Who are the cooks out there

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I work underground as a mechanic on mining equipment. Have an A&P and enjoy working on my Beech Sport.

Besides flying, fishing and camping, cooking is fun to me. My wife Tami and the kids are happy to let me cook dinner or holiday meals.

Looking for ideas for the upcoming holiday season. Appetizers, main dishes, side dishes and deserts.

One side dish I was thinking about was a oyster stuffing filled mushroom.
oyster-stuffed-mushrooms.jpg

What ideas do you have for a fun holiday dinner. Thanks

Recipe dammit! Or I am going to report the teaser picture to the banhammer police. :p
Recipe is in the works
Ingredients
1 can (3.75 oz) Smoked Oysters, drained and chopped

1 teaspoon olive oil

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

1/4 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons white wine

1 pound medium size mushrooms, stems removed

Pimento chopped

Hmm, oyster stuffed mushrooms. Not a bad idea.

I am completely worthless with clever little side dishes, but anything that moos, oinks, cackles or swims, I'm da man.

Oh, well, then again, cole slaw.

Godwin's Law dictates that this will revert to a BBQ thread.

First pumpkin spice and then, in December, candy cane flavored?
Just askin'

My suggestion: Turducken
I had that idea about 7 or 8 years ago. Every one of my in-laws hated it. They still make fun of it. I loved it.
The next year, I made a Cajun Turkey. Most of them hated it, but a few of them admitted they liked it. I loved it.
The next year, Brother in law smoked a turkey. It was dry as shoe leather but everyone loved it, except me. I hated it.

Can anyone detect a pattern here?

Hmm, oyster stuffed mushrooms. Not a bad idea.
As much as I love raw, steamed, stewed or baked oysters, I was a little hesitant about oyster stuffed mushrooms.

But then when he said canned smoked oysters, he had me. I love those damn things.

Just canning 5 quarts of vegetable dumpling soup. Vegetarian, so you guys wouldn’t like it, but yummy and very healthy.
I really like a good vegetarian soup; along with a good meat dish.
When I was a kid, about all we could afford was soup. I always dreaded another meal of soup. But somewhere along the line, I realized I really like soup. My wife hates it though, unless I drain all the juice out of hers.

I had that idea about 7 or 8 years ago. Every one of my in-laws hated it. They still make fun of it. I loved it.
The next year, I made a Cajun Turkey. Most of them hated it, but a few of them admitted they liked it. I loved it.
The next year, Brother in law smoked a turkey. It was dry as shoe leather but everyone loved it, except me. I hated it.

Can anyone detect a pattern here?
You can smoke a turkey for 30-60 min to get some smoke flavor, then cook in the oven normally.

You can smoke a turkey for 30-60 min to get some smoke flavor, then cook in the oven normally.
I wasn't clear. I usually love smoked turkey, or smoked anything for that matter. It was just that I hated my BIL's turkey and my other in-laws loved it while they criticized my perfectly good Turkucken and my perfectly good Cajun Turkey. I can forgive some of them for the Cajun turkey though because I knew going it that some of them don't like hot and spicy like I do. But once you got past the outer level you couldn't really taste the cajun spices anyway. I am pretty sure it is a petty in-law thing.

I wasn't clear. I usually love smoked turkey, or smoked anything for that matter. It was just that I hated my BIL's turkey and my other in-laws loved it while they criticized my perfectly good Turkucken and my perfectly good Cajun Turkey. I can forgive some of them for the Cajun turkey though because I knew going it that some of them don't like hot and spicy like I do. But once you got past the outer level you couldn't really taste the cajun spices anyway. I am pretty sure it is a petty in-law thing.
He dried up a perfectly good turkey and his side of the family said, “Good job! At least you tried!”

I like the idea of oyster stuffed mushrooms. I’ve done it with sausage instead and it works pretty well.

One simple thing that people really like is to get a round loaf of rye or sourdough, tear out the center to make a bowl, set the torn pieces around it and fill it with a dip.

Knorr seasoning packs are easy to find in the grocery store and have the recipe on the back.

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/products/recipe-mixes/vegetable.html

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/recipes/knorr-spinach-dip.html

He dried up a perfectly good turkey and his side of the family said, “Good job! At least you tried!”

I like the idea of oyster stuffed mushrooms. I’ve done it with sausage instead and it works pretty well.

One simple thing that people really like is to get a round loaf of rye or sourdough, tear out the center to make a bowl, set the torn pieces around it and fill it with a dip.

Knorr seasoning packs are easy to find in the grocery store and have the recipe on the back.

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/products/recipe-mixes/vegetable.html

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/recipes/knorr-spinach-dip.html
What's this got to do with BBQ? :D

So I'm thinking out of the box for Thanksgiving dinner. What do you think?
Appetizers
- Mixed nuts (pecans, pistachios, cashews, honey peanuts)
- Extra sharp white cheddar cheese and crackers
-Vegetables (carrots, celery, radish) with a dip
Main dish
- King crab
-Salmon
Side dish
-Stuffed mushrooms
-Wild rice
-Caesar salad
Desert
-Key lime pie
-Apple turnovers

Appetizers
Main dish
- King crab
-Salmon
Side dish
-Stuffed mushrooms
-Wild rice
-Caesar salad
Desert
-Key lime pie
-Apple turnovers
No moose, bear or wolf on the menu? LOL

Seriously though, that all sounds good but I don't like the honey peanuts. Your preference matters though. Maybe more cheese variety would be good.

If the cranberry sauce doesn’t have can lines, I’m not eating it. We had early thanksgiving dinner for my mom’s birthday last week. Turkey, aged prime rib, lasagna, mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed spinach, corn, steamed broccoli, sushi, and of course the old faithful ocean spray cranberry sauce

9xSVmF6.png

Here is a dessert idea - gingerbread cookies. Get a very strong gingerbread recipe, I think this one was from Martha Stuart. Cut out snowflakes with a largeish cookie cutter, maybe 4-6” across. Pipe with royal icing, place decorations at the intersections.

972607B7-B74B-43F7-9271-67C625F12718.jpeg

Lots of other ideas - peppermint ice cream in choux pastries, traditional pecan pie, fruitcake, stollen.

Appetizers
Main dish
- King crab
-Salmon
Side dish
-Stuffed mushrooms
-Wild rice
-Caesar salad
Desert
-Key lime pie
-Apple turnovers

What is your address?

If the cranberry sauce doesn’t have can lines, I’m not eating it. We had early thanksgiving dinner for my mom’s birthday last week. Turkey, aged prime rib, lasagna, mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed spinach, corn, steamed broccoli, sushi, and of course the old faithful ocean spray cranberry sauce
lasagna??? different for Thanksgiving.

We got tired of dealing with aftermath of the turkey and its carcass, so we switched to a standing rib roast which never lingers beyond a couple of days.

I'm a HUUGE Alton Brown fan (My mom got me started on cooking, Alton Brown kept me cooking!) I follow a lot of his recipes, but since my wife is Eastern European, she's not much into cranberry sauce and stuffing. (I know... right?) So I adjust my dishes to match her tastes. This year, I'll modify one of Alton Brown's recipes for a side: Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, and maybe make his Mac-n-Cheese.

Back