Flight Academy not willing to see instructors beforehand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I just realized something:
All the schools that I had stopped at are now out of business, except for one. Guess which one, @Landing Fees ?

I'll play your game WoW. I guess I have a few choices so let me think about it. A, B, C or D. Gonna have to go with E. The one that the best student ever in the whole wide world went to, you. You are directly responsible for job loss by not going there. Classic correlation is causation. Need some bacon now.

The school where I learned in 1969 at San Diego Montgomery Field , National Air College was still in business a few years ago when I visited and the Warrior I flew was still in use. I had a good instructor and one not very friendly one, but never had any trouble talking to one. The idea of "free ground for a few hours" is a distortion of the original post on this topic. You can meet a potential CFI and in 15 min have a pretty good idea of how they teach, what they think is important, and what their flying background and maybe future plans are, and if their free time matches the student you can do the first lesson then or schedule it soon.
That's not "free ground school".

I'll play your game WoW. I guess I have a few choices so let me think about it. A, B, C or D. Gonna have to go with E. The one that the best student ever in the whole wide world went to, you. You are directly responsible for job loss by not going there. Classic correlation is causation. Need some bacon now.
Me? Ha! No! But me, many people like me, etc. YES! Who da thunk it? You treat people well, you stay in business...of course, you seem like such a business expert, I don't have to tell you that, do I? Besides, you seem like quite a "people person"...lol

I picked the instructor I used for the commercial and multiengine ratings because I overheard him doing ground instruction with another student and liked his approach. Worked out very well, and I flew with him almost exclusively for years, until he retired.

The poster, did not claim to be an airline employee, rather that he is a CFI and we were talking about practice directly related to that and his flight school if in fact there is one. Its different than saying everyone at Jet Blue backs Airbus or votes for tariffs.
Not an airline employee but still an employee. It doesn’t matter where he works. His desire to remain anonymous is his personal business

Me? Ha! No! But me, many people like me, etc. YES! Who da thunk it? You treat people well, you stay in business...of course, you seem like such a business expert, I don't have to tell you that, do I? Besides, you seem like quite a "people person"...lol

I am not a people person that is why I don't instruct cheap pilots or even brilliant ones, like you. If you were my student and you got all sadz one day because I didn't kiss your butt, you would find my schedule unavailable to you. I call that retroactive customer service. People like that can't (the ones that know how stuff "should" be done) handle the truths like hearing that you just aren't that good despite your upbringing as mommy's special boy. What does correlate is that those people that couldn't get on my schedule, flew with a couple of other instructors, couldn't ever be happy anywhere and they switched schools or quit. Fact.

Now you can blame old Landing Fees for your sadness because I don't really care and the truth that you are cross-eyed, or dumb, untrainable or just ain't got what it takes won't come out of my mouth. How is that for five star customer service.

Well. Good on ya, mate. You got a waiting list.

You don't have time for me? 'sall right... I got none for you.

Now, if you're the only school in my state... Might be a little different... But not much, in these days of social media...

Somebody will come in to fill the vacuum. And, probably pretty quick.
Probably not. There's also a CFI shortage, to go along with the pilot shortage.

I'm going to assume this is rhetorical, and you aren't looking for actual answers.

Well I am attempting to appear that I value your opinion. Is it working? It can be so hard to convey ideas in writing (I did go to night school). I am trying to show that your opinion of me will keep me up at night, I must change my way. Frankly, you make me want to be a better man/woman/child.

Probably not. There's also a CFI shortage, to go along with the pilot shortage.

Actually there not a CFI shortage. There a shortage of CFIs willing to work for less than people pay their golf coach or masseuse. Post something online offering $60 an hour and see how many responses you get.

Actually there not a CFI shortage. There a shortage of CFIs willing to work for less than people pay their golf coach or masseuse. Post something online offering $60 an hour and see how many responses you get.
Sure, and get somebody that has no interest in teaching, but will pretend for enough money.
I’ll go with the person with a passion for flying and teaching others. Those are the ones that like to talk to you even when you aren’t paying them.

Sure, and get somebody that has no interest in teaching, but will pretend for enough money.
I’ll go with the person with a passion for flying and teaching others. Those are the ones that like to talk to you even when you aren’t paying them.

