Partnership for New Student?

JC565

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mad_Scientist_565
I am interested in purchasing a Piper 236. Ive been browsing and researching for years and Ive pretty much settled on that airplane. But, I'd really like your advice on starting my journey here in regards to "affordability" (thats a funny word on this site) I am just "seriously" getting into my training now that I have cleared some other hurdles in my career. Ideally, I would like to buy this airplane in partnership with another party. (KFYV or close by if anyone is interested)

My expectations are that I would have half (or a third) of the cost of the airplane, half the maintenance cost, operational cost per hour, and for insurance I would pay the difference in cost, if its more than half of the total, or, half the total. I also expect that we would consider renting the airplane out. (being a student/low hour pilot and a rental, I'm sure insurance will be painful)

My goal here is to get an airplane that I can get to a commercial certificate with quickly. While having something capable of doing 1000nm trips with in a reasonable amount of time.(1 fuel stop) I like the 236 since its roomier, fixed gear, and has good useful load and from what I hear the tapered wing is a little faster. I feel this is my best option for MY bottom line. I don't want to spend 40 grand on rent.

Does anyone here have any serious advice on this plan, (maybe even a sample partnership contract would be great.) Alternatively I would consider an equity partnership in a club, but I really prefer no more than 2 partners since I want to fly a couple hundred hours a year and plan on being going for up to 8 days at a time. Id be open to any suggestions on how to make this happen. Air travel is becoming a serious part of my career and this would be a great tool for my toolbox.

1000nm with one fuel stop...did I read that right?

1 fuel stop per 500 nm should be easy, unless pushing a huge head wind. They say 650 nm range, so a lot of reserve left...or pull the power back a bit to economy cruise and it is even further.

Last edited:
Do it!
You won't regret owning your own plane.

I mean right after you purchase it and for a few weeks you will totally regret it and think "What the hell have I done?"
But after that part you won't regret it.

Also during unexpected maintenance, you will totally regret it.

ALL the other times you will be like "This is the best decision I ever made" (Don't say that out loud in front of your spouse though)

If you rent out the airplane, you'll be a renter just like anyone else, meaning you'll have to schedule and probably won't have priority. You'll also pay at least 4X for insurance (not counting you!) as well as increased maintenance costs. Plus you won't know who used the airplane last, won't have a warm, fuzzy feeling that there's nothing wrong since the last time you flew it, and so on.

Next issue about the rental - do a survey of at least 8-10 flight schools/rental organizations to see if the 236 is appropriate as a rental.

Third...is the 236 suitable for the commercial rating?

The 236 is not roomier. It's the same size as any other Cherokee.

You need a Warrior, 180, or an Archer IMO if you want to rent it and want a Piper. Somewhere along the way you'll need to get 10 hours of dual retract, but you can do the rest of your commercial and the checkride in a non-complex plane.

This is pretty much what my brother and I are considering. I'm a recent CFI, he's got his private and will get his instrument from his Air Force qual, just needs flight time and I'll be able to get him his commercial. I'd like to be able to instruct on the side without insurance being insane, so that limits us some on aircraft that fit our needs. For us, a partnership is the only way that makes financial "sense" (very loosely applied :lol: ) because of what it would take for him to rent to get the hours he needs, and the initial costs it would take for me to get a plane and instruct without going broke.

If you rent out the airplane, you'll be a renter just like anyone else, meaning you'll have to schedule and probably won't have priority. You'll also pay at least 4X for insurance (not counting you!) as well as increased maintenance costs. Plus you won't know who used the airplane last, won't have a warm, fuzzy feeling that there's nothing wrong since the last time you flew it, and so on.

Next issue about the rental - do a survey of at least 8-10 flight schools/rental organizations to see if the 236 is appropriate as a rental.

Third...is the 236 suitable for the commercial rating?

That does make sense. My argument for being a relatively desirable rental was the same reason I want to buy it. Good payload, good range, decent speed. But I wouldnt want to have to rent the airplane for 400 hours just to break even or something crazy. Id much prefer it be a once in a while type of thing by a few people that might have other less capable airplanes of their own.

The 236 is not roomier. It's the same size as any other Cherokee.

You need a Warrior, 180, or an Archer IMO if you want to rent it and want a Piper. Somewhere along the way you'll need to get 10 hours of dual retract, but you can do the rest of your commercial and the checkride in a non-complex plane.

unfortunately I cant buy 2 airplanes and a 180 cant do my payload. when i said "roomier" i meant compared to early model 235s. they stretched the cabin in 73. I want a 236 because I prefer a slightly newer and tapered wing.

