AME advice for a kid with Aspergers syndrome?

Martymccasland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M.McCasland
A family friend's 18-year-old son has wanted to be a pilot for ages. Spends all his time on Flight Simulator. Decided he was going to college to focus on aviation and was getting all the paperwork together last August (2018) before showing up to school. They were at the doctor's office getting the medical, were nearly done, and the doctor looked through his medical history and saw a borderline Aspergers diagnosis when he was many years younger and denied it. They sent all sorts of additional documentation to OKC and did the requested tests at considerable costs and were denied a medical.

While over a year old, I learned of it tonight, heard about how his pediatrician considers the diagnosis a reach and the fact he hasn't received treatment for it in many years. The family has given up and the kid is considering going to aircraft maintenance school as a second choice but his love is flying. He's basically been idle for the last year and doesn't really want to do anything else.

I told them from long term memory of various people and/or services that help in tricky cases like this (but all my memory was of cardiovascular, vision, etc. type issues -- couldn't remember anything on mental issues -- but would start asking).

So, does anyone know someone particularly well suited to take a look at the young man's file and maybe consult on getting it through the FAA?

Just hate for this young man to give up on his dream unless there really isn't anything that can be done.

Many thanks,
Marty
Commercial, Instrument, Multi-Land

Last edited:
This is really tough, Marty. In 25 years I have gotten TWO through. They were super high functioning. A third one did not make it. A fourth one was plainly unable to function well as captain but could function as PIC and he was denied. A fifth one was “Sheldoning” his dad and was not aware he was doing it. The sixth one was already a CFI who had not disclosed until a QA review was provoked by his behavior. His career ended and he lost his pilot certificates. He should never have been a pilot. It goes on and on....

The 35 year old is an FO at Alaska: he needed $3,000 evals annually for five years.

So, “it depends”. The trouble is not PIC; the trouble is being an effective captain, manager-judge-leader.....

Last edited:
That's a tough one. I went to A&P school with someone who has epilepsy and knew there was zero chance to get on as a pilot. He seemed content with it but it's definitely not flying. At least it would keep him in aviation. Would be worth looking at for your friend's child as well.

It sounds to to like he had a lower level of diagnosis, then became more of a non-issue?

Like most everything, it comes in varying levels. The lower level may have a better chance of overcoming the hurdle, though I’m certainly not versed on specifics.

Borderline Aspergers? Do they even diagnose Aspergers anymore? ASD stuff is so misunderstood. I would be interested to see how he was diagnosed.

If he is able to function well enough, he could take up ultralights, balloons, or gliders.

I wonder if the Canadian aviation authorities are any more reasonable about this stuff than the FAA.

Back