So someone has to work for peanuts to love to fly. There are plenty of very good instructors who won’t work for nothing just because they want a hobby like you.

So someone has to work for peanuts to love to fly. There are plenty of very good instructors who won’t work for nothing just because they want a hobby like you.
You mad bro?

You mad bro?

I am not angry, I am just saying there are plenty of retired airline and military CFIs who can fill the CFI shortage, but they are not going to work for peanuts and share your dream of being a hobby instructor.

I am not angry, I am just saying there are plenty of retired airline and military CFIs who can fill the CFI shortage, but they are not going to work for peanuts and share your dream of being a hobby instructor.
You say that as an insult, but it’s not. Sad for you.

My guess is that if you quit instructing, nobody would be in tears over it.

If you want flight training in a social setting, join a non profit flying club. You can go to meetings, talk to instructors and other pilots, and drink some beer.

The sad truth is that, despite the tone, @Clip4 seems to be right. I would love to instruct full time as a career, but the income potential of the airlines is just too great a pull. Sadly that’s true of too many teaching positions. I’ll be instructing on my way to the airlines, and I hope I love it as much as I think I will...but it’s part of the journey and not the destination.

Can you refer a bunch of the criers on this site for employment? We got some real talent.

Unfortunately, job openings are few. Basically, someone has to die for you to get in.

The sad truth is that, despite the tone, @Clip4 seems to be right. I would love to instruct full time as a career, but the income potential of the airlines is just too great a pull. Sadly that’s true of too many teaching positions. I’ll be instructing on my way to the airlines, and I hope I love it as much as I think I will...but it’s part of the journey and not the destination.

What people miss is there are a lot of very qualified CFIs who are not active who enjoy a nice pension from their career. Many of them would instruct, but they are not going come off the golf course a few days a week to work for what many here believe is a fair hourly wage. They would make more money giving golf lessons as the average golf lesson cost $55 an hour.

What people miss is there are a lot of very qualified CFIs who are not active who enjoy a nice pension from their career. Many of them would instruct, but they are not going come off the golf course a few days a week to work for what many here believe is a fair hourly wage. They would make more money giving golf lessons as the average golf lesson cost $55 an hour.

Absolutely. One of my instructors is a retired airline captain. He is hands down the best instructor I’ve had. He loves it too but, there is zero monetary incentive for him to spend time away from his family. He instructs only a few select students...none of them primary.

Hm....I have no qualms paying my CFII $50/ hr flight or ground. His normal fee is $75/hr and he’s booked as often as he wants. I get the CAP discount because we’re both members.

You say that as an insult, but it’s not. Sad for you.

No insult just fact. You will never be a really good instructor, but people will love you because you work cheap and they don’t know any better. If you get with real professionals some time you will figure out how little you really know.

Last edited:
No insult just fact. You will never be a really good instructor, but people will love you because you work cheap and they don’t know any better. If you get with real professionals some time you will out how little you really know.

This " you will out how little you really know. " is how you prove your superiority?

No insult just fact. You will never be a really good instructor, but people will love you because you work cheap and they don’t know any better. If you get with real professionals some time you will figure out how little you really know.
I guess that reading what a person posts on the Internet is all it takes to evaluate their fitness to be an instructor. Maybe the FAA should do away with CFI checkrides. ;)

I guess that reading what a person posts on the Internet is all it takes to evaluate their fitness to be an instructor. Maybe the FAA should do away with CFI checkrides. ;)

The FAA experience, training, and practical test standards are minimal. Add to that the practical test today is easier than it was 20 years ago. The FAA needs to restaff the FSDOs, take the practical CFI tests away from the DPEs, and have FAA inspectors do all the tests.

Last edited:
A lot of us love aviation, but not everyone is going to feel like that. Some people are going to put in the required time to get their paycheck,just like a bus driver. Not who I'd want to spend my time and money with if I have a choice. If you are doing a private rating, student and instructor are going to likely be flying together some where around 30 hours.

You have no idea who I fly with therefore your judgment is worthless. You can keep your free advice, as well as your paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back