1000nm with one fuel stop...did I read that right?
So realistically my flight is 860nm. but that 1000 was just a "quickly type this number" because I thought the airplane could do it. (assuming moderate conditions and not fighting a huge headwind) Dont worry I would be make 100% sure i have the fuel to do the trip. Im not interested in pushing my luck at all.

Dakota's are great planes. You can load 4 adults, bags and 72 gal of fuel. I would flight plan about 130- 135 kts in mine. You'll burn 12-14gph.

As a rental....I think insurance would kill. Maybe find a couple guys with some decent TT (couple hundred hrs or more)that could use the extra load, speed, etc and name them on insurance. Charge them a low fee and hourly cost to help offset your fixed costs.

unfortunately I cant buy 2 airplanes and a 180 cant do my payload. when i said "roomier" i meant compared to early model 235s. they stretched the cabin in 73. I want a 236 because I prefer a slightly newer and tapered wing.

What exactly is your payload? 4 people and bags 80% of your flights while you build time? Because you made it sound like you are going to be building time and an Archer will still fit 4 reasonably sized people with fuel to the tabs when that mission comes up (and it will come up much less than you think). If you are wanting a Dakota simply to avoid the occasional fuel stop because it'll fly a little further, that's a terrible trade off in costs.

The problem with a high performance plane for you will be a myriad of things. Maintenance costs are higher on the 6 cylinder, fuel costs are 3-5 GPH more, and insurance will be sky-high for you as a student.

Finding a partner who's willing to split a 3-4x normal premium on insurance with you and all the wear and tear you will personally put on the plane while learning to fly it will be difficult, especially with you wanting to fly hundreds of hours and take it for 8 day trips routinely. Finding someone who wants to do all that while renting it out as well will be nearly impossible.

You shouldn't definitely try your plan, because who knows? Maybe another student wants in or something. But you should also be ready to backtrack to a more realistic plan when your original likely doesn't work out.

ALL the other times you will be like "This is the best decision I ever made" (Don't say that out loud in front of your spouse though)
Or in front of the airplane - something may break.

Not likely, unless it's had a major avionics upgrade.

You can get your commercial in a ratted out 172 now. I did.

You just need 10 hours of dual complex at some point along the journey.

Picking the partner will be much harder than picking the plane (and much riskier).

But if you have a partner, keep in mind that at your level, you will be raising insurance rates for both (unless he too is training).

Having said that, if you are flying for a commercial rating, I would suggest buying something much smaller (that is easy to sell) first so you can build time cheaply and at your convenience. If you can buy an IFR capable (think Nav/ILS/LOC, no GPS) Cessna 150/172 or Cherokee 160, they will use half the fuel of a 236, build the same skills, and be cheaper to insure. Then, once you have your CPL and IR, look to sell and buy into a partnership (or find a partner to buy with). While a good XC machine is cool, keep in mind that for ratings you need hours not miles. The transaction costs of buying and selling a good, solid smaller plane will be less than the difference in operating costs with the bigger faster aircraft. Plus you will not have to schedule around a partner.

Alternatives, look for existing partnerships in Arrows, 182s, and Commanches. Buying into an existing partnership may be better because the partners will have experience dealing with each other, and structures (or at least habits) in place to manage things with the other pilots. Just keep in mind that partnerships are harder to sell, and many existing ones will shy away from approving low time pilot new members.

I have a question for the OP.
When you talk about flying with four people, is this your family?
If so and two are kids, they likely don't weigh much either.
Big difference between four men that weigh 180 to 200 each, and one man at 180 to 200, wife between 100 to 140, and two kids who are maybe 30 to 80 each. Before my wife and one daughter passed away, the four of us could fly in a 172 with full tanks, and payload to spare. After many years of not owning a 172, but having several other planes since, I have ordered a new 172. My typical flying is about 40% alone, 30% the girlfriend and I, 20% the girlfriend our HUGE great dane (191 lbs ) and I, 10% the girlfriend my daughter ( now a grown adult) and our dog plus myself. Even if I have to leave a bit of fuel behind, even a 172 can easily fly any normal trip I want to do. Often a bigger and more powerful plane, is just not needed as often as people think they will use it. I bought a Bonanza not because I wanted it, but to keep my wife happy, when she was still alive she wanted more room for all of us, because we then also had two great danes, although they were normal size for a dane those two, not HUGE like my current dane is. Ive had 9 great danes, so i understand normal sized, and my current dane which is freakishly large, or as my vet puts it " I have never in my 35 year career as a vet seen a dane so large, I'm not sure whether to treat him as a dog or a horse".

