Night VFR Route to KPSP?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Flying VFR tonight from Burbank to Palm Springs. Any suggestions on Waypoints / Routes to avoid those big mountains? I assume Banning pass, but hoping to get some waypoints.

I'd fly it like it was IFR, strictly adhering to charted airways and staying above the MEAs. Maintain visual on I-10 through the pass. Those rocks are very hard and haven't lost a contest to an airplane yet.

V16 direct between PDZ and PSP VORTACs has an MEA of 13,000; but V388 with DEWAY as an intermediate fix is only 9,500.

Remember that supplemental oxygen may be advisable at lower altitudes at night.

Last edited:
Easy peasy at any altitude...IFR (I Follow Roads) Track I-10 all the way. That is essentially sea level all the way through.

IIRC, There's a highway that runs right down the middle of banning pass. I can't remember if it's lighted or not though but it might be possible to follow it if there's enough traffic.

Track I-10 all the way. That is essentially sea level all the way through.
Banning Airport, right next to the highway, is 2,222' MSL.

IIRC, There's a highway that runs right down the middle of banning pass. I can't remember if it's lighted or not though but it might be possible to follow it if there's enough traffic.
I-10 is the main road between L.A. and Palm Springs, Phoenix and points east. There's scads of traffic on it -- especially tonight, getaway day on a holiday weekend.

Last edited:
For the GPS go kBUR POM KBNG PSP KPSP. Visually, follow the string of pearls, and you’ll be golden.

Last edited:
Dude it’s SoCal, if you can’t handle it VFR that’s a sad day, follow the I10, banning and big bear have cheap fuel. Don’t drop the soap in PSP

Dude it’s SoCal, if you can’t handle it VFR that’s a sad day, follow the I10, banning and big bear have cheap fuel. Don’t drop the soap in PSP

That is what you get with 800 hours from a Cirrus driver.

He said it was night. Give him a break. He's asking for help, why not be helpful?

Those freeways are almost easier to see at night, this ain’t Nebraska

Night mountain VFR? That never sounds like a great idea. Remember- we can always fly tomorrow.

I don’t know if you’re IFR rated or not, but really couldn’t recommend delaying till day time, or following airways.

just have contingency plans ready. What if my ForeFlight dies, gps fails etc... how good is your night pilotage?

Banning pass is wide as the day is long. I think its about 20-30mi wide peak to peak. And the valley floor only gets up to 2-3k at the highest. If you have a gps you’ll be fine. Just follow the I-10. After 9pm winds are usually much calmer anyhow.

If you don’t feel comfortable navigating at night VFR then don’t do it. ‍♂️

Fly out that way this evening myself, but going to Prescott. It’ll be my longest night cross country since we are not leaving till 6:30pm. We are going high though, 13.5.

Night mountain VFR? That never sounds like a great idea. Remember- we can always fly tomorrow.

I don’t know if you’re IFR rated or not, but really couldn’t recommend delaying till day time, or following airways.

just have contingency plans ready. What if my ForeFlight dies, gps fails etc... how good is your night pilotage?

Just flew night mountain VFR tonight in Wyoming/Utah. Yeah I’m still alive! I’m actually more scared of flying in California any time of day rather than out here. Maybe I’ll go try it sometime.

The key is proper planning and briefing. Which the OP was asking for. I’m not familiar with Cali so won’t offer an opinion other than plan and brief thoroughly. If OP has a sim fly the route in the sim. I often do that for planning unfamiliar flights. It’s quite helpful.

Those freeways are almost easier to see at night, this ain’t Nebraska

James is right on this one. VFR at night in SoCal is like daytime VFR basically anywhere else. Unless it’s heavy marine layer - which would be a problem for VFR daytime too - there is so much light pollution that you’d have to be a real dope to run into the mountains.

And... there’s a lot less traffic and it’s a lot easier to see at night.

Night flying in the L.A. area is amazing, yes you can see everything because L.A. is such a spread out city. The air is usually smooth, visibility great, and radios are super calm. There are also a lot of airports below in case you need to put it down somewhere. I really love night flying here.

Flying Kbur to Kpsp is not mountain flying unless you make it so. It is a simple flight plan as long as you are night current and can plan appropriately. Definitely don't do it if you feel any sense of uncertainty or can't figure out a safe route and plan on your own as you will be flying it.

Last edited:
I have probably flown this route 50 times in my Aeronca with no navaids except the compass and with good WX it is simple. As many have said stay over I-10. But with strong winds stay home that airport gets lots of wild turbulence. The wind socks can point opposite at opposite ends of a runway.

Back