I hate used car salesmen.

And what is that going to accomplish?

Well my brother had a friend who won the lottery shortly after high school. Wanted to get a Hummer. Went to the local dealership and being a late teenager/early 20 individual all of the sales people ignored him. So he drove an hour or so away to the next city, went in, and somebody helped him right away. Bought it on the spot. Drove back to the dealership in town with his brand new Hummer and ask to see the sales manager. Explained the situation and all of sales people got an ass chewing from the manager.

So it could at least get them to consider taking every customer a bit more seriously.

Assume that everything a car salesman tells you is either an outright lie or just made up on the spot. You just have to speak 'car dealer'. Its a separate language that sounds like english, but the words dont mean the same thing. Learn to speak 'car dealer' and the interaction can become a pleasant one. This is no different from online dating sites and prostitution (I hear).

'Yes, the car is here on our lot, I am looking at it' ---> there is a car that vaguely resembles what you are looking for in our inventory system, but we have no idea at which of our 10 dealerships it is currently located.
'They all come with the winter package' ---> well, not the one you are interested int, but all the others, I promise
'Bottom line no haggle price' ---> a good starting point
'We will beat any competitor' ---> no we really dont, its just something we say
'The state requires us to charge that fee' ---> they dont. The state just charges sales-tax. Thats just another fee we made up.
'We are not allowed to go below MSRP' ---> Lol.

My sister in law was a car salesperson, who later became a LEO. She said that the transition was smoother into becoming a LEO for herself, than some others, because she had already learned the art of being deceitful. She has the entire time I've known her, ( about 28 or 29 years) told me never believe one word that is said by a car salesperson or cop.

To be in car sales is all about product knowledge, like selling anything else.

It is too easy to tell which ones has studied up and which ones hasn't.

One of the few times I have to disagree with you. I’m a VERY conservative driver. I look around at others who slam on the gas when the light turns green, keep their foot on the gas until it moves to the brakes, etc. And in most cases there’s really not that much difference in price between a new vehicle and one that’s a few years old. I’d rather have one that I’m the only one who has driven it.

So you consider yourself a better drive than everyone else?

Other aspect aside from the $$ savings is most of the certified used cars have bumped up warranties exceeding that of a new car, some even have mx tossed in like oil changes and brakes, if someone drove the heck out of it bring it in and have it fixed.

Back