Avionics options/opinions

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
Here's the deal. My 182P partnership is looking at doing some avionics upgrades. The attitude indicator is on the fritz, so there's a coming decision of whether we want to replace it or just go glass for the long term.

Plane currently has a 430/GNX375 combo (latter is GPS navigator + WAAS + ADSB) so that part is covered. What the plane lacks is a working autopilot and it's steam gauges.

I got a quote for a Tru-Trak installed at $7500 and think that's by far the best route to go. I'm not sure adding any glass to it is even worth what we'd spend while gaining little in capability. But of course some local avionics guy (a Garmin dealer no doubt) told some of our members that the Tru-Trak is junk. I've personally heard nothing but great things but other members want to go G5 + GFC500 for over twice the cost, which means we probably will end up with a G5 going in first and not even get the autopilot for a long time.

My question is, what else is out there? Are G5's still even the best cost option for what they do? Would a G3X 7 inch be a better value if I'm overruled and they insist on going glass since it's HSI + engine monitor too? What about other brands and options? What are some of the installed costs you are seeing?

We are going to meet next month and I need to have some homework done to hopefully stop us from making a mistake (or maybe I'm just wrong?). I don't want to keep piecemealing avionics in and find out we could have just spent more upfront but got more capabilities at a cheaper price over the long haul.

A couple other things to research in order to provide competitive analysis: Trio ProPilot, uAvionix AV30S.

A couple other things to research in order to provide competitive analysis: Trio ProPilot, uAvionix AV30S.

I've looked into the Trio. If it were the same cost to install as the TruTrak, it might make sense, but it's a lot more expensive. The TruTrak just makes too much sense if it's between those two.

uAvionix looks like an option though. Thanks.

I recently joined a small club with an RV7A. It has 430W, tru trak with alt hold and an aspen EFD.

Seems to be an nice combo

The Trutrak is not junk. When I was looking into autopilots I was told by several shops that it was no good or that they weren’t interested in doing a Trutrak install. I figured out after a couple of those that the only people that are saying that are Garmin dealers who will make a lot more money selling you a GFC500 and installing it. I ended up having a Trutrak autopilot installed along with a Dynon skyview HDx system. The Trutrak is really great. Does a great job in track mode, GPSs mode, and holding altitude.

You won’t get cheaper or easier to install than a G5/TruTrak combo. I just finished integrating the two now that they can talk to one another and it works perfectly.

Back