Dakota's are great planes. You can load 4 adults, bags and 72 gal of fuel. I would flight plan about 130- 135 kts in mine. You'll burn 12-14gph.

As a rental....I think insurance would kill. Maybe find a couple guys with some decent TT (couple hundred hrs or more)that could use the extra load, speed, etc and name them on insurance. Charge them a low fee and hourly cost to help offset your fixed costs.

Based on your wording, I think you are implying a dakota may be more expensive to insure as a rental, than say a 172? My question would be why is that? Fixed gear, no constant speed prop, not complex, shouldnt they be pretty similar in regards to rental insurance rate? Is it the horsepower??

What exactly is your payload? 4 people and bags 80% of your flights while you build time? Because you made it sound like you are going to be building time and an Archer will still fit 4 reasonably sized people with fuel to the tabs when that mission comes up (and it will come up much less than you think). If you are wanting a Dakota simply to avoid the occasional fuel stop because it'll fly a little further, that's a terrible trade off in costs.

The problem with a high performance plane for you will be a myriad of things. Maintenance costs are higher on the 6 cylinder, fuel costs are 3-5 GPH more, and insurance will be sky-high for you as a student.

Finding a partner who's willing to split a 3-4x normal premium on insurance with you and all the wear and tear you will personally put on the plane while learning to fly it will be difficult, especially with you wanting to fly hundreds of hours and take it for 8 day trips routinely. Finding someone who wants to do all that while renting it out as well will be nearly impossible.

You shouldn't definitely try your plan, because who knows? Maybe another student wants in or something. But you should also be ready to backtrack to a more realistic plan when your original likely doesn't work out.

So to address your points in order here, from my very uneducated perspective, it appears to me the dakota has the edge over the archer. But I honestly havent researched the archer enough to make the comparison. Im basing that on a quick look at range payload and speed. You certainly have valid points on the maintenance and fuel. Im not worried so much about the fuel, but the engine cost does concern me.

in regards to insurance, My assumption I would pay whatever amount the insurance increases. I know it would be more than half the cost, and I wouldnt expect anyone to pay any portion of my share. (this is part of the reason why i want to build time quickly)

The more i read into this the less using it as a rental looks possible. another poster suggested finding just a couple of other pilots and putting them on the insurance, and I think that would be more down my alley. Im certainly not renting it to a flight school.

Picking the partner will be much harder than picking the plane (and much riskier).

But if you have a partner, keep in mind that at your level, you will be raising insurance rates for both (unless he too is training).

Having said that, if you are flying for a commercial rating, I would suggest buying something much smaller (that is easy to sell) first so you can build time cheaply and at your convenience. If you can buy an IFR capable (think Nav/ILS/LOC, no GPS) Cessna 150/172 or Cherokee 160, they will use half the fuel of a 236, build the same skills, and be cheaper to insure. Then, once you have your CPL and IR, look to sell and buy into a partnership (or find a partner to buy with). While a good XC machine is cool, keep in mind that for ratings you need hours not miles. The transaction costs of buying and selling a good, solid smaller plane will be less than the difference in operating costs with the bigger faster aircraft. Plus you will not have to schedule around a partner.

Alternatives, look for existing partnerships in Arrows, 182s, and Commanches. Buying into an existing partnership may be better because the partners will have experience dealing with each other, and structures (or at least habits) in place to manage things with the other pilots. Just keep in mind that partnerships are harder to sell, and many existing ones will shy away from approving low time pilot new members.

Thanks for the partnership advice. This is really what I was looking for. So I didnt mention but I also have access to a 150 that I can fly fairly cheaply. (basically fuel cost) I have that option if I want it, and ill probably exercise it occasionally when I just want to go out and put around..But again, my primary goal here is to fly the family, and once i get commercial, co-workers and product. (payload is my main concern)

Lets say I were to take your advice, I could go by a 45,000 dollar 172 tomorrow. burn up 250 hours of engine, and then sell it for whatever. But I am concerned how long it would take me to sell. I see ALOT of small airplanes for sell, that have long posting dates on them. what the chances I could really move it quickly and get into something else?

