ADS-B non-compliance

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Has the FAA come out with a plan for identifying aircraft in airspace requiring, but not broadcasting ads-b out, atc-pilot communication regarding same, and sanctions; yet?

I was wondering what that would sound like on frequency, what are possible responses ie PCG terminology, and if penalties will be expected (maybe for repeated non-compliance?).

You be the first to get caught and let us know how they got you and the penalty.

Don’t think it’s going to be much of an issue. We don’t hear much about planes flying in the mode C vail without transponders.

Don’t think it’s going to be much of an issue. We don’t hear much about planes flying in the mode C vail without transponders.
But did we the day after the deadline for required transponders within the Mode C Veil?

Got a nastygram from them once when my transponder konked out in the middle of a Class Charlie. I suppose if you do it over and over again they may get ugly. Sanctions won't be any different from flying in controlled airspace without a transponder.

There was a whole thread on this. FAA said prior arrangements must me made with ATC for non-ADS-B flights in areas it’s required. They indicated this is an exception basis and not so liberally granted.

FAA Policy: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...aircraft-that-are-not-equipped-with-automatic
I would note that the policy does not account for for operation under 91.225(e) which does not require prior arrangements given that (g) only addresses "Requests for ATC authorized deviations from the requirements of this section" which are already waived by (e)

I don't have a transponder, and don't intend to put one in the flying bug. I regularly go out of my way to avoid the Mode C veil around the "Emerald City Mess". I've been told though, by several old-timers that due to minimum vectoring altitudes and the vagaries of primary radar and rising terrain, it is possible to cheat JUST A LITTLE BIT, and no one would be the wiser. That's unofficial though, I haven't tested it out.......

I don't have a transponder, and don't intend to put one in the flying bug. I regularly go out of my way to avoid the Mode C veil around the "Emerald City Mess". I've been told though, by several old-timers that due to minimum vectoring altitudes and the vagaries of primary radar and rising terrain, it is possible to cheat JUST A LITTLE BIT, and no one would be the wiser. That's unofficial though, I haven't tested it out.......
Give it a try. let us know how it works out.

As of right now the FAA hasn’t issued a requirement to ATC to authenticate ADS-B targets. They can access that information with a few strokes of a keyboard though.

Two AOPA issues ago John Collins had a good article about ADS-B and ATC. While the controllers interviewed touted its capabilities, I don’t think it’ll do much on their end.

Back