"Beware" listings on Barnstormers

Can anyone shed light on how these listings come into being? Do the admins make these listings? Do they overwrite these listings after determining they are scams? Or, are these listings submitted by concerned citizens, ....Or what?

Example: https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1516842
"Friend of owner"

That might be a giveaway....

"Why, it just fell off the truck.."

Beware of methods of sale funds exchange... Like Zelle. No protection for the buyer...

Oh, and "if it's too good to be true..."

My favorite is this one. I think it has been up for 5 years in like 3 sites. Not a nickle change in price.

Alma. Wonder if they would allow for in-person pickup since I'm pretty close.

I'm just wondering how the listings like the one in my OP get originated. I searched for GNS 430W, and half the results were "Beware" listings with various different seller's names, prices and descriptions. But, the "phone number" shown is all (000) 000-0000.

I'm just wondering how the listings like the one in my OP get originated. I searched for GNS 430W, and half the results were "Beware" listings with various different seller's names, prices and descriptions. But, the "phone number" shown is all (000) 000-0000.

Maybe the phone numbers get changed by the admins to 000-000-0000 since they also edit the ad to say scam.

My favorite is this one. I think it has been up for 5 years in like 3 sites. Not a nickle change in price.

And it will be there another 5 years at that price. A 1978 182RG, a run out engine, crap AP, and crap radios for $77k. The airplane is only worth $35k-$40k.

Last edited:
And it will be there another 5 years at that price. A 1978 182RG, a run out engine, crap AP, and crap radios for $77k. The airplane is only worth $35k-$40k.
Thats refreshing to hear around here for once. This market thinks if anything has more than 220hp its 100k. Doesn't matter what make and model, seat number, engine time, avionics. 100k. Lol.

Thats refreshing to hear around here for once. This market thinks if anything has more than 220hp its 100k. Doesn't matter what make and model, seat number, engine time, avionics. 100k. Lol.

$77K+$30k (engine)+$10K (autopilot) +$20K for avionics upgrades = a really nice 1978 182RG worth $100k.

The ads get changed to 000-000-0000 after they are reported as scams, I don’t know why they don’t get taken down entirely (maybe as a reminder to other users that there are scams out there?).

I know this because I reported a scammer once, and saw that his ad had been wiped like these.

Maybe the phone numbers get changed by the admins to 000-000-0000 since they also edit the ad to say scam.

So, you're saying then, that its the admins overwritting listings to say they are scams?

Several years ago I was selling some of my old racing equipment. I get a call from a guy that sounded on the up and up, that he was knowledgeable about what I was selling and knew it was old. He wanted to send a postal money order and I said Ok.

A few days later I get a USPS money order for 900 bucks. The selling price was 800. I call the guy and told him I got the money order for 900 and the price we agreed on was 800. He said his wife did the money order for him and if it was acceptable to send the 100 bucks back.

The money order did not look right, the security tape going through it was printed, not made into the paper. I took it to the post office and they said it was fake, and took it from me. I gave them the buyer information that was given to me.

I called the guy back and asked him what the deal is, the money order is fake, and he hung up. I don't know what the post office did, if anything.

You think pilots are cheap, try dealing with racers...:lol::lol:

I've only made two barnstormers ads ( not for a 182RG or Garmin 430), but I seem to recall that ads which are "text only" are free.
People who are feeling the sting of a scam could just be copying the ad copy into a new ad. They certainly wouldn't put their own phone number or promote the scammer's number

Several years ago I was selling some of my old racing equipment. I get a call from a guy that sounded on the up and up, that he was knowledgeable about what I was selling and knew it was old. He wanted to send a postal money order and I said Ok.

A few days later I get a USPS money order for 900 bucks. The selling price was 800. I call the guy and told him I got the money order for 900 and the price we agreed on was 800. He said his wife did the money order for him and if it was acceptable to send the 100 bucks back.

The money order did not look right, the security tape going through it was printed, not made into the paper. I took it to the post office and they said it was fake, and took it from me. I gave them the buyer information that was given to me.

I called the guy back and asked him what the deal is, the money order is fake, and he hung up. I don't know what the post office did, if anything.

You think pilots are cheap, try dealing with racers...:lol::lol:

Was that you?

