? A carbon-copy 1964 EV Mustang!

Just watched it as well. Like a fat Mustang but attractive. Like the vertical portrait screen vs Model 3 landscape. $50K for base model and $58K for premium? I’d opt for a Model Y instead. Since I’m not a big SUV fan, a Model 3 is an even better option.

Last edited:
Looks very Tesla-like...

Another thought: they could have made it a tad boxier and revived the Bronco nameplate.
Bronco is coming back in 2021 as a contender against the Wrangler. I'm very curious to see what the result will be.

Also Ford is reviving the courier truck, a true small truck since the midsizes have grown so big.

They're strongly tarnishing the mustang name. I would be more supportive of it had they left that off.

Another thought: they could have made it a tad boxier and revived the Bronco nameplate.

Ford is playing to the performance aspect, plus its previously announced corporate focus on SUVs and trucks.
The GT Performance trim model will be smoking fast; 0-60 in just over 3 seconds. The Bronco name doesn't fit that image in any way.

I think Ford as taken a courageous and bold step associating this performance SUV with the Mustang name. And I think it's going to work.

This thing looks like it's directly targeting the Model X, with three big differences. First, there's a wider range of models and options to attract a broader range of buyer income levels (which still qualify for the $7500 Federal subsidy). Second, when you order one you'll probably have it delivered to you when they say it will be. Finally, you can get it serviced at your local Ford dealer.

Mustang? Looks more like a Maverick, if you ask me. o_O

Well, the Maverick took a LOT of styling cues from the Mustang when it was designed in the late 1960s. So much so, some owners pretended it was a Mustang, LOL.

IMG_0553.JPG

But I don't see the resemblance in the Mach E. In particular that back seat looks a lot roomier, taller and easier to access than the Maverick's.

IMG_0552.JPG

Last edited:
Fourth difference: It can't use the Supercharger network.

I don't think that's going to be any impediment whatsoever. For all the cross country drive stunts Musk has done, starting with the original Roadster, how many Tesla owners actually take their car outside the urban region they live in? The surveys show an overwhelming percentage own one or more ICE vehicles in addition to their Tesla, and tend to use those for excursions away from their resident city.

Last edited:
Supercharger is very important to make the care more useful. I cross the Cascades (Seattle to Chelan) in my Tesla model 3 to my vacation house. Could not make the round trip in a day, or have much range left upon arrival, without the supercharger in Cle Elum.

Cold OAT and elevation changes dramatically cut the range of any EV. But a 15 minute supercharger shot half way there gives good range upon arrival, and a 30 minute shot gives enough to get there and back to the supercharger for a final 10 minute shot to get home.

I think Ford as taken a courageous and bold step associating this performance SUV with the Mustang name. And I think it's going to work.

Still seems odd to me, but no doubt Ford had focus groups and whatever to validate their choice.

That said, I certainly hope it works. We’ve squirreled away a fair amount of Ford stock over the years, largely for the yield, which is currently well over 6%, so in spite of ups and downs has not been a bad place to “park” money. Curious as to the announcement’s effect on the stock price, if any - after good news stocks are often often plagued by the “sell on the fact” investor philosophy.

Last edited:
I don't think that's going to be any impediment whatsoever. For all the cross country drive stunts Musk has done, starting with the original Roadster, how many Tesla owners actually take their car outside the urban region they live in? The surveys show an overwhelming percentage own one or more ICE vehicles in addition to their Tesla, and tend to use those for excursions away from their resident city.
No stats to run by, but here on the east coast I see Tesla's all over the place on I-95 with out of state tags.. Though I have a PA24 for trips, I do only own the Model S and occasionally do a 500-600 mile trips with one supercharger stop.. No other manufacturer has this network(yet.)

49084360276_578a85ce26.jpg

No other manufacturer has this network(yet.)

They shouldn't have to. I think in the long run it's a bad idea. I under why Tesla did it, and needed to though.

Wayne

you know, *that* particular mustang II doesn't look so bad. But still the worst looking of all the Mustang body styles.

This new Mustang is the equivalent of Porsche making station wagons.

you know, *that* particular mustang II doesn't look so bad. But still the worst looking of all the Mustang body styles.

At least the Porsche station wagon is not called a 911.

There was the same hand wringing when Porsche debuted the SUV.

The market spoke, Porshe won. Nay sayers lost.
The only question will be if Ford can execute in a way which wows the market.
With an EV, that is actually a lot easier then an ICE.

Tim

porsche-panamera-sport-turismo-rear.jpg

Yeah, I still think those Porsche Wagons look horrawful.

If I’m getting any EV it will be a Tesla hands down. The fact they used Mustang anywhere in the name pretty much ruins this for me.

Was hoping for 300mi range at $40k pricing. Oh well.

That car still looks better than the early 80s versions, IMO...

Yeah, the "mighty" Mustang II Cobra II, 139hp of fury!

1976-ford-mustang-ii-cobra-ii-e1543248003828.jpg

I was working at a Ford dealership in 1978 that had one that looked very similar to the one in the picture. It sold, and the mechanic that did the make ready took it out for a quick test drive, and WRECKED it. I think it had less than 6 miles on it. Totaled it. So they did go fast enough to cause damage..:lol:

The hatchback Fox bodies looked pretty bad too. But the coupe/convertibles looked way better than the II

First they savage the Thunderbird. Now they betray the Mustang. Ford Sux. Guy was a raving antisemite, so what do you expect.

First they savage the Thunderbird. Now they betray the Mustang. Ford Sux. Guy was a raving antisemite, so what do you expect.
As were many of that era, including Thomas Watson. Guy's been gone for well over 70 years now, so I'm not clear on what his personal beliefs would have on the design of cars that were developed long after he was dead.

It’s great that there is another EV player in the market, but oh boy, did Ford not have access to a wind tunnel when they designed this? How is it so inefficient?

The standard range Mach E battery is 75kWh - which gets them 230 miles. The Model 3 also has a 75kWh battery and gets 322 miles.

Extended range Mach E is 99kWh for 300 miles where the S (much bigger car) gets 370 miles on 100kWh.

Back