G1000 MFD Only w/ Backup Instruments

vsc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vsc
One local DPE appears to like to follow a Garmin suggestion with respect to partial panel where what is left is the MFD and backup instruments. Reversionary mode is not available. Thus you have the moving map, whatever you can get displayed on top, as well as the airspeed, attitude and altitude backup instruments. The goal is to shoot a non-precision approach in this configuration.

Clearly watching DTK and TRK, along with cross-track offset in conjunction with the magenta line gives lateral guidance. That said without the PFD there is no VSI as far as I can tell, thus you are eyeballing sink rate from the backup altitude instrument. Is there any way to get better vertical guidance from the MFD in this configuration?

Yeah, 'partial panel' with a G1000 (actually ADHRS failure mode) is still better than a complete 6 pack :)
But no way to get vertical guidance for an approach. You just have to 'rough it' with the altimeter.

Correction: If you use the official Garmin mask - you can get vertical guidance because navigation (GPS/ILS) is still working in that scenario (ADHRS failure). If the DPE just covers the whole screen, you lose that.

Correction: If you use the official Garmin mask - you can get vertical guidance because navigation (GPS/ILS) is still working in that scenario (ADHRS failure). If the DPE just covers the whole screen, you lose that.

I figured as much. The DPE is covering the whole PDF....

Non-precision approach - Dive and drive. All you need is altimeter for vertical. Look at the "unwind" rate to approximate vertical speed. I had whole G500 dimmed to dark for my Partial Panel. Had horizontal on GTN650 (needle and matching DTK/TRK). I actually found it easier than having full panel.

Yeah, the whole idea of doing partial panel on a non precision approach is that you actually can fairly easily fly a precision approach with a vacuum failure (the classic partial panel scenario). The whole point of doing it with non precision is that you can follow the more robust pitot static system to non precision minimums (or earlier) to get to the airport.

Back