VIDEO: SoCal flying to Santa Ynez with a close call, bike riding to Solvang

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
It's been super fun creating some videos of our family flying adventures. We recently loaded the Cherokee 6 with four bikes and flew to Santa Ynez, CA for a quick day trip. Hope you enjoy the video....

Any chance the other plane was on approach/center frequency? Could you have monitored that on your COM2?

Cool video. It had that Discovery or History Channel feel where the narration and epic background music makes everything riveting and dramatic. In a fun, good, wholesome way. It was honestly fun to watch.

Awesome video! And yes, doing cool things with the kids is important. Such awesome memories (minus the other traffic issue) for you and your family!

Any chance the other plane was on approach/center frequency? Could you have monitored that on your COM2?
I definitely could have continued to monitor the approach frequency on com2. I know Santa Barbara approach was initially not talking to the plane when she called out the traffic since she said type unknown and then she handed us off and I called on Santa Ynez frequency right away. The plane was not on the CTAF either but it IS possible that they could have been switching to approach for an initial call as we were switching over to CTAF. That plane just turned right at us and after passing under us continued on back toward Santa Ynez airport but kept well north of the airport. He picked just the right time to turn around and cross paths with us.

I’m definitely grateful for ADSB. If I hadn’t climbed I might have been a couple hundred feet closer. I was thinking if I didn’t have adsb I never would have known he turned toward us.

I definitely could have continued to monitor the approach frequency on com2. I know Santa Barbara approach was initially not talking to the plane when she called out the traffic since she said type unknown and then she handed us off and I called on Santa Ynez frequency right away. The plane was not on the CTAF either but it IS possible that they could have been switching to approach for an initial call as we were switching over to CTAF. That plane just turned right at us and after passing under us continued on back toward Santa Ynez airport but kept well north of the airport. He picked just the right time to turn around and cross paths with us.

I’m definitely grateful for ADSB. If I hadn’t climbed I might have been a couple hundred feet closer. I was thinking if I didn’t have adsb I never would have known he turned toward us.

You saw, you avoided. ADSB helped. You acknowledged you have a tendency to spend maybe a bit to much time on the IPad so you get that. I saw your head on a swivel and outside the cockpit a lot, that is good. What would I have done differently, I dunno. I’d have to be in your head to do that. Question. Were you fixated on looking for that airplane? The one the controller called out before terminating you and you saw on the ADSB? Or were you also scanning the sky for other traffic?

I enjoyed the video. I'm not one for the music but you did an excellent job with the mix and it was all good. I love flying with my bride, no kids, but we do fly with our dog on occasion. I had a good laugh at the start of the video, your bride said shop, sounds oh so familiar ;). The one youngster said food, after my own heart. I subscribed, looking forward to more videos!

Good call on the initial right turn away and then the immediate climb when traffic was converging. ADS-B is a great tool to have available.

You saw, you avoided. ADSB helped. You acknowledged you have a tendency to spend maybe a bit to much time on the IPad so you get that. I saw your head on a swivel and outside the cockpit a lot, that is good. What would I have done differently, I dunno. I’d have to be in your head to do that. Question. Were you fixated on looking for that airplane? The one the controller called out before terminating you and you saw on the ADSB? Or were you also scanning the sky for other traffic?
I was pretty fixated on looking for the called out traffic which is the one I saw on the ADsB display. But I would have spotted any other traffic at least from 9 o’clock clockwise to 1 o’clock as I was really looking in that area. I was actively scanning since the AWOS informs about NORDO aircraft and gliders in the area. I usually don’t have that hard of a time spotting traffic that is shown on adsb. In reviewing the various camera angles while cutting the video I still couldn’t spot the plane until you see it cross under us. It’s like it appeared out of thin air! Haha

Ya done good. Just remember, there are many, many pilots who subscribe to the big sky theory, I think that guy who passed under you was one of them.

Santa Ynez, along with other airports have plenty of glider activity. You can't count on ADS-B to help find those guys.

Every time I go into that airport, my vigilance is heightened far above the normal bar. Gliders are tougher to see than you'd believe, and have extremely limited ability to go-around. (Haha).

Santa Ynez, along with other airports have plenty of glider activity. You can't count on ADS-B to help find those guys.

Every time I go into that airport, my vigilance is heightened far above the normal bar. Gliders are tougher to see than you'd believe, and have extremely limited ability to go-around. (Haha).

Yes for sure. I’m always on the lookout for non adsb especially in these types of areas. Santa Ynez May be the first awos that I’ve heard that specifically mentions to lookout for gliders and Nordos.

Fun video. I've flown in there multiple times with my bike and never knew there was a bike trail there! I usually just ride from the airport over to Los Olivos. Such a great area to fly.

PS...you're hangar is right by mine at WHP

Fun video. I've flown in there multiple times with my bike and never knew there was a bike trail there! I usually just ride from the airport over to Los Olivos. Such a great area to fly.

PS...you're hangar is right by mine at WHP
oh nice! same row (Delta row)?

Do you happen to have any info you can link to for the bike trail from Santa Ynez airport to Solvang? My wife and I are planning on landing at this airport soon and staying a night in Solvang, and we'd like to make use of the bike trial, but I cannot find any information on it other than what you showed in the video.

Do you happen to have any info you can link to for the bike trail from Santa Ynez airport to Solvang? My wife and I are planning on landing at this airport soon and staying a night in Solvang, and we'd like to make use of the bike trial, but I cannot find any information on it other than what you showed in the video.

You pick it up by the High School. Take the Highway from the airport. A little past the intersection of N. Refugio Rd. you’ll see it.

upload_2021-7-7_13-58-33.png

You pick it up by the High School. Take the Highway from the airport. A little past the intersection of N. Refugio Rd. you’ll see it.

Nice! Thanks! So, it looks like you have to stay on 246 for a bit before the trail, and then again after it. Hopefully there's not too much traffic. :)

Wow. Those look like some cool trails. However, we're not bringing the "real" bikes with us. :) They have to fit in the back of my PA-28-180, so they are just little folding eBikes. It's only 5 miles from KIZA to Solvang, so they have more than enough range, but I wouldn't take them any further than that. :)

The above posts are correct - left out of he airport onto the main road and then pick up the bike path by the high school. It's easy to see. Goes almost all the way to town from there. Road is busy but the shoulder is wide enough to be safe in my opinion.

The above posts are correct - left out of he airport onto the main road and then pick up the bike path by the high school. It's easy to see. Goes almost all the way to town from there. Road is busy but the shoulder is wide enough to be safe in my opinion.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Looking forward to it. I already flew over there and landed and came back just to make sure I had no issues with Navigation (didn't want my first time landing there to also be with a nervous flyer. :)), but didn't get out and check around for the path. This information really helps out a lot. Thanks again.

Back