Air-to-Air Sedona, AZ - November 2019

I am so ready for this! We've had four power outages in October, the last one ending last night at 7:00. It lasted 96 hours. Fortunately, we weren't in a mandatory evacuation zone. Camping out in your home eating canned Dinty Moore beef stew every night for four days isn't my idea of having fun. :frown:

I plan to arrive Sunday and will be staying at the Sky Ranch Lodge a short walk from SEZ.

EDIT - After checking hotel prices, I switched my reservation to the Lux Verde Hotel in Cottonwood; it's less than half the price of Sky Ranch Lodge. No brainer.

Super 8 in Cottonwood for me!

I don’t even own a plane and still wish I could come out for this. Have fun and fly safe.

Are there any airports you can camp at nearby?

So coordinating everyone has never been my strength! Here's what I think I know and questions I have. Sorry for conducting business on the forum, just trying to make sure nobody flies out and feels like I didn't get them scheduled for the time we agreed upon.

We can do two shoots in the morning and two in the afternoons. I don't like to do more because I lose the golden light. If needed, we can stretch that, EAA usually

I plan to be land in Cottonwood on Thursday. So far, I have nothing scheduled for Friday. If you're available then, let me know!

If you're not on the list and you want to join us, please let me know quickly.

Friday
Open

Saturday
Doug Kott - afternoon shoot.
Rusty - you're arriving Saturday. Are we doing a Sunday shoot or do you want a Saturday shoot?

Sunday
Ken Reed

Monday
Stan Cooper - Monday afternoon shoot.
Jamie Kirk - morning or afternoon?

Katherine Rawlins - I think you wanted Sunday or Monday, is that still good?
Glenn Brasch - I owe you a call about Tuscon.

Already have the dog-sitter scheduled to keep our monsters.
Do you want me touching down at Sedona or Cottonwood?
I'd like to do a Saturday shoot.
I'll fly up any time you say.
And when is that?

Already have the dog-sitter scheduled to keep our monsters.
Do you want me touching down at Sedona or Cottonwood?
I'd like to do a Saturday shoot.
I'll fly up any time you say.
And when is that?
Let's do a Saturday sunrise shoot then. I'm open to suggestions since I've never flown there before. I'm thinking we stage each morning/afternoon in Sedona. In the mornings, I think we will need to fly West, then turn back East to get the best scenery. Although, now that I'm looking at it, it looks like the area to the East is very nice as well. This is why I'm trying to get in on Thursday and do some recon!

If you fly South from SEZ along 179, you will have rocks on both sides of you to get some stunning pics. You can fly low enough to have them in the background without any issues. You can also fly a bit West of 179, with the best pics looking to the East. There are some rocks just north of SEZ you can fly through also but do some flights from above to scope out the area first. Finally, there are some great valleys you can fly down (one is along 89A North heading out of Sedona which is more wooded as you head North, and another almost just South that has spectacular backdrops).

SEZ picture routes - Airplane.jpg SEZ picture routes - Airplane.jpg SEZ picture routes - Airplane.jpg

Jack, I would have very much enjoyed the opportunity to participate. But for unavoidable obligations this month I would have been there, no question.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Sedona enough to plan an encore! :)

As all aviators know, we can have the best plans in mind and the weather may have other plans. It's not looking good in Austin on Thursday, but we're still making the trip. We'll either leave this evening and fly far enough West to avoid the Thursday mess, or get up early on Friday and head that way. Either way, the trip is still on. Luckily nobody took me up on the Friday offer yet!

As all aviators know, we can have the best plans in mind and the weather may have other plans. It's not looking good in Austin on Thursday, but we're still making the trip. We'll either leave this evening and fly far enough West to avoid the Thursday mess, or get up early on Friday and head that way. Either way, the trip is still on. Luckily nobody took me up on the Friday offer yet!

If you're flying today (Wednesday) be careful west of my area (El Paso) in southern NM. Everything looks good on the weekend from my area through AZ

Yeah, rain the t-storms here in Sedona today - first rain in months! Luckily it's supposed to move out and be back to sunny and 70's tomorrow and through next week. For those coming here, remember that it gets cold at night and in the morning. Bring some warmer clothes if you plan on enjoying the mornings or evenings.

So coordinating everyone has never been my strength! Here's what I think I know and questions I have. Sorry for conducting business on the forum, just trying to make sure nobody flies out and feels like I didn't get them scheduled for the time we agreed upon.

We can do two shoots in the morning and two in the afternoons. I don't like to do more because I lose the golden light. If needed, we can stretch that, EAA usually

I plan to be land in Cottonwood on Thursday. So far, I have nothing scheduled for Friday. If you're available then, let me know!

If you're not on the list and you want to join us, please let me know quickly.

Friday
Open

Saturday
Doug Kott - afternoon shoot.
Rusty - you're arriving Saturday. Are we doing a Sunday shoot or do you want a Saturday shoot?

Sunday
Ken Reed

Monday
Stan Cooper - Monday afternoon shoot.
Jamie Kirk - morning or afternoon?

Katherine Rawlins - I think you wanted Sunday or Monday, is that still good?
Glenn Brasch - I owe you a call about Tuscon.

I can do Sunday second AM session or afternoon session.

I can only do Monday AM session.

Let me know what works better for you.

Last edited:
I think Monday AM works.

We left Central Texas yesterday to get ahead of this morning’s storms. It worked, but we’re now stuck in Fort Stockton waiting for the scud to lift. Good news is, it’s a pretty cool airport with a nice pilot’s lounge. I’ve been stuck in worse.

Wish I could be there.... Can't wait for the pix... Get "Snoopy" rock in one of the plane pix.

Here's a little Sedona inspiration (as if we needed any!):

Hope the muck lifts for you soon, Jack. Should be clear skies on Saturday.

I officially cancelled my room in Cottonwood for tonight and extended through Wednesday. Called a weather briefer and she said VFR not recommended until at least tomorrow morning. We’re settled in at a bar in Pecos, TX having a beer or two and enjoying life!

I officially cancelled my room in Cottonwood for tonight and extended through Wednesday. Called a weather briefer and she said VFR not recommended until at least tomorrow morning. We’re settled in at a bar in Pecos, TX having a beer or two and enjoying life!
Having a beer is the best way to turn a dangerously rushed ADM process into a safe and leisurely 8-hour one. If you don’t know whether it’s a good idea to fly, then it’s a good idea to have a beer instead.

I really hope you make this trip in the future, after I finish and paint my RV. The Sedona rocks should help distract from my less than perfect riveting. :)

Well, today I spent some quality time with a can of Turtle Wax and a polish rag, getting Ol' Paint ready for her photo shoot tomorrow. She'll look acceptable for polite company, but will still be a member in good standing of the Dirty Belly Club. There just better not be any bugs in the air between here and Sedona tomorrow!!

Finally made it to Cottonwood. Having a beer (I’m starting to sound like an alcoholic here!) with my buddy Ted and ready for the morning shoot with Rusty and Jeff.

Glad you made it to Cottonwood, Jack. So I'm planning to go to Sedona tomorrow and meet up there. Or I can go to Cottonwood, whatever you prefer.

Glad you made it to Cottonwood, Jack. So I'm planning to go to Sedona tomorrow and meet up there. Or I can go to Cottonwood, whatever you prefer.
I think meeting in Sedona is better and we'll fly west from there. I'm still learning the layout of the land though due to my late arrival. I'll reach out to you after our morning shoots to solidify our schedule.

Back