Zaxby's

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
On the now deleted Chick-fil-a thread, someone had asked about Zaxby's. For those who don't have them in their area, it's a southeastern fast food/fast casual chain that also has an all chicken menu, but the centerpiece of Zaxby's is chicken fingers, not a chicken sandwich. They also serve wings and salads, and have recently added a couple of chicken filet sandwiches. Most of the time whatever you order will come with crinkle cut fries and Texas toast, but you can substitute cole slaw for the fries if you like, or if you're hungry enough, get an order of cole slaw on the side. They also have a good selection of sauces. I usually get Wimpy sauce, which isn't as wimpy as it could be.

What would I get there? A boneless wings meal with wimpy sauce, or a Big Zax snack meal with comes with their house dipping sauce, or maybe the Kickin' Chicken sandwich meal. Probably my favorite thing there would be a house "Zalad" (salad) with fried chicken and Mediterranean dressing. I think their salads are the strongest items on their menu. I will say the chicken fingers there are a touch salty.

Also, their sweet tea is very good. The combination of good sweet tea and coleslaw is enough to lure me in the door.

We have one of those, it’s relatively new. I haven’t tried it yet.

Zaxby’s is pretty good albeit a little salty. The one near me could use a change of cooking oil more often as it taste a little burnt time to time. I used to always get their wings n things with mild sauce and a chocolate cookie milkshake. They stopped offering milkshakes so I cut back on my visits. Still go for the salad from time to time.

Between the two, I prefer Chick-fil-a, but Zaxby’s is okay. They have those Nibblerz that are pretty tasty, but it doesn’t take long at all to rack up a lot of calories there. Some of their nutritional information is quite surprising...

Wait They deleted my thread?? Not even locked. Just deleted??

Not a fan of Zaxby's - eaten there several times to make sure.

Agree about the politics.

That was me, so thank you. I am sorry/not sorry i missed a fast food thread devolving into politics.

However....

Also, their sweet tea is very good. The combination of good sweet tea and coleslaw is enough to lure me in the door.

The above-quoted sentence, to me, is face-melting blasphemy. Sweet Tea (aka liquid diabeetus) should be outlawed. like drinking karo syrup from the bottle. blaugh.

I may try a Zalad this week though :D I am no fan of wings..

(this message sponsored by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Rabble rabble rabble!) :D

That was me, so thank you. I am sorry/not sorry i missed a fast food thread devolving into politics.

However....

The above-quoted sentence, to me, is face-melting blasphemy. Sweet Tea (aka liquid diabeetus) should be outlawed. like drinking karo syrup from the bottle. blaugh.

I may try a Zalad this week though :D I am no fan of wings..

(this message sponsored by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Rabble rabble rabble!) :D

Disrespecting sweet tea? Them's fightin' words! o_O

I have eaten at Zaxby's many times, and I usually would eat their Blackened Bleu Zalad. It's pretty tasty. My only complaint with it is the same complaint I have with salads from most fast food kinds of places. Too much iceberg lettuce and not enough quality greens.

Actually, now that I think of it, Zax sauce is really good!

Zaxby's by any other name is Raising Cane's, lol.

We don't have those here. My neighbor, who attended the University of Georgia in Athens, tells me that Zaxby's is knockoff of Guthrie's, which definitely bases its menu on chicken fingers. There was a Guthrie's near my office but it closed a few years ago, and I can see where it could have been a proto-Zaxby's.

We don't have those here. My neighbor, who attended the University of Georgia in Athens, tells me that Zaxby's is knockoff of Guthrie's, which definitely bases its menu on chicken fingers. There was a Guthrie's near my office but it closed a few years ago, and I can see where it could have been a proto-Zaxby's.
There used to be a Guthrie’s atop Lookout Mountain <not too far from the hang glider launch> several years back. I always thought Guthrie’s was a knockoff of Zaxby’s LOL. A lot of similarities and their dipping sauce was nearly identical.

Zaxby's = trash

Raising Canes, Chik-fil-a or Slim Chickens are all far superior.

Zaxby's = trash

Lol, my suburb has all three of those within a block of each other as well as a few other variations (Charlie's Chicken, KFC, etc). Zaxby's is a mile away. That area of town is locally known as the Fried Chicken and Mattress District, lol.

I have noticed quite a variance in service levels at different Zaxby's. The good ones are really good - on par with CFA service - but the bad ones can be really rough. My go-to is the Traditional Wings-n-Things with hot honey mustard, but their zalads are pretty darn good too - and made fresh daily. Living where I live, I have no fewer than 6 CFAs and 5 Zaxby's within a 20 minute drive of my house. We is in chicken land, y'all!

...also, can we stop the lie about "boneless wings" and just call them what they are - chicken nuggets!?

I only go there when other restaurants are packed in town because Zaxbys usually isn’t crowded. Since the chicken finger meal isn’t the healthiest meal in the world for me, I don’t go there much.

Meh. Not impressed by Zaxby's. The times I've tried them (multiple times, different places), I was left with poor impression of the service and nothing special about the food. I'll take good southern BBQ any day of the week.

And then there was the abomination called "sweet tea", which was like chewing on a piece of sugar cane with a Karo syrup chaser. Blech. (But I do like CocaCola and Moon Pies).

I used to like Zaxbys. Wings and things nuclear was my go to. I ate there every month of so. Then I had a wake up call during a DOT physical, BP was high. I immediately dropped the salt content of my food and eliminated fast food nearly completely. After a year away from Zaxbys I tried to eat there again while traveling with a group. I found it disgusting. Its all fat and salt. Even the salads seem to be loaded with salt to my taste buds.

CFA and Zaxbys are quite different. I do not think they make a good comparison.

So when I was at KDAB for a month for training I lived near a Checkers. I got hooked on their burgers and fries. I was happy to get back home as I was really going to town on those. Was a daily thing!!! I couldn’t get enough

Zaxby's = trash

that may be the first time I’ve heard “raising canes” and superior in a positive context. They are usually called out for things like their superior filth.

I used to like Zaxbys. Wings and things nuclear was my go to. I ate there every month of so. Then I had a wake up call during a DOT physical, BP was high. I immediately dropped the salt content of my food and eliminated fast food nearly completely. After a year away from Zaxbys I tried to eat there again while traveling with a group. I found it disgusting. Its all fat and salt. Even the salads seem to be loaded with salt to my taste buds.

CFA and Zaxbys are quite different. I do not think they make a good comparison.
No doubt our tastes change when we adjust our diet. It is a real wake-up call to drastically reduce salt, sugar, and fat, for a long period of time, then to go back and try some of those foods we used to eat. It really opens your eyes to just how bad they are.

Zaxbys' grilled chicken sandwich is, in my opinion, better than any other fast food joints. It's the only thing I order from there now. The rest of their menu is meh.

that may be the first time I’ve heard “raising canes” and superior in a positive context. They are usually called out for things like their superior filth.

Our local Raising Canes are are all quite good.

Zaxbys' grilled chicken sandwich is, in my opinion, better than any other fast food joints. It's the only thing I order from there now. The rest of their menu is meh.

I went through a phase where I was always getting their grilled chicken house salad with Mediterranean dressing. It was a relatively healthy option. Of course, last night I went with trad wings & things with original sauce and large sweet tea, which is the OPPOSITE of healthy option...

I have driven past many Zaxby's. never been there. Don't plan to ever go there.

It's just another Chicken joint, right?

Meh.

Sort-of related. There's a quickly-growing franchise called Chicken Salad Chick which has some good stuff. Nothing fried, but lots of variations of chicken salad which are pretty healthy calorie-wise.

Sort-of related. There's a quickly-growing franchise called Chicken Salad Chick which has some good stuff. Nothing fried, but lots of variations of chicken salad which are pretty healthy calorie-wise.

I didn't understand how they could build a whole business out of chicken salad - chicken, mayo, pickles/relish... Then I realized that they put darn near anything in chicken salad these days - grapes, nuts, quinoa, apples... What the heck!? Commies. All commies.

It’s pretty decent too and relatively inexpensive. Healthier than Zaxby’s is by a long shot.

I'm holding out for the "Impossible Chicken Sandwich"... a sandwich made entirely out of vegetable matter pretending to be a chicken breast, but with more sodium and not any healthier than real chicken. Maybe a "Nashville Hot Vegetable Chicken" kind of thing...

One of our kids lives near Nashville and introduced us to Nashville Hot Chicken a year or so ago. Probably not great for you, but man, is it GOOOD.

I'm holding out for the "Impossible Chicken Sandwich"... a sandwich made entirely out of vegetable matter pretending to be a chicken breast, but with more sodium and not any healthier than real chicken. Maybe a "Nashville Hot Vegetable Chicken" kind of thing...

One of our kids lives near Nashville and introduced us to Nashville Hot Chicken a year or so ago. Probably not great for you, but man, is it GOOOD.
I'd be willing to bet that some white-coated scientist is working on just such a thing in some lab in the basement of some building somewhere.

Back