Guy had an ad for a sailplane a few years ago, but the pictures were obviously of an R/C model. I kept him going for a few weeks with absurd questions about the glider using made up references to American culture that went right over his head (he assured me that yes, the ballast tanks had been retrofitted with "Nixon water gate valves"), and kept making excuses for why he hadn't received my deposit yet. Eventually I guess he caught on, I got one last "F.U." from him and that was the end of it.

I worked briefly in college for an “aircraft broker” who advertised aircraft he did not have, and used aviation college kids to cold call owners to find ones desperate to sell.

He pocketed the difference and as far as I can tell, never paid any of us who worked for him.

I figured out his scam in about three weeks and stopped showing up. He promised percentage of sale to the cold callers.

Probably still hiring aviation students to do his dirty work to this day.

I worked briefly in college for an “aircraft broker” who advertised aircraft he did not have, and used aviation college kids to cold call owners to find ones desperate to sell.

He pocketed the difference and as far as I can tell, never paid any of us who worked for him.

I figured out his scam in about three weeks and stopped showing up. He promised percentage of sale to the cold callers.

Probably still hiring aviation students to do his dirty work to this day.

Did his name rhyme with Tarron Bhomas?

If these ridiculous-sounding scams didn't work, the scammers would use them.
People are gullible when it comes to getting a “deal” they toss reason aside to get that once in a lifetime deal from someone who just doesn’t know what they are selling!! Happens a lot with classic cars! Craigslist posting of a desirable car or truck, old Mustang or Bronco, the seller is military and he will have it shipped to you! Send money to their fake escrow account and it’s on the way!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: The scammers play on our greed!!

Can anyone shed light on how these listings come into being? Do the admins make these listings? Do they overwrite these listings after determining they are scams? Or, are these listings submitted by concerned citizens, ....Or what?

Example: https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1516842
I messed with a guy, maybe the same one for about 10 days, I really enjoyed scamming him!! He did send me a copy of a drivers license that was an actual person, I contacted him on Facebook and let him know about the scammer with his id.

I was selling a coolspace once for $300. They sell for $500 new with free shipping but shipping for this used one would have been a nightmare so I put it on Craigslist. Some guy expressed interest and mailed me a check for $5000. Said I needed to wire the rest to the shippers. These criminals really need to a little research. :rolleyes:

The check was from a pet food company in south Florida (chewy.com). But the return address was from Michigan. I contacted them and told them what was going on. It wasn’t their account number on the check. I figured with a forged check sent through US mail that would get some action. I contacted the USPS, sheriff's office and the FBI. Not one of them could give a crap.

I guess that’s this type of stuff is so common. There’s a trillion to one chance that any LEO's will ever come looking for you.

I once put a G430 up for sale then saw an ad for another one for sale that looked just like mine, so I pretended to be an interested buyer. Turned out the guy was trying to sell me my own item and wanted payment via Western Union sent to his address in Paris. I told him that actually I was going to be in Paris the next week and would pay in cash, which would also avoid packing and shipping charges. You can guess where it went from there. ;)

The ads get changed to 000-000-0000 after they are reported as scams, I don’t know why they don’t get taken down entirely (maybe as a reminder to other users that there are scams out there?).

I know this because I reported a scammer once, and saw that his ad had been wiped like these.

Oh that's interesting. I thought that since it was a free ad it was some consumer doing it.

I was selling a coolspace once for $300. They sell for $500 new with free shipping but shipping for this used one would have been a nightmare so I put it on Craigslist. Some guy expressed interest and mailed me a check for $5000. Said I needed to wire the rest to the shippers. These criminals really need to a little research. :rolleyes:

The check was from a pet food company in south Florida (chewy.com). But the return address was from Michigan. I contacted them and told them what was going on. It wasn’t their account number on the check. I figured with a forged check sent through US mail that would get some action. I contacted the USPS, sheriff's office and the FBI. Not one of them could give a crap.

I guess that’s this type of stuff is so common. There’s a trillion to one chance that any LEO's will ever come looking for you.
We had a company send us a check for two used vehicles we had listed online, $48,000.00 they contacted us about the time the check arrived. One vehicle was sold, so they just wanted the one, we could send them the change, less shipping costs! :D Anyway, the company was legit, it was one of their checks, but that check had already been cashed and it was written in Canadian funds originally! The scammers kept asking if we had deposited the check, we said yes of course, we never did. No law enforcement had any interest.

Back