The longer i stay on this forum the more I think I should just not partner and not rent and eat noodles. :D

I have a question for the OP.
When you talk about flying with four people, is this your family?
If so and two are kids, they likely don't weigh much either.
Big difference between four men that weigh 180 to 200 each, and one man at 180 to 200, wife between 100 to 140, and two kids who are maybe 30 to 80 each. Before my wife and one daughter passed away, the four of us could fly in a 172 with full tanks, and payload to spare. After many years of not owning a 172, but having several other planes since, I have ordered a new 172. My typical flying is about 40% alone, 30% the girlfriend and I, 20% the girlfriend our HUGE great dane (191 lbs ) and I, 10% the girlfriend my daughter ( now a grown adult) and our dog plus myself. Even if I have to leave a bit of fuel behind, even a 172 can easily fly any normal trip I want to do. Often a bigger and more powerful plane, is just not needed as often as people think they will use it. I bought a Bonanza not because I wanted it, but to keep my wife happy, when she was still alive she wanted more room for all of us, because we then also had two great danes, although they were normal size for a dane those two, not HUGE like my current dane is. Ive had 9 great danes, so i understand normal sized, and my current dane which is freakishly large, or as my vet puts it " I have never in my 35 year career as a vet seen a dane so large, I'm not sure whether to treat him as a dog or a horse".

So at the beginning, the bulk of my time will be alone. Once I get around 100 hours, and really feel comfortable (or however long it takes) i will rarely fly alone. Once i get a commercial, If Im not flying family, Ill be flying for work. Again, not alone. Yes your described the weights about right, but the kids do grow!

How did your 172 do on speed and range? Im not opposed to a cessna, but I really prefer a piper.

Sorry to hear about your wife and daughter.

Thanks for all your input everyone. I know I ask alot of questions about your points. Trust me I am just doing it to really try and get this straight in my head about what makes the most sense. I hope i didnt since like I was trying to debate anyone :D

Thanks for the partnership advice. This is really what I was looking for. So I didnt mention but I also have access to a 150 that I can fly fairly cheaply. (basically fuel cost) I have that option if I want it, and ill probably exercise it occasionally when I just want to go out and put around..But again, my primary goal here is to fly the family, and once i get commercial, co-workers and product. (payload is my main concern)

Lets say I were to take your advice, I could go by a 45,000 dollar 172 tomorrow. burn up 250 hours of engine, and then sell it for whatever. But I am concerned how long it would take me to sell. I see ALOT of small airplanes for sell, that have long posting dates on them. what the chances I could really move it quickly and get into something else?

The longer i stay on this forum the more I think I should just not partner and not rent and eat noodles. :D

I try to give the requested advice before the unsolicited. If you look at the stuff that sells quickly, it is typically common trainers that are priced under AOPA's Vref (https://www.aopa.org/members/vref/ if you are a member). As someone who is shopping, common trainers priced under Vref tend to sell quickly. I have had a couple of planes that sold before I could get out to look at them, to the point where (in my budget, under 30K), I am not even looking at 172s on the open market.

And if you go with a smaller plane, you can afford to discount.
Cost comparison per hour:
Cost PA28-235 vs C150
Airframe $2.13 $0.34
Engine $17.00 $11.00
Fuel@$4g $60 $24
Saving per hour: $43.79 over 200 hours: $8758
This does not include insurance (the C150 will be cheaper) or annual (again, C150 will be cheaper)

Until you get your commercial, that leaves a decent amount of cash to rent for the flights where the smaller plane will not work. I would suggest going with a plane you can log hood time in, but renting for instrument training and the check ride (if going instrument before commercial).

Edit: per hour depreciation is based on AOPA vref

The Dakota does have a constant speed prop.

It's high performance, so higher insurance costs, but the main factor is a student + a high performance aircraft. That's not a combination they like although they will at least insure you and your 2nd years insurance will plummet.

I've got a 182P, so I'm not a Cherokee fanboy or anything (although I have about 100 hours in them). But if you want a plane to learn in that will still haul a good load and have cross country utility, you can't beat the cost nexus of the 160HP Warrior. I used to fly one that had 950 pound useful load and would get 110 knots on 8GPH. That's a good combination and I liked it better than a 172.

An Archer will be more expensive as they are more sought after, although they are faster and will usually be in the 1050 pound useful load range, which is usually enough to get 4 people in it for 3-4 hours of endurance.

Other factors you need to be thinking about are the panel just as much as payload. If you buy a basic 6 pack with an ancient GPS, it's not going to sell well when it comes time to sell. ADSB mandate is a factor too.

Last edited:
You can get your commercial in a ratted out 172 now. I did.

You just need 10 hours of dual complex at some point along the journey.

Not anymore. A technically advanced aircraft can be used instead of a complex.

I try to give the requested advice before the unsolicited. If you look at the stuff that sells quickly, it is typically common trainers that are priced under AOPA's Vref (https://www.aopa.org/members/vref/ if you are a member). As someone who is shopping, common trainers priced under Vref tend to sell quickly. I have had a couple of planes that sold before I could get out to look at them, to the point where (in my budget, under 30K), I am not even looking at 172s on the open market.

And if you go with a smaller plane, you can afford to discount.
Cost comparison per hour:
Cost PA28-235 vs C150
Airframe $2.13 $0.34
Engine $17.00 $11.00
Fuel@$4g $60 $24
Saving per hour: $43.79 over 200 hours: $8758
This does not include insurance (the C150 will be cheaper) or annual (again, C150 will be cheaper)

Until you get your commercial, that leaves a decent amount of cash to rent for the flights where the smaller plane will not work. I would suggest going with a plane you can log hood time in, but renting for instrument training and the check ride (if going instrument before commercial).

Edit: per hour depreciation is based on AOPA vref

I appreciate you doing that math for me. can i ask where you found the numbers? Id like to do the same thing with a few other airplanes.

The Dakota does have a constant speed prop.

It's high performance, so higher insurance costs, but the main factor is a student + a high performance aircraft. That's not a combination they like although they will at least insure you and your 2nd years insurance will plummet.

I've got a 182P, so I'm not a Cherokee fanboy or anything (although I have about 100 hours in them). But if you want a plane to learn in that will still haul a good load and have cross country utility, you can't beat the cost nexus of the 160HP Warrior. I used to fly one that had 950 pound useful load and would get 110 knots on 8GPH. That's a good combination and I liked it better than a 172.

An Archer will be more expensive as they are more sought after, although they are faster and will usually be in the 1050 pound useful load range, which is usually enough to get 4 people in it for 3-4 hours of endurance.

Other factors you need to be thinking about are the panel just as much as payload. If you buy a basic 6 pack with an ancient GPS, it's not going to sell well when it comes time to sell. ADSB mandate is a factor too.

Solid advice here, and exactly what I'm trying to convince my brother on for when we are ready to buy.

Thanks for the advice. I think an archer would do the job. Ill take a serious look at the cost vs the dakota. I am looking for a plane with a decent avionics package already installed but at a minimum im prepared to install a G5 and engine monitor day 1.

There are some really nice Archers on trade-a-plane at the moment. I've been looking at them daily for the better part of a week.

There are some really nice Archers on trade-a-plane at the moment. I've been looking at them daily for the better part of a week.

im seeing that as well. Literally looking as the email alert to your message came in. but im also seeing 75-80k. The dakota Im looking at is 85.

One fuel stop is doable. I’ve done KRNO to KFMN (570nm) in my Dakota.

Go with the Dakota if you can make it work. You are not going to be happy in an Archer when you really wanted a Dakota. When training and building hours you can pull the throttle back to about 19-20 inches on the MP on the Dakota and burn just a very little more fuel than the Archer running the same speed. However, with the Dakota you will have the payload, speed and climb performance when you want it. The insurance is pretty much just a first year thing assuming you put 150-200 hours on the plane before you go to renew. Maintenance and annual on the 6 cylinder will be a little more but not crazy more. Get the plane you want now instead of having to sell and then get it later!

Go with the Dakota if you can make it work. You are not going to be happy in an Archer when you really wanted a Dakota. When training and building hours you can pull the throttle back to about 19-20 inches on the MP on the Dakota and burn just a very little more fuel than the Archer running the same speed. However, with the Dakota you will have the payload, speed and climb performance when you want it. The insurance is pretty much just a first year thing assuming you put 150-200 hours on the plane before you go to renew. Maintenance and annual on the 6 cylinder will be a little more but not crazy more. Get the plane you want now instead of having to sell and then get it later!

This is really what i want to do... but I am also trying to weight the advice and opinions of people who have been doing this a long time. The number that markh posted, ($8800 difference between the 150 and 236) doesnt scare me off of the 236. but alot of people have valid points here. I think the archer could work for me, but like you said, why not have the performance?

One fuel stop is doable. I’ve done KRNO to KFMN (570nm) in my Dakota.

would you mind sharing some of your experience in regards to maintenance with yours? whats a typical annual look like?

This is really what i want to do... but I am also trying to weight the advice and opinions of people who have been doing this a long time. The number that markh posted, ($8800 difference between the 150 and 236) doesnt scare me off of the 236. but alot of people have valid points here. I think the archer could work for me, but like you said, why not have the performance?

If that number does not scare you off, then buy the Dakota. There is nothing wrong with going the more expensive route if you know what you are getting